G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Ever since I was about 5 and saw this car turn into a submarine in the James Bond movie, "The Spy Who Loved Me," I have wanted a Lotus Esprit. I have always looked online at these from a distance, but one time I got pretty serious and talked to a dealer who gave me the phone number of their national rep. Since Lotus is a small company the Lotus rep called me a number of times helping me look for the Esprit I wanted and got me in touch with their #1 tech out in California. To say I was blown away by the service would be a massive understatement. The tech. in California actually recommended the 4 cyl. Turbo cars over the V8 due to reliability and the lower cost of parts- ie. $3,500 clutch on the V8?!?

Anyway, these cars really jumped up in price in the last year- most doubled! However, some of them seem to be returning to normal levels and I keep reading that the used car market will continue to drop value (mainly due to cars waiting to be sold at auction, so I am not sure it would effect an Esprit all that much). I don't expect you guys to be too familiar with these cars, but maybe some of you can share experiences you have had with older cars since these will all be 25-35 years old or even just your thoughts. Thanks!

The last of the Giorgetto Giugiaro designed Esprit models

Peter Stevens design starting in 1988

Old 04-14-2020, 10:42 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
If it's anything like the old MGs and Triumphs, start by ripping out the entire wiring harness and replace with the Painless Wiring kit car/offroad car harness. Huge improvement in reliability. With older cars, that isn't as much a PITA as it sounds either - we did my FIL's MG-B in a few weekends and then he was able to drive at night again.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:44 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Also, my wife just teased me with this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/
and
https://www.driven.co.nz/news/report...nd-rwd-layout/

I mean, right now it's vaporware like the RX-9 and Half-Life3, but a man can dream.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Ever since I was about 5 and saw this car turn into a submarine in the James Bond movie, "The Spy Who Loved Me," I have wanted a Lotus Esprit.
Same. Love the Esprit. Feels timeless, even with all those angular lines.

I was drooling over a perfectly cared-for Esprit a couple years ago at an auto show in the Finger Lakes. So beautiful..

Originally Posted by rotarymike

I saw that yesterday, and it piqued my interest too. I've always been fond of Mazda and certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a straight six with RWD as they shoot for an upscale sedan. The interior on the mid-model Mazda 6 is gorgeous, so I can only imagine and be interested in where they're going.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:50 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I saw that yesterday, and it piqued my interest too. I've always been fond of Mazda and certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a straight six with RWD as they shoot for an upscale sedan. The interior on the mid-model Mazda 6 is gorgeous, so I can only imagine and be interested in where they're going.
I am also very interested in a new Mazda 6.
It could be like a modern E39: a sweet inline 6, rear wheel drive, great handling and good looks.
I really hope they bring it out!
Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If it's anything like the old MGs and Triumphs, start by ripping out the entire wiring harness and replace with the Painless Wiring kit car/offroad car harness. Huge improvement in reliability. With older cars, that isn't as much a PITA as it sounds either - we did my FIL's MG-B in a few weekends and then he was able to drive at night again.
I know what you mean about older British cars with all the jokes about Lucas electrics. However, most of the later Esprits had AC Delco electronics due to GM owning the company. I usually don't hear too many issues about electronics in Esprits.

and
https://www.driven.co.nz/news/report...nd-rwd-layout/

I mean, right now it's vaporware like the RX-9 and Half-Life3, but a man can dream.
I saw that too. Sounds interesting and Mazda does like stick shifts and prides itself on its handling so maybe we are looking at a less expensive and more reliable version of an older M3? To stretch the imagination even further- Lotus is talking about bringing back "handling by Lotus" where they assist other companies with their dynamics. Mazda seems like they would be 1st in line for this.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Same. Love the Esprit. Feels timeless, even with all those angular lines.

I was drooling over a perfectly cared-for Esprit a couple years ago at an auto show in the Finger Lakes. So beautiful..
The styling on most Esprits does seem timeless and the fact that they are made from aluminum and fiberglass means they usually hold up pretty well. Just finding them is tough and finding them with good service records is even more difficult, but they do exist from time to time. The fact that this is probably the only supercar from that era that is still affordable for mere mortals makes it rather appealing as well.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:08 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've said before that Lotus holds a special place in my heart... late Elise/Exige is my jam.
The following 2 users liked this post by rotarymike:
4DRZ (04-14-2020), ngolbuff (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:46 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
As a child I remember my neighbor's boyfriend used to come by with his yellow late model Esprit, the car was definitely a head turner.

Speaking of Lotus, I recently drove the Evora GT430 and I was blown away with the overall dynamics and experience. The exterior of the car still have the 'kit car' look, however everything else including the interior is just right. The steering, shifter feel, throttle response, and sounds the car made were all on point. Looking back in the rear view mirror and seeing the throttle body move just complete the analog feel of the car. I knew it was a good car just didn't think I would like it so much.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I've said before that Lotus holds a special place in my heart... late Elise/Exige is my jam.
Can we include the Europa? :-)
Old 04-14-2020, 07:30 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Exige would most likely be my summer car...........if I could afford a summer car
Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
Exige would most likely be my summer car...........if I could afford a summer car
"Summer Car" Certainly didn't start out that way with my G, but that's how it feels now.

Which is awkward, because a sport sedan usually doesn't pull that duty. I mean, roadster, sport coupe, muscle car... sure. But somehow I think most sport sedans are daily drivers.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

My wife has been adamant that we can't afford to support three cars - even when my income doubled and the 3rd car was a paid-for Mazda3 that cost about $130/year to insure. :roll: I *know* she was happy when I got rid of my RX7 turbo convertible, since it had sat in place for years (about as long as our child is old... go figure).

I think she keeps taking my comments about buying an ND Miata as a summer car as mere talk.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
My wife has been adamant that we can't afford to support three cars - even when my income doubled and the 3rd car was a paid-for Mazda3 that cost about $130/year to insure. :roll: I *know* she was happy when I got rid of my RX7 turbo convertible, since it had sat in place for years (about as long as our child is old... go figure).

I think she keeps taking my comments about buying an ND Miata as a summer car as mere talk.
We had a 3rd car that ended up just sitting in the garage after we started a family. I sold it to fund a fence for the backyard and a cat-back for my G37 lol. I largely have my wife on board with a 3rd car once I payoff the R. As long as the monthly payment doesn't change much, it's kind of built into the budget.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I've a friend who purchased a numbers matching, barn-find '69 Shelby GT500 in the late 80's, right after college. All it really needed was a mild restoration, (that it never got.) He drove it one summer, then parked it for 10 years, and his wife hated that thing. Eventually he traded it straight up for a 1970 Jaguar E-Type Vert that needed a serious restoration. And again, he drove that Jag for one summer before parking it for another 10 years. His wife hated that car too.

Eventually sold the Jag to someone who was willing to invest the time and money.

Best intentions aside, not everyone is well-suited to own a hobby car. It's a lot easier turning your DD into a hobby.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Life is short, your income doubled, buy the car if you want it.

On the flip side, I have tried two cars for myself before and just found I would rather have the convenience and garage space of just one car that does everything well. However, one car that has a stick shift, is a good daily driver, can take my daughter to school, drive through the winter, and be wicked fast on track is a tall order. They do exist, but not many.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?