G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 02:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yes..and, unfortunately, will probably be well over the $50k mark. Great that they are finally...considering (Subby fan base does not seem convinced on Reddit) improving the STI though.
The article says they are targeting a price under $50k which means they must plan to upgrade a lot of things on the car since that is a jump of about $13k. This also means it should price itself out of the market for dumb kids to buy all the wrong parts and mess it up for quite a while (like a large population of the WRX's on the road right now). Both of these things are good signs to me. Let's hope they keep the manual transmission option.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Funny enough, the STI in that image has very similar lines to the new Polestar Precept concept.

Unfortunately for Subaru, it is much uglier from just about every other angle. I have seen a number of concepts and renderings so who knows what it will end up looking like. I hope they keep the 4 dr. coupe styling in the back and round out all the sharp edges a bit. That subtle clean muscular look (think M3) would be good for this car and it would age well. Fingers crossed it does not turn out like a Corolla like the last gen WRX vs. its prototype that looked awesome.

This is the Viviz STI concept that has been out for a while. From the side the styling is muscular, but it is also very angular and the hexagonal wheel wells sharply contrast the smooth flowing lines of the windows and creases in the doors. I think this car needs more cohesive styling and a smaller and more integrated spoiler.

This looks a little more production ready- especially the headlights, fog lights, wheels, brakes, mirrors, and door handles. It still has that ugly Civic Type R-like spoiler on the back and the huge fender flares, but they are slightly less offensive here. All in all this is not too bad. A few tweaks to the fender flares and this car looks really aggressive and clean. Hopefully, Subaru does not make it much more plain that this- aside from the rear spoiler.

This is a strange rendering. It is basically the last gen WRX concept with a lot of parts from various generations of STIs like the GC8 ver 5 spoiler, old gold Brembo brakes and rims that look like something Prodrive would make. Fenders, doors, and mirrors look very similar to the last 2 generations. I doubt that the new STI will look very much at all like this.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:39 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
I love the concepts but cars almost never come out looking as good as the concepts.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I love the concepts but cars almost never come out looking as good as the concepts.
That is for sure, especially for Subaru and their last generation WRX concept. It looked great, but the actual car looked way too much like a Toyota Corolla. Hopefully, they don't screw this up again. I am hopeful though since it sounds like they are serious about adding real power to the car and if they are truly targeting <$50k, then they must have a number of other big improvements planned for such a big jump in price.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That is for sure, especially for Subaru and their last generation WRX concept. It looked great, but the actual car looked way too much like a Toyota Corolla. Hopefully, they don't screw this up again. I am hopeful though since it sounds like they are serious about adding real power to the car and if they are truly targeting <$50k, then they must have a number of other big improvements planned for such a big jump in price.
While 50K would be a budget stretch for me, I think it's justifiable when you look at how well the WRX and STI maintain their value.

FWIW, and I know this is an old article, but it confirms the next gen WRX will get a manual. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...l-transmission Considering Subaru is mostly CVTs at this point, I think it will be easier for them to continue with a manual that come up with a dual clutch transmission, or heaven forbid, stick a CVT in it.

I'm more optimistic about this than the MK8 Golf R at this point, based on what has been leaked out.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
While 50K would be a budget stretch for me, I think it's justifiable when you look at how well the WRX and STI maintain their value.

FWIW, and I know this is an old article, but it confirms the next gen WRX will get a manual. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...l-transmission Considering Subaru is mostly CVTs at this point, I think it will be easier for them to continue with a manual that come up with a dual clutch transmission, or heaven forbid, stick a CVT in it.

I'm more optimistic about this than the MK8 Golf R at this point, based on what has been leaked out.
Well that is really good news about the manual. I am more optimistic about the STI too and I think you are right about justifying the price when you consider how they hold their value. I had not considered that. I was just thinking they would need to make the car a lot better than it is not to justify the price. I am game for that.

I think we are safe from a CVT. I have yet to see one in a performance car with that type of power.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Well that is really good news about the manual. I am more optimistic about the STI too and I think you are right about justifying the price when you consider how they hold their value. I had not considered that. I was just thinking they would need to make the car a lot better than it is not to justify the price. I am game for that.

I think we are safe from a CVT. I have yet to see one in a performance car with that type of power.
Yeah, I just don't see Subaru throwing resources behind a DCT when i think every automatic car they have--including the WRX--is a CVT. It would seemingly be easier and cheaper to design around the existing manuals.

There are 1-2 year old STIs selling at close to sticker. It has to be one of the best cars for value retention. At least that is how I'd justify it lol.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, I just don't see Subaru throwing resources behind a DCT when i think every automatic car they have--including the WRX--is a CVT. It would seemingly be easier and cheaper to design around the existing manuals.

There are 1-2 year old STIs selling at close to sticker. It has to be one of the best cars for value retention. At least that is how I'd justify it lol.
That is sound reasoning for keeping a manual if ever there was one. I just read an article in Car & Driver saying the same thing about the manual so hopefully you guys are right.

They definitely hold their value well, but so did my 370Z, Evo, and E46 M3. I don't think I will be quite so lucky with the G37 even though I have upgraded most of the car.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:54 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My same thoughts about the Porsche Macan. Tried real hard to tell myself I should like it, but after test-driving the car, I just didn't.
The 2020 Camaro SS V8 I got to drive felt slower and heavier than the M56. I'd also say the sixth gens do not possess a holy engine like the LS. The LT feels very, tinny. Sort of the way a VR feel compared to a VQ. VRs feel very tinny, and quiet. VQs feel solid and raw. They should have kept the LS like they did in the 5th gen, but the conversion was mainly due to environmental reasons (ie. cylinder deactivation). Electric power steering ruined the car, that is why I can't get a fizzy feeling with any of the new cars being released. The Camaro has got me thinking though, a generation one is a hell of a car. Even a convertible spec would be awesome if you live by the beach. Maybe swap in an LS and make some stupid power, would make many of the youngins cry with their overpriced cars by the stop light.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
The 2020 Camaro SS V8 I got to drive felt slower and heavier than the M56. I'd also say the sixth gens do not possess a holy engine like the LS. The LT feels very, tinny. Sort of the way a VR feel compared to a VQ. VRs feel very tinny, and quiet. VQs feel solid and raw. They should have kept the LS like they did in the 5th gen, but the conversion was mainly due to environmental reasons (ie. cylinder deactivation). Electric power steering ruined the car, that is why I can't get a fizzy feeling with any of the new cars being released. The Camaro has got me thinking though, a generation one is a hell of a car. Even a convertible spec would be awesome if you live by the beach. Maybe swap in an LS and make some stupid power, would make many of the youngins cry with their overpriced cars by the stop light.
I'm surprised by everything you said because it does not align with reviews or anything people say when comparing the 5th & 6th gen Camaros. GMs electronic power steering is the best in the business puts BMW to shame in a lot of comparisons. The 6th generation Camaro is better that the 5th generation in every single way. Nobody wants a 5th gen......

The LT is a LS engine, it is the 5th generation of the small block. The 4th generation small block did have cylinder deactivation on the 5th gen Camaro but only on the A6 transmissions. The main difference is the LT now has direct injection and variable valve timing.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by RobC7
I'm surprised by everything you said it does not align with reviews or anything people say when comparing the 5th & 6th gen Camaros.
Because car reviewers are all schmucks nowadays. They only say positive things to ensure their chances of getting more test vehicles from others, plus pc. That’s why a lot of car review shows are dead or dying.

GMs electronic power steering is the best in the business puts BMW to shame in a lot of comparisons. The 6th generation Camaro is better that the 5th generation in every single way. Nobody wants a 5th gen......
The electric steering still feels disconnected like all other brands. And didn’t the C7 and 6th gen Camaros have recalls where the steering could fail whenever? Both generations still have terrible cockpit views, but the 6th gen is more childish and seems aimed at college frat boys. 5th gen still embodies the American muscle personality and looks a hell of a lot prettier. Don’t the Charger Hellcats still use hydraulic power steering? If so, that sort of car should be converted to manual and you would have an awesome daily driver.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
Because car reviewers are all schmucks nowadays. They only say positive things to ensure their chances of getting more test vehicles from others, plus pc. That’s why a lot of car review shows are dead or dying.

The electric steering still feels disconnected like all other brands. And didn’t the C7 and 6th gen Camaros have recalls where the steering could fail whenever? Both generations still have terrible cockpit views, but the 6th gen is more childish and seems aimed at college frat boys. 5th gen still embodies the American muscle personality and looks a hell of a lot prettier. Don’t the Charger Hellcats still use hydraulic power steering? If so, that sort of car should be converted to manual and you would have an awesome daily driver.
Watch any credible car reviewer (Johnny Lieberman, Jason Camisa, Randy Pobst) and they will say the Camaro is hands down the best car for it's money. Randy Pobst even recently bought one.

The Charger will never get a manual because the transmission tunnel would need to be re-done causing poor old Fiat to spend money on re-doing the crash safety tests. You can do it yourself or just get a challenger. I'm pretty sure it has hydraulic power steering because it's a prehistoric car riding on an old W210 benz.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Oh wow... the wheels and brakes on that Camaro. Beautiful.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Watch any credible car reviewer (Johnny Lieberman, Jason Camisa, Randy Pobst) and they will say the Camaro is hands down the best car for it's money. Randy Pobst even recently bought one.
No hate, but those are not credible reviewers in my book. One was moaning about Matt Farah talking crap on the new Civic Type R, never heard of Jason but looks like the typical run of the mill automotive youtuber/podcaster, and Randy is the least credible because he’s part motortrend.

The Charger will never get a manual because the transmission tunnel would need to be re-done causing poor old Fiat to spend money on re-doing the crash safety tests. You can do it yourself or just get a challenger. I'm pretty sure it has hydraulic power steering because it's a prehistoric car riding on an old W210 benz.
Well, bollocks. And I just looked at their weight and those are some heavy machines. Manual on a Charger would be awesome fun, I think it would be possible to swap in a Challenger’s manual transmission into it. I really enjoyed driving a Dodge with the 5.7 hemi, their motors are just so distinct, sort of creamy sounding. I still believe the Corvette is the best bang for your buck sports car out there on the market, at least in the US.

Last edited by Joyryde; 03-02-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:03 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Just drove another Adrenaline Collection Hertz Rental: 2020 Ford Mustang 5.0 Automatic with (standard 400A group package). What I have surmised whilst driving through Tilamook State Forest and Mt. St. Helen's area are several things:

1. Coyote motor is incredible. I love how it sings (especially in sport+ and track mode) at any rpm but practically begs to be revved out to 7500 rpm. I know the Mopar 5.7 is a good motor but when redline is somewhere in the realm of ~6k rpm on the Challenger I can't help but feel I am getting cheated on the range of the motor.
2. I have determined that I don't need 460+ horsepower. I will be a felon. It was too easy to get to 100-120 mph in the car simply to pass a car going "slow" at 50mph. I felt like a maniac on the road, yet confusingly I felt like I wasn't even tapping into the potential of the motor.
3. The stock suspension sucks compared to the Challenger and Camaro. That's right, the Challenger had a more planted feeling than a mustang. I was shocked honestly given the weight disparity. The mustang was soft, but really just mushy. It broke loose quite a bit in turns not due to exit acceleration manners but because it was flat out too much body roll. I know for a fact that my stock G37 Sport would have taken that car in the s-curves any time of the day. I am also confident that sway bar upgrades, like our cars, would make a TREMENDOUS difference on the stock suspension of the mustang. I should also note that the car I rented obviously did not have any of the performance packs so I am sure the models with the magnetic suspension are far superior to what I drove.
4. The 10 speed auto transmission. Honestly I can't believe I'm going to write this but it was really good. I'd still prefer to row my own gears but it was a damn impressive 10 speed. When I was first driving on 5 south in Oregon, I was just about to hit 70 mph and I saw 9 on the dash. I laughed and thought it was ridiculous that it had a 9 speed transmission. Then it shifted to double digit gearing. I practically threw my hands up in the air mid driving at the sheer audacity of Ford placing a 10 speed auto into a V8 mustang. But then I started driving the car hard through the mountains, on the straights, just about everywhere and I started to appreciate the tight gearing in the upper echelons of speed. Past 100 the car kept pulling so hard because the transmission would only drop 500-700 rpm between super quick shifts which allowed it to stay near peak power. I had to stop myself every time after hitting triple digit speeds only to be inspired by the transmission and equally depressed about my own 7 speed in my car.

Overall I had a great time in the car and unlike the Camaro, the Mustang had good (not great) visibility from all directions. If they could have had the magnetic suspension I would have had the best of times in this car.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 01:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Bang for the buck I think the Camaro SS 1LE is nearly impossible to beat- especially on the used car market. I was at the Milwaukee Auto Show on Sunday and West Bend Tuning had an SS 1LE with a supercharger with 625-650 hp. This begs the question, "Is a used ZL1 a better bargain."

If that was not enough they also had a 900 hp Corvette ZR-1 and a 1,400 hp Chevelle!?!

Other interesting cars at the auto show include the S209. Not terribly impressive in person and the fender flares look like they came out of a J.C. Whitney catalog- YUCK! I thought about this car for a split second, but I am glad I waited. I think I would be much happier with a next gen STI with more power for at least $15,000 less.

This old Z car was pretty cool. It was a V8 swap and claimed to be a 200 mph car.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?