G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
So I did the truck thing for a few months after I wrecked my G. Decided that wasn't what I wanted, so now I'm in something I think is probably a pretty good replacement. It's bigger and a little boatier, but drives pretty nicely and has a power on tap. It's a blast. I'm sure I'll end up in something more G-sized in the future, but I'm loving it right now.
2015 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe

The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RxRyanM
So I did the truck thing for a few months after I wrecked my G. Decided that wasn't what I wanted, so now I'm in something I think is probably a pretty good replacement. It's bigger and a little boatier, but drives pretty nicely and has a power on tap. It's a blast. I'm sure I'll end up in something more G-sized in the future, but I'm loving it right now.
2015 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe

Thats a gorgeous car and a fine choice. Congratulations!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That Beamer looks like a perfect Autobahn cruiser Ryan.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I had a friend once with a 650i Vert... there was something almost obscenely gratuitous about that car. Huge & heavy, luxurious & beautiful, and really powerful... yet its performance was restrained because of its size and weight.

That's quite an impressive car, Ryan. An impractical highway monster, for sure, with all kinds of rewarding moments for the owner. Congrats.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I had a friend once with a 650i Vert... there was something almost obscenely gratuitous about that car. Huge & heavy, luxurious & beautiful, and really powerful... yet its performance was restrained because of its size and weight.

My FIL traded in a 650i on a M6 'vert (both with a 6MT). Car was absolutely sick. 8250 rpm redline. Prices aren't bad, but they are notoriously unreliable.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Love2Drive
Great thread and a fun read!
I am ok with an automatic for a daily as I plan to add a 3rd vehicle (manual, rwd, 2 door) down the road. I also have my 2 wheeled toys.
I like to buy my cars around 50k miles and drive till ~125k miles and sell.
Something reliable, typically Japanese, is what fits my bill. Unfortunately as much as I love German cars, I simply don't trust them at higher mileage.
Possible replacement for my G37xS (currently at 80k miles):

4. Subaru WRX STI. Pros: Sporty drive (used to own a 2007 WRX and loved it). Cons: Same unreliable engine, due for an upgrade, feels a bit teenager overall. Need to wait for the new one.
Just for the record the 2019 and above STI has the upgraded forged pistons from the STI RA model. Ringland failure isn't supposed to happen basically on the 2019 and above motors. I personally think Subaru did it because they were/are getting hit with lots of class action lawsuits over engine failures at clearly premature rates.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2890983
Old 02-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That Beamer looks like a perfect Autobahn cruiser Ryan.
C'mon man, you owned the best 3 series generation and forgot it's "Bimmer" not "Beeaamer?" Just joking.

I'm either thinking of swapping a V8 into the G, E39 and LS swap, or an E38 and LS swap. Just need space in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 06:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
C'mon man, you owned the best 3 series generation and forgot it's "Bimmer" not "Beeaamer?" Just joking.

I'm either thinking of swapping a V8 into the G, E39 and LS swap, or an E38 and LS swap. Just need space in the garage.
I even ordered some parts from BIMMERworld- you would think I would know better. I guess I was going by how people pronounce it.

You are hell-bent on an LS swap, aren't you? The G would be interesting as I imagine there are not a lot of those out there. There are some decent cars out there that already have the LS in them, but I guess that takes away part of the fun and all of the originality.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You are hell-bent on an LS swap, aren't you? The G would be interesting as I imagine there are not a lot of those out there. There are some decent cars out there that already have the LS in them, but I guess that takes away part of the fun and all of the originality.
Hell yeah brother! I’ve seen some videos of LS swapped E39s and E38s and it seems like a good engine to swap into them and make them more alive and speedy. There have been some people who swapped a 2JZ into their E39 but I don’t know if that would be a suitable swap. What do you think? I’ve seen a video of someone swapping in the S85 V10 into their E39 but it seems like a huge task especially since I do not want i-drive or anymore electronics.

For the G the engine I’d swap would either be the VK56VD or VK50VE. Would still want to achieve sleeper status with either cars.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hell yeah brother! I’ve seen some videos of LS swapped E39s and E38s and it seems like a good engine to swap into them and make them more alive and speedy. There have been some people who swapped a 2JZ into their E39 but I don’t know if that would be a suitable swap. What do you think? I’ve seen a video of someone swapping in the S85 V10 into their E39 but it seems like a huge task especially since I do not want i-drive or anymore electronics.

For the G the engine I’d swap would either be the VK56VD or VK50VE. Would still want to achieve sleeper status with either cars.
A 2JZ swap into an E39 would be unique, but it honestly sounds like a huge pain- especially the wiring.

For the G I think those V8's would be awesome! Good move on waiting for the new Titan motor as it has so much more power than the old V8.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:12 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

You'd miss the vq sound though! God i love the sound of our engines.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
You'd miss the vq sound though! God i love the sound of our engines.
When we first got it, I didn't mind the sound. But, ever since I got the M56 the VQ just reminds me of a trumpet or trombone, and I've never heard one that sounds good through researches. Ironic of me to say that on a g37 forum. I guess sound is subjective for everyone. This is how good the VKs sound
I wish the aftermarket support for the FX50s was better, since Nissan's V8s sound a whole lot better than the new ones being released in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:45 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Okay, ill admit that engine sounds damn sexy lol

i personally love the sound of the vq37, I think the problem with some sounding like trumpets is people doing muffler deletes and test pipes. A proper exhaust system with resonators preserves the gorgeous sound in my oppinion. Of course we all have different tastes but i can't stand the sound of a vq that's just had its mufflers and cats hacked off.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
MK8 Golf R spotted without camo:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...thout-disguise

'A manual isn't expected to be offered' and as anticipated, a rather weak power bump of 33 horsepower. And still rocking sliding piston calipers. The new STI is shaping up to be the last hope for this class.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

When we first got it, I didn't mind the sound. But, ever since I got the M56 the VQ just reminds me of a trumpet or trombone, and I've never heard one that sounds good through researches. Ironic of me to say that on a g37 forum. I guess sound is subjective for everyone. This is how good the VKs sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOqR3Qsyoc I wish the aftermarket support for the FX50s was better, since Nissan's V8s sound a whole lot better than the new ones being released in my opinion.
That V8 does not sound bad, but it is definitely rpm limited. Our cars with a good exhaust and headers sound amazing, partly because they do scream well at higher rpms.

I was doing a track day about 2 years ago when a Shelby GT350 caught up to me. I kept giving him the wave by to pass me, but he stayed behind me for almost two laps. I thought he was having problems with his car because he should have been a lot faster than me on the straights. When we got into the paddock he came up to me and told me he followed me because my car sounded amazing and wanted to know what I did to it. He thought I twin turbo'd it.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
MK8 Golf R spotted without camo:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...thout-disguise

'A manual isn't expected to be offered' and as anticipated, a rather weak power bump of 33 horsepower. And still rocking sliding piston calipers. The new STI is shaping up to be the last hope for this class.
I saw the same thing yesterday in a different article and thought of you. Fortunately, the article I read did not mention the lack of a manual transmission though. That sucks! But your article did mention the possibility of a 400 hp high performance version. Interesting because everything I have seen says a high performance version would only be about 350 hp. I also noticed those stupid sliding calipers- even up front. Here is to hoping the high performance version is a true performance car and has a stick shift.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?