G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
The lambo vs ferrari question - have my Muira delivered to the chalet, please.

4DRZ: It's not that we couldn't afford a Miata now. It is that a $25k purchase is something we'd talk about and plan for - not something I announce and show up with one day.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike

4DRZ: It's not that we couldn't afford a Miata now. It is that a $25k purchase is something we'd talk about and plan for - not something I announce and show up with one day.
LOL - A $200 purchase is something we'd talk about and plan for. For things like my rotors (which still haven't been installed, thank you pandemic), I started preparing my wife for the purchase years ahead of time. Literally... years. And it was still a huge, uncomfortable $1000 pill to swallow when I did it.

Just saying, it's all relative.

For something like "next car"... that will get talked about ad nauseam, believe me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
nelledge (04-17-2020), rotarymike (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
F1 tech is for marketing, as I doubt any owner actually uses it to the full potential like the mechanical Ferrari descendants, since the new ones end up sitting pretty at cars and coffee or at a rapper's garage. The tech masks a driver's real skill, and I don't want a computer telling me how to drive.

The F40 has gained too much popularity in recent years, I agree, and its mainly due to mainstream exposure (Gas Monkey, videogames, youtube) Before choosing the F40 as one I'd want as a dream, I was torn between deciding the F40 or the Enzo. They're both awesome machines, but I'd end up with the F40 mainly because it has a 5 speed manual transmission (save the manuals ) as opposed to the Enzo's automatic.

You mentioned Porsche and it brought a flashback of an old friend's Porsche 996 I got to drive, in manual. That car gets so much crap for the headlights, but it's one of my favorites. I still have a photo of me sitting in that car in my photo book. I remember he spent $10,000 dollars for a set of rims, and his wife was about to kill him because of it The 997s are probably the last good generation in my book, as the new ones look generic and they don't have the curves like the 997, and because the new ones have a butt-load of electronics that I do not like. My previous neighbor had a bright red 80s Carrera Turbo with the whale tail. My oh my, that car looked gorgeous. I always inspected it whenever I walked past it.

A little bit of Ferrari candy for your eyes. Still gives me goosebumps to this day, even when looking at online pictures.
Here is my rub with your lack of technology argument. If you claim that no one is able to reach the limits of those systems, then how is a computer telling you how to drive? It's not limiting your capability at all. Depending on the setting you choose, it is there to save your tail when you drive well beyond your limits. How is that a bad thing? The newer cars have such higher limits now as well so you can get much more out of the car. Why would you not want a car that handles better and drives faster? Because you are going to go into the software of a 2000 car and be able to repair it? I don't think so. Technicians don't repair electrical parts, they just replace them.

Everyone talks about the F40 and the Enzo. That's great, but why does everyone forget about the F50 that could run circles around the F40? The F40 looks nice, but it looks more like a purpose built race car than a beautiful classic Ferrari like the 288 GTO. The F50 even has more cohesive styling than the F40.

The 996 Porsche is a fine car. Your story of rims reminds me of my Canadian friend who spend $6k/wheel for carbon rims on his RX-7!?! Or how about the set of oem speedline wheels for a 288 GTO I saw used on ebay for $36,000!!??!! I always keep that in the back of my mind when I think a set of rims for my car is expensive to keeps things in perspective. Speaking of rims the classic fuchs rims and whale tale on those 1980's 911's are things of beauty.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
A relatively undisguised MK8 Golf R was spotted lapping the Nurburgring

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...burgring-tests

Still speculating there will not be a MT. Pretty serious looking seats if you peer through the windshield.
I knew I forgot to mention a car yesterday. The new Golf R looks good, but I was also bummed about the lack of a manual. Autocar was keeping the rumor alive of a higher performance version R coming out late this year or next year with 400 hp. Looks like they will have plenty of time if the new STI is their only real competition left.

Originally Posted by rotarymike

Nice choice on the Muira and a good reminder how prices on classic cars have shot through the roof in recent years. Yikes!

You said earlier that your wife thought you could not afford the Miata: "My wife has been adamant that we can't afford to support three cars - even when my income doubled and the 3rd car was a paid... I think she keeps taking my comments about buying an ND Miata as a summer car as mere talk."

And obviously you would at least talk about buying a new car. It looks like you already have talked about it and now you say you can afford it, so what is the problem? I'm legitimately confused here.

Originally Posted by Rochester
LOL - A $200 purchase is something we'd talk about and plan for. For things like my rotors (which still haven't been installed, thank you pandemic), I started preparing my wife for the purchase years ahead of time. Literally... years. And it was still a huge, uncomfortable $1000 pill to swallow when I did it.

Just saying, it's all relative.

For something like "next car"... that will get talked about ad nauseam, believe me.
In my house a new car gets talked about a lot because I like her input when I cannot decide on a specific car. Very similar to why I started this thread. So thank you guys for all of your input. But seriously, you have to talk about and plan for a $200 purchase? How do you buy anything if you have to plan for $200? My wife will have a $400 Target bill and a $500 Macy's bill for the month and have no idea what she bought. I guess like you said, it's all relative. I'm trying to justify the $170 it will cost to get this "Nissan" steering wheel cover for my car just because I think $170 for essentially one more Nissan emblem is a complete waste of money... goes to order it now.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 04-16-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
But seriously, you have to talk about and plan for a $200 purchase? How do you buy anything if you have to plan for $200?
Pretty much.

My wife will have a $400 Target bill and a $500 Macy's bill for the month and have no idea what she bought.
...and there's the reason.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Pretty much.
I'm very good with my money and don't waste it, but I just cannot see needing to discuss and plan a $200 purchase. I did just order the steering wheel cover by the way.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I knew I forgot to mention a car yesterday. The new Golf R looks good, but I was also bummed about the lack of a manual. Autocar was keeping the rumor alive of a higher performance version R coming out late this year or next year with 400 hp. Looks like they will have plenty of time if the new STI is their only real competition left.
The MK7 R was only available with the DCT the first year, and given it's the same basic 2.0T in the MK8, and the GTI is getting a MT, I'm optimistic VW could still offer up a 6MT MK8 R if there is enough demand. Take rate on MT Rs is actually pretty high.

I think 400 hp is just a rumor. It was long ago shot down by the head of VW R and there hasn't been any new rumors that don't trace back to the original R400 from 2015. VW is only selling 4-5000 Rs a year, I just don't think there is the volume potential there for a 50K+ Golf. Lets hope I'm wrong

But seriously, you have to talk about and plan for a $200 purchase?
We each take x $$s each month to save or spend how we see fit. Generally car parts and tools for me, clothes and massages and stuff like that for the wife. I might pull ahead one months allocation of mad money if a sale or a deal came up, but beyond that, we'd discuss an incremental $200 purchase.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The MK7 R was only available with the DCT the first year, and given it's the same basic 2.0T in the MK8, and the GTI is getting a MT, I'm optimistic VW could still offer up a 6MT MK8 R if there is enough demand. Take rate on MT Rs is actually pretty high.

I think 400 hp is just a rumor. It was long ago shot down by the head of VW R and there hasn't been any new rumors that don't trace back to the original R400 from 2015. VW is only selling 4-5000 Rs a year, I just don't think there is the volume potential there for a 50K+ Golf. Lets hope I'm wrong

We each take x $$s each month to save or spend how we see fit. Generally car parts and tools for me, clothes and massages and stuff like that for the wife. I might pull ahead one months allocation of mad money if a sale or a deal came up, but beyond that, we'd discuss an incremental $200 purchase.
Do you mean the MK7 Golf R was only available with a DCT the first year in other markets? I don't remember any year of that car without a manual transmission option here in the U.S. I hope you are right about the availability of a manual transmission here for the new Golf R, but I hope you are wrong about the high power version. The R400 was a rumor and so was the talk of using the Audi 5 cylinder, but talk of the high performance version Golf R is more recent and seems to continue to be talked about. Hopefully, it becomes a reality, but who knows at this point?

As far as budget goes I would imagine $200 would fit into your budget of spending money how you see fit. But if it doesn't and you, Rochester, and rotarymike run such tight budgets that WWIII would start in your house if you spent $200 without first talking about it at length and planning ahead for it, who sets the budget and pays most of the bills in your house? Maybe that is the key I am missing. This is interesting to me so thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

WW3? No, not at all.

My wife manages 100% of the finances, and I bring in maybe 4/5 of the household income.
In the kitchen, she does all the cooking, and I do all the cleaning.
She takes care of the inside of the house, and I take care of the yard (barely, LOL).
And I take care of the cars. That's all on me.

It works for us.

This is way-y-y off topic... almost the same as talking about Ferrari. Then again, if a component of any "next car" discussion is spousal consideration, then maybe it's not so very much OT.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

WW3? No, not at all.

My wife manages 100% of the finances, and I bring in maybe 4/5 of the household income.
In the kitchen, she does all the cooking, and I do all the cleaning.
She takes care of the inside of the house, and I take care of the yard (barely, LOL).
And I take care of the cars. That's all on me.

It works for us.

This is way-y-y off topic... almost the same as talking about Ferrari. Then again, if a component of any "next car" discussion is spousal consideration, then maybe it's not so very much OT.
Good to hear that it would not be WWIII- it was starting to sound that way. But I think maybe you have uncovered one of the reasons for your tight budget and needing to discuss relatively small purchases- your wife handles 100% of the finances. Perhaps slowly taking over larger and larger percentages of that would help ease tensions for car parts and entire cars in the future for you (trying to get back on topic). Like you mentioned, you do need to find a happy medium as to what works for you. That was the whole point of this topic- to make it easier to get a new car. I am still trying to figure out rotarymike though. First he says his wife does not think they can afford a 3rd car, then he says they can. First he says they would need to at least discuss a new car and then he says they have discussed it. I am curious to see what he and Lego say about who manages the finances so they can get those cars they want.

I have tried to center the Ferrari chat on new tech in new cars not being a bad thing since joyryde has this tunnel vision view of anything newer than 2000 being awful so his "new" car will be something much, much older.

But to try even harder to get back on topic, here is a pic of that new Golf R:

Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Do you mean the MK7 Golf R was only available with a DCT the first year in other markets? I don't remember any year of that car without a manual transmission option here in the U.S. I hope you are right about the availability of a manual transmission here for the new Golf R, but I hope you are wrong about the high power version. The R400 was a rumor and so was the talk of using the Audi 5 cylinder, but talk of the high performance version Golf R is more recent and seems to continue to be talked about. Hopefully, it becomes a reality, but who knows at this point?
Yeah, the first year of the MK7 R it was available only with the DCT.

As far as budget goes I would imagine $200 would fit into your budget of spending money how you see fit. But if it doesn't and you, Rochester, and rotarymike run such tight budgets that WWIII would start in your house if you spent $200 without first talking about it at length and planning ahead for it, who sets the budget and pays most of the bills in your house? Maybe that is the key I am missing. This is interesting to me so thanks for everyone's input.
My wife and I each take 350/month for whatever. I wouldn't really hesitate to spend double that if there was something I was saving or absolutely had to have because of some once a year deal that I had a limited window to take advantage of.

If I were taking something out of the general funds, like say, tires, I'd talk to the wife. My wife does the bills, and thank god, what an unfulfilling waster of time. I'm much happier going for yard of the month and doing car maintenance
Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Here is my rub with your lack of technology argument. If you claim that no one is able to reach the limits of those systems, then how is a computer telling you how to drive? It's not limiting your capability at all. Depending on the setting you choose, it is there to save your tail when you drive well beyond your limits. How is that a bad thing? The newer cars have such higher limits now as well so you can get much more out of the car. Why would you not want a car that handles better and drives faster? Because you are going to go into the software of a 2000 car and be able to repair it? I don't think so. Technicians don't repair electrical parts, they just replace them.

Everyone talks about the F40 and the Enzo. That's great, but why does everyone forget about the F50 that could run circles around the F40? The F40 looks nice, but it looks more like a purpose built race car than a beautiful classic Ferrari like the 288 GTO. The F50 even has more cohesive styling than the F40.

The 996 Porsche is a fine car. Your story of rims reminds me of my Canadian friend who spend $6k/wheel for carbon rims on his RX-7!?! Or how about the set of oem speedline wheels for a 288 GTO I saw used on ebay for $36,000!!??!! I always keep that in the back of my mind when I think a set of rims for my car is expensive to keeps things in perspective. Speaking of rims the classic fuchs rims and whale tale on those 1980's 911's are things of beauty
Traction control, driver assist, rear cameras etc. Those limit my capabilities. But for driver’s that do not belong on the road, it has become a necessity and yet they still manage to damage their automobile with them. It’s like comparing the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution generations when the X came out. So many nannies, stability control, traction control, ASC. But an experienced driver with no nannies in the IV managed to out-handle a Joe in his X. Sort of like how our Gs driving experience is ruined by VDC. Nannies ruin the driving experience.

It’s because the F50 is the middle child. Sort of how everyone disregards the Nissan Skyline R33 GTR when compared to the predecessor and successor. Either way, the F40/F50/Enzo all scream Ferrari when you imagine one in your head. The LaFerrari, not so much in my opinion. It’s a bit bland, and I’ve seen two before. Doesn’t have its face.

Holy $36,000 for rims!? Seeing this financial talk on this thread lately I could imagine what would happen to one of the guys on here if they bought rims for that price. Would be WWIII, WWIV, and WWV at the same time.

I have tried to center the Ferrari chat on new tech in new cars not being a bad thing since joyryde has this tunnel vision view of anything newer than 2000 being awful so his "new" car will be something much, much older.
I’d say anything newer than 2010-2011 I would not buy. I’ve been looking at E39s recently again, and that will most likely replace my G since the G replaced the E39 years ago. It was a love hate relationship, but I believe the LS would fix that hate relationship.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My wife and I each take 350/month for whatever. I wouldn't really hesitate to spend double that if there was something I was saving or absolutely had to have because of some once a year deal that I had a limited window to take advantage of.

If I were taking something out of the general funds, like say, tires, I'd talk to the wife. My wife does the bills
That makes sense, but that is interesting that your wife also handles the money and you have a very strict budget for car parts. I guess one huge advantage of managing the money in your house is that you have no restrictions on car parts or new cars. I wonder if rotarymike is the same way with his budget.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

That makes sense, but that is interesting that your wife also handles the money and you have a very strict budget for car parts. I guess one huge advantage of managing the money in your house is that you have no restrictions on car parts or new cars. I wonder if rotarymike is the same way with his budget.
Never really thought of $350/month as a strict budget, it's what we agreed to spend on ourselves

Would you go out and buy a new car without talking about it with your wife?
Old 04-16-2020, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Would you go out and buy a new car without talking about it with your wife?
As I mentioned earlier, of course not, but probably not for the reasons you want to hear. I would like her opinion and input on which car to get, not how much I can spend. I do think it is very odd that people need to plan for and discuss a purchase of $200 with their wife. It seems very foreign to me to have my wife tell me how much of my money I can spend. Again, to each their own and do what works for you. I am just sharing what works for me.

Now to try to get back on topic, Carbuzz just announced another rumor about the Mazda "RX-9." They think it will be an "AWD Super-Hybrid." Lego, if you think high performance Golf R rumors are tiring, you probably should not read this link. I'm not even going to comment on this car, because these rumors have been going on forever, but give it a quick look if you are bored: https://carbuzz.com/news/new-mazda-r...d-super-hybrid

Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm very good with my money and don't waste it, but I just cannot see needing to discuss and plan a $200 purchase. I did just order the steering wheel cover by the way.
I honestly would be interested to see a new thread open up about budgets/house plans/spouse (significant other) chore split.

As for wasting money, that is all relative to each person. I might buy/invest in a lot of something for my hobby which another person sees as a complete waste of money because its not a priority to living.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?