G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:15 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Lol, just makes you shake your head. Reminds me a lot when I see guys asking for exhaust system choices that sound like Motordyne, FI, or Ark but their budget is $300.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
The WRX/STi community reminds me a lot of this one. You have the weathered vets of the platform who have built their cars over the course of 10+ years and have done countless hours of research. They've consolidated that research and have made very detailed FAQs. Then, you have them interacting with younger individuals who are new to the platform that come in and put up threads saying, "Hey, just picked up a 20XX, XXX, I don't have time to read all this so how do I make 400whp, and retain reliability? My budget is $79.00." Makes for interesting exchanges...
This is pretty describes every car community I've participated in. The MK7 forums are no different. On one hand, with aging platforms, everything has been done, and there isn't much new development, so if everyone just searched, there wouldn't be much community interaction. But on the other hand, 'what is the best cai?' gets old.

Anyway, if there are any G37 owners looking for a replacement car who desire the raw driving experience while retaining everyday use without touchscreens and what not, I highly recommend giving the Subaru a look. They have a stigma due to the owners but what community doesn't? Also, there's a bit of a learning curve given the boxer nomenclature but once you watch a video or two you realize they're not bad at all to work on. The big thing with them is maintenance, mod planning and tune, tune, tune. Very different compared to our G37 where we can throw on mods as we go and tune when we can. You do that with that car and your motor will pop.
I've long been a STI fan for the raw experience, even the current generation has a engaging feel. Probably because not much has changed. If the next gen WRX/STI maintain that, and get a Forester grade interior, I think it will be a really compelling option.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
and get a Forester grade interior
Subaru's "Touring Edition" interiors are gorgeous. Saddle brown leather, with leather trim pieces, against matte black plastics and satin finish elements.

Just like this... not my wife's actual car, but exactly the same thing. It's a very rewarding place to be, and it's just a freaking Forester, for crying out loud. Thick leather steering wheel, a strong hand-brake, every tech imaginable in a car today, fantastic visibility, etc. Still love this car. I would dig maybe another 40 hp, but it is what it is for now, and that's fine for the family hauler.

Liking this car is what made me consider a "sporty" SUV, like the Mecan or the Selvio. But after poking at that bear a few times, I've come away discontent. Still don't know what my "next car" will be, and this whole pandemic has really made me reassess automotive values about something I never drive.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-24-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Subaru's "Touring Edition" interiors are gorgeous. Saddle brown leather, with leather trim pieces, against matte black plastics and satin finish elements.

Just like this... not my wife's actual car, but exactly the same thing. It's a very rewarding place to be, and it's just a freaking Forester, for crying out loud.

Yeah, current Subaru's have really nice looking interiors. Put that in a 350-360 HP 6MT STI and it will be a strong contender. Hopefully the styling isn't too gaudy.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Just on looks alone, I'm liking the new Evoque.

Overpriced for what it is, though. You can get a stylish, 2020 Mazda CX5 Turbo for tons less cash and just as much car. Recently, Mazda has started to lean upscale for their interior.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Overpriced for what it is, though. You can get a stylish, 2020 Mazda CX5 Turbo for tons less cash and just as much car. Recently, Mazda has started to lean upscale for their interior.
We shopped the 6 before getting an Accord years back, interior was better, but I thought the infotainment sucked, and the power was underwhelming, especially compared to the V6 in the Honda.

Have we done this one yet--RWD I6 6? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/

Old 04-24-2020, 10:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Have we done this one yet--RWD I6 6? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/
Yep. 10 days ago.

I will absolutely test drive an I6 Mazda that's trying to punch above it's weight. Very interesting.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:48 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yep. 10 days ago.
Right, that was blursday. Totally forgot. There is a possibility I was day drinking while quarantined.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Liking this car is what made me consider a "sporty" SUV, like the Mecan or the Selvio.
No interest in a SQ5?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
No interest in a SQ5?
Not really. I've never gotten beyond first impression on how bland it looks.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:55 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Not really. I've never gotten beyond first impression on how bland it looks.
I hear you, its nothing special on the outside. But the Supercharged six will let you have some fun with it.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I look past 'sporty' SUVs, I don't need a car that will do everything 'mediocre' in expense of gas mileage and ride quality. An SUV in my book needs to be reliable, durable, and comfortable. If you are looking at a Porsche SUV and looking past their sports cars I think you have it all backwards.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I don't think it's as prevalent since they use different pistons. I believe a lot of those engine pops are due to guys running CAIs without tunes and skimping on maintenance with a sprinkle of bad tunes (see. self tuned & cheap tune). The WRX's main weak point is the 5 speed. As I mentioned, that info is such a hit or miss though since it appears a lot of failures could be driver error and YOLO launches.

I may do the STi swap regardless if the 5 seed ever goes. Replacement 5 MT gears sets stronger than OEM exist that you can swap in but at $3-5k (before install), it doesn't make sense when a STi trans and driveline swap is $5k before install fees (it seems very straight forward of a swap though, so I'd do it myself).

Going right to the STi would've been great but there was not one example within 100 miles of me that was anywhere near what I was looking to spend with the mileage and in wagon/hatch form. The condition of the car and maintenance records was also a big selling point for me. I'll post some pics today if the rain lets up.

The WRX/STi community reminds me a lot of this one. You have the weathered vets of the platform who have built their cars over the course of 10+ years and have done countless hours of research. They've consolidated that research and have made very detailed FAQs. Then, you have them interacting with younger individuals who are new to the platform that come in and put up threads saying, "Hey, just picked up a 20XX, XXX, I don't have time to read all this so how do I make 400whp, and retain reliability? My budget is $79.00." Makes for interesting exchanges...These new comers are probably the same individuals who make the boxer seem as finicky as a RENESIS...Reminds me a lot of when I see guys asking about exhaust and suspension set-ups when there are literally hundreds of pages describing each option. If you don't want to read that much, skip to the last 10 pages and see what's relevant. Seems pretty simple to me.

Anyway, if there are any G37 owners looking for a replacement car who desire the raw driving experience while retaining everyday use without touchscreens and what not, I highly recommend giving the Subaru a look. They have a stigma due to the owners but what community doesn't? Also, there's a bit of a learning curve given the boxer nomenclature but once you watch a video or two you realize they're not bad at all to work on. The big thing with them is maintenance, mod planning and tune, tune, tune. Very different compared to our G37 where we can throw on mods as we go and tune when we can. You do that with that car and your motor will pop.
I think that's why I was lucky with my WRX. I drove that car extremely fast at a lot of track days, but never had an issue because I always kept the rumors about the glass tranny in the back of my mind. I think you have the right idea. If your trans ever goes, an STI driveline swap would be a fun improvement.

I don't know if you are talking about Nasioc, but that was the first car forum I joined in early '99 after I got my '98 2.5RS and I was one of the first to join. It used to be a lot like this forum, which I like. But now there are so many people there that the threads just fly by if you don't check them every hour and so many people who don't know what they are talking about. It is not as fun as it used to be. It got really crowded once used WRX's became affordable for every kid to pick up for their first fast car and then subsequently blow up because they didn't know what they were doing.

Inexpensive WRX's are all over the place here now like Civics used to be and they are all pretty ratty. It's too bad, because that was such a revolutionary car back in '02. Like you said, the STI is quite the opposite. There are a lot less of them and they hold their value really well on the used car market.

The new Mazda CX-5's are surprisingly luxurious inside and compared to the Evoque, you can actually fit a real person in the back seat. All the new Mazdas are really stepping it up in terms of quality materials inside and styling outside. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but they realized they would never sell high volume like Honda, Nissan, Toyota, so instead they decided to try to capture some of the entry luxury market from Acura and Infiniti.

I am curious to see how that new Mazda 6 pans out with the inline 6 cylinder we were talking about the other day. The current Mazda 6 and CX-5 with the turbo motor are fun and relatively quick, but they are not fast. It would be cool if Mazda got back to some faster high performance vehicles.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:43 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Got a few pics and a clip of the exhaust for anyone interested.

The following 2 users liked this post by RMB5190:
4DRZ (04-24-2020), Lego_Maniac (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 02:44 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?