G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The full tint certainly helps. I know people hate the tail-light extension, but it doesn't bother me. What does bug me a lot is that stupid fender vent thing. Totally out of place and tacky looking. I wonder if there's an aftermarket for blanks to replace it?

Have you driven the Stinger yet? On paper, it seems all kinds of awesome. In person, it checks all the right boxes, yet still seems a little off for some reason. Except for the hatch. Absolutely love the hatch.
Couldn't agree more. That fender vent looks terrible (and so does the Kia badge). The hatch part is cool, but with the car lowered, that whole section looks a lot longer and almost too thick from the rear fender up to the window. It almost looks like a station wagon. I have not driven one yet, and probably won't because I like the styling of the G70 so much better and it handles better. Yes, there are a lot of strange styling quirks on this car. It seems like 10 different designers worked on different parts of this car and they tried to blend them all together.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-15-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:48 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
So I just drove an M550i, and now my car will forever feel slow
Old 05-22-2020, 02:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
So I just drove an M550i, and now my car will forever feel slow
Go test drive a Nissan Sentra. Problem solved.
iCrap (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Just had PTSD flash backs of when my cousin and I had to rent a Versa to drive from Missouri to MD...Had to stand on the gas with both feet just to make it up a hill.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Just had PTSD flash backs of when my cousin and I had to rent a Versa to drive from Missouri to MD...Had to stand on the gas with both feet just to make it up a hill.
I had a Versa rental once, and you're right, it makes my daughter's Sentra feel like a luxury sedan.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Especially a 2019 or older that is not a turbo, Nismo, or SE-R. Ironically, the 2020 Sentra and Versa are surprisingly good and actually look sporty for the 1st time in a long time. The Sentra finally has an independent suspension again and is getting rave reviews- even for handling. It does have 20% more power than last year, but is still not quick at all. I am hoping that they bring back an actual performance version of the Sentra like the old school SE-R or a Nismo version that actually has performance.

Car news overall has been pretty boring the last few weeks, but speaking of Nissan I believe they are supposed to announce a big new business plan on May 28th. Hopefully, this will give us some information on the new Z car. Still lots of rumors at this point. Lots of interesting renderings lately too.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I rented a Nissan Note (Versa's little brother) in 2008 or so. In towns it was surprisingly nimble. At speeds above 70kph however - the hamster was straining too much. You could watch the gas gauge visibly drop, IIRC had to keep revs at about 6k to keep from getting run over.

I thought that was the worst car I ever drove, until I rented a VW new beetle.

Drive either for a length of time, and the intiniti (ANY infiniti, even the new couch-like ones) feels like speed racer.

Actually, a lot of the rental cars I've had in the US were Ford Fusions in various trim, and they are quite nice for an american sedan. The sport model with the turbo small six is even pretty quick.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I rented a Nissan Note (Versa's little brother) in 2008 or so. In towns it was surprisingly nimble. At speeds above 70kph however - the hamster was straining too much. You could watch the gas gauge visibly drop, IIRC had to keep revs at about 6k to keep from getting run over.

I thought that was the worst car I ever drove, until I rented a VW new beetle.

Drive either for a length of time, and the intiniti (ANY infiniti, even the new couch-like ones) feels like speed racer.

Actually, a lot of the rental cars I've had in the US were Ford Fusions in various trim, and they are quite nice for an american sedan. The sport model with the turbo small six is even pretty quick.
The Versa Note is just the hatchback version so it has the same puny engine. It does get about 40+ mpg, but has no acceleration to speak of. They are however very light. I think the sedan was only about 2,500 lbs. I thought a few times about picking one up cheap used and dropping a motor with a lot more power into it, but then realized I would have to upgrade everything else and abandoned the idea pretty quickly.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I had the same thought with my father-in-laws MGB- replace wiring with painless wiring kit, install miata motor and trans, redo all the suspension...

OH. Yeah, one little reliability upgrade = full on monster project.

I've thought, over the years, that I should have a good gas mileage poopbox car for work and a fun car for the weekend. I got better...
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I had the same thought with my father-in-laws MGB- replace wiring with painless wiring kit, install miata motor and trans, redo all the suspension...

OH. Yeah, one little reliability upgrade = full on monster project.

I've thought, over the years, that I should have a good gas mileage poopbox car for work and a fun car for the weekend. I got better...
MGB you say???? My dad had one when I was young. It was an easy small car to work on. He tore the motor out and got a beefier cam to put in. While everything was out, brought to his buddy that owns a shop and had it painted firetruck red with ghost flames coming up from behind each headlight. Haven't seen or heard of many others since his.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Great MG stories guys! My dad had an MGB and an Alfa before I was born. (He always jokingly claimed he was much cooler before he met my mother because the cars got noticeably more bland with kids.) I definitely inherited my love of cars from him, but fortunately I am much more handy than he was. He was a genius and a Harvard grad, but he was not good with a wrench. I think I told this story here before somewhere, but one year my dad got the same membership card to the "Handyman club of America" that I am sure millions of people got. He joked that they must have secretly known that he was an excellent handyman and he could now become a member of this clearly "exclusive" club.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

F-I-L had a 77 MGB until they retired and moved into the woods - sports cars won't make it through his driveway well, and there's no covered parking (all convertibles leak, eventually...).

He gave it to my brother in law who kept it in the garage for a while and then sold it, never having driven it.
I actually turned down the chance to drive it the first time offered (when my wife and I were just dating) - I told him I couldn't afford to fix it when I broke it by driving it like it was supposed to be driven. When I finally did drive it years later, I peeled a tire off a rim sliding through a corner so... yeah, first call was the right one LOL.
4DRZ (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
F-I-L had a 77 MGB until they retired and moved into the woods - sports cars won't make it through his driveway well, and there's no covered parking (all convertibles leak, eventually...).

He gave it to my brother in law who kept it in the garage for a while and then sold it, never having driven it.
I actually turned down the chance to drive it the first time offered (when my wife and I were just dating) - I told him I couldn't afford to fix it when I broke it by driving it like it was supposed to be driven. When I finally did drive it years later, I peeled a tire off a rim sliding through a corner so... yeah, first call was the right one LOL.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:37 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Nobody in the US probably heard of this car. I would want to buy the Peugeot 407 Silhouette concept if it ever gets sold (there's 2 prototypes). Made in 2004, which means it won't be full of the stuff I dislike (absurd amounts of electronics). FWD, 312 bhp, and 270 ft lbs torque. Everything is functional on that car, including the fender slots and spoiler. The engine is a 3 liter V6 that is naturally aspirated, and it's one of the few that actually sound good. It has a sequential transmission. I would drive it EVERY SINGLE DAY. Despite misinformation from Top Gear UK, the French cars aren't unreliable like they make it for entertainment purposes. It's just when something goes wrong, you have to buy the whole component the part is from.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:24 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Ok I'm sold on the above after that last photo

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?