G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You really think that looks like a Corrado? I think the intention was for it to look like an updated version of the 1st Civic.
Spot on. Cute little car.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

Mk1 civic
I definitely think it looks more like the corrado. The fender flares, hood line, the rear side window, ect. a lot of it looks more corrado to me than mk1 or 2 civic (aside of the tail lights). I know Honda might have "meant or said" it was based on the early models but to me in execution it came out much more vw looking. Tbh i dont mind it lol
Old 02-14-2020, 01:19 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Also they are Rwd which i think would be fun for an electric
Old 02-14-2020, 02:04 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
When we first got it, I didn't mind the sound. But, ever since I got the M56 the VQ just reminds me of a trumpet or trombone, and I've never heard one that sounds good through researches. Ironic of me to say that on a g37 forum. I guess sound is subjective for everyone. This is how good the VKs sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOqR3Qsyoc I wish the aftermarket support for the FX50s was better, since Nissan's V8s sound a whole lot better than the new ones being released in my opinion.
I'm with you. I've never been a fan of the sound from the VQ engine. Especially when you compare it to the sounds you get from a Coyote or LS V8. So much so that I am even doing an LS3 engine swap in my Porsche.... My wife says it sounds like a vacuum cleaner right now, so she is all for it!

Finally that bad a$s engine in the most beautiful 3 series ever. I wouldn't even be angry when I'd have to work on it eventually. Someone put one in an E36, but I always found the E36 disgusting to look at.
I agree that the E46 is definitely easier on the eyes. One of my track buddies has a friend who has a black E46 M3 that has a big V8 in it and an even bigger rear spoiler- looks like a park bench, but provides tons of actual downforce.
Funny, I'm not a fan of the E46 at all. I much prefer the E36 M3 styling over the E46. I think BMW went to soft and feminine with the E46. Interesting how opinions vary.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:30 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
E46 is my favourite generation for looks. Totally timeless design.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:06 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I agree that the E46 is definitely easier on the eyes. One of my track buddies has a friend who has a black E46 M3 that has a big V8 in it and an even bigger rear spoiler- looks like a park bench, but provides tons of actual downforce.
Hey 4DRZ, I think I found the best replacement car for you. You used to own the E46 M3, and you can relive the glory days even with your children in the backseat! I went on the internet, and found this!

Even with the M3 E46 original engine, that would be a really good daily driver. I'm so in love with this!

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I'm with you. I've never been a fan of the sound from the VQ engine. Especially when you compare it to the sounds you get from a Coyote or LS V8. So much so that I am even doing an LS3 engine swap in my Porsche.... My wife says it sounds like a vacuum cleaner right now, so she is all for it!

Funny, I'm not a fan of the E46 at all. I much prefer the E36 M3 styling over the E46. I think BMW went to soft and feminine with the E46. Interesting how opinions vary.
Wow! That is a cool swap. I noticed you're in socal, just want to let you know there's a weekend meet called South OC cars and coffee, and some guy brings in his LS swapped Carrera 911 (early 70s model from the looks) which is a dream combination. I gave a friend a ride in my G37 a few months ago (he drives a Tundra 5.7) and when I gave some throttle he thought it was the sound of a lawn mower from outside I wasn't butt-hurt, because I knew it was true.

Do you like the E30s though? Those things are still a riot to drive.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder if you visit the Midwest often ). I really liked the E36 M3 when it came out. When I was in high school one of my friend's rich parents got a 4 door brand new and I was in love with the car. Then one day in Rockford, IL I saw an E46 M3 on the showroom from across the road and it just spoke to me. Something about that car. (Cars with rounded styling seem to age a lot better.) Once I saw all the performance specs of the E46 and how it blew the doors off the E36 in virtually every category, I forgot about the E36. I still think it is a cool M3, but it is horribly underpowered and the interior really has not aged well.

Hey 4DRZ, I think I found the best replacement car for you. You used to own the E46 M3, and you can relive the glory days even with your children in the backseat! I went on the internet, and found this!

Even with the M3 E46 original engine, that would be a really good daily driver. I'm so in love with this!
Does a 4dr. E46 M3 really exist??
Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts

Wow! That is a cool swap. I noticed you're in socal, just want to let you know there's a weekend meet called South OC cars and coffee, and some guy brings in his LS swapped Carrera 911 (early 70s model from the looks) which is a dream combination. I gave a friend a ride in my G37 a few months ago (he drives a Tundra 5.7) and when I gave some throttle he thought it was the sound of a lawn mower from outside I wasn't butt-hurt, because I knew it was true.

Do you like the E30s though? Those things are still a riot to drive.
I've only been to the Cars and Coffee in San Clemente once... But, when I used to live down in Ladera Ranch I would regularly attend the Irvine and Aliso Viejo Cars and Coffee events when they were still around. I've been out in the IE for a while now, so the Cars and Coffee that is held at Saleen in Corona is very close for me

Hahaha. I can definitely see how someone would describe the VQ engine as sounding like a lawn mower... Although, I think my old Craftsman riding mower probably sounded better than my G.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the old E30 body style, especially the E30 M3. I went to high school in the 80's, so I have a nostalgic love for all those older DTM styled cars of the 80's and early '90's, like the E30 M3, 190E Evo, and even the AMG Hammer. They were just so garish and boy racer for the time that just made them hard not to like.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:40 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Does a 4dr. E46 M3 really exist??
I wish, but no. It's a fun project to convert an E46 sedan to one and pretty doable.

I've only been to the Cars and Coffee in San Clemente once... But, when I used to live down in Ladera Ranch I would regularly attend the Irvine and Aliso Viejo Cars and Coffee events when they were still around. I've been out in the IE for a while now, so the Cars and Coffee that is held at Saleen in Corona is very close for me

Hahaha. I can definitely see how someone would describe the VQ engine as sounding like a lawn mower... Although, I think my old Craftsman riding mower probably sounded better than my G.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the old E30 body style, especially the E30 M3. I went to high school in the 80's, so I have a nostalgic love for all those older DTM styled cars of the 80's and early '90's, like the E30 M3, 190E Evo, and even the AMG Hammer. They were just so garish and boy racer for the time that just made them hard not to like.

The E30 is beautiful. I like a lot of the older looks of BMWs in general because they were able to make a car beautiful just with regular light bulbs as opposed to automakers using plastic molds to make weird designs that oxidize fast. I've read on the Bimmer forums that a lot of the owners daily driver their old BMWs like the E30, E28, E36, E34, etc. because they are just as reliable as Japanese cars and easier to fix than their modern successors. Those E30 M3s fetch a pretty penny nowadays. If I had the money available I still would not buy one for that price. The 80s and 90s designs were so nice, and I feel the 90s and early 2000s were the sweet spot for automobiles. Another good replacement vehicle might just be a Volvo 240. They're safe, reliable, and have massive tuning potential to create a super sleeper. Just noticed a trend of many beach bums and hippies buying them recently.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Next generation new car releases I am looking forward to in the next year or two that I would consider for replacing the G (in order of when I think they will be released):

VW Golf R
BMW M3
Cadillac CT4-Black Wing
Subaru STI
Genesis G70
Audi RS3
Nissan Z
Hyundai N mid-engine halo car

Am I missing anything interesting? Sadly, I bet we are lucky if half of these are available with a manual transmission.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:21 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
I know you guys hate your Civic's but it's still the only car I've truly wanted to replace my G35X daily driver besides a truck. LSD, Turbo, Stick shift, tunable, can be had for 22k, modern features, good MPG, and Honda reliability. Still don't think you can beat the price, preferences aside.

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-rllmhsi.jpg
Old 02-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I think on paper and in the drivers seat the Civic has always been a fine vehicle, as good or better than most in its class. I used to own a '88 Sedan 5MT thirty years ago, and loved tossing that little car around, all the while getting well over 30 mpg.

However, just can't get beyond the clownish trim of the current sport model. It's tacky and childish. Today's Civic jumps the shark.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I know you guys hate your Civic's but it's still the only car I've truly wanted to replace my G35X daily driver besides a truck. LSD, Turbo, Stick shift, tunable, can be had for 22k, modern features, good MPG, and Honda reliability. Still don't think you can beat the price, preferences aside.

Is that a Civic Si? I think the Si is a pretty good value if I could get over the styling.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think on paper and in the drivers seat the Civic has always been a fine vehicle, as good or better than most in its class. I used to own a '88 Sedan 5MT thirty years ago, and loved tossing that little car around, all the while getting well over 30 mpg.

However, just can't get beyond the clownish trim of the current sport model. It's tacky and childish. Today's Civic jumps the shark.
The previous generation Civic had its face, but the new one just looks awkward and hideous in my opinion. I wish the US got the previous generation type R, since it was a nice looking car in Europe. Doesn't have as much fake grilles, vents, spikes, etc as the new one. This is the previous generation we never got.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm just going to leave this picture here and let it speak for itself.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-22-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?