G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Thanks for the advice about coupes and kids guys! I appreciate it. I never even considered school drop off lines and back packs. I guess that means the M2 and GT-R are out of the mix. Maybe I would consider a new Z car once it debuts if it is a great car and keep the G as the daily driver. More than likely though this means I will stick with another 4 door.

Good news on the 4 door front- Cadillac is apparently putting a 6 speed manual in the hopped up version of the CT5-V and CT4-V (blackwing?). I think I already like the styling better of the CT4-V than the ATS-V since they rounded off all of the hard edges. The styling just looks a bit more cohesive, but still aggressive and this is not even the top performance version. It sounds like it will have the same twin turbo V-6 so I am interested to see what changes they make. The interior will probably be a lot nicer too. I bet it will debut at the Detroit auto show this summer.

https://carbuzz.com/news/rejoice-the...-a-stick-shift
I'm hoping the CT5-V will be available with a 6 speed, I think that would be the car to get. On a side note, great planning by GM to realize so late in the process that the Blackwing motor will not fit that chassis.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
I bet it looks awesome in black!
I would imagine. That seems to be THE color for sharp looking Cadillacs.

Originally Posted by iCrap
After having another look around the G70 I still like it. I wish the seats were a little more bolstered, but the interior is pretty nice. I really don't like the fake plastic aluminum trim all over the interior though. It looks and feels cheap. The only other cars I would have liked to look at are the S3/RS3 and S4 but Audi didn't show.
I don't know if you caught it in my review, but in the Sport G70 the driver's seat has adjustable side bolsters and as a neat trick they firm up automatically when you put the car in Sport mode. I agree with you on the fake aluminum. Hyundai/Genesis has not figured that out for years, but the stereo speaker grills are actual aluminum- strange. That quilted leather sure looks awesome though. The RS3 is really nice inside, especially with the carbon trim on the dash and doors.

Originally Posted by RobC7
I'm hoping the CT5-V will be available with a 6 speed, I think that would be the car to get. On a side note, great planning by GM to realize so late in the process that the Blackwing motor will not fit that chassis.
The track verson of the CT5-V and CT4-V are both supposed to be available with the 6spd manual- see my link above. So I guess they are not going to refer to these versions as "Blackwings" anymore if the motor won't fit either car. Great planning Cadillac.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:31 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
That is one nice looking Cadillac.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
That is one nice looking Cadillac.
Down low and in front... Absolutely.

Side profile, not so much. Not bad, per se, just not inspirational.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

You know, a lot of people will likely disagree but for a sedan I like the lines of the last Chrysler 200. I know the car was craptacular. But the lines were nicely curvy and the 360* view blended well.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:40 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by Rochester

I would agree - the side view is boring. Needs more swoop.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't entirely hate on Cadillac. Call me crazy, but I've always loved the XLR. Never rode in one, and have only ever seen them hands-on at car shows. Every once in a while, I'll see one on the road.

Love the look with the hard-top up. Mid-bumper quad tips, low and angular, with wide shoulders. Mostly chrome-less. It's a pretty car.

That said... LS swap.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-27-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:47 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
XLR-V is beautiful. What was even better but never released, the sixteen. V16 engine making 1000 hp at it's lowest setting. This was back in 2003 as well. Sounds amazing too. Would have killed every new car on the market. Before anyone gets a stroke and complains about mpg, you wouldn't buy this for economical purposes.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

If I could have a Jay Leno garage, or even a dozen cars, maybe, probably the XLR.

But this thread is for *next* car, based on owning the G Sedan, and cars like this Caddy are looking backwards, not forward. So... my bad.

It's like jonesing after an old Acura NSX. Want one, sure, but it's not next car.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Joyryde
Banned

If I could have a Jay Leno garage, or even a dozen cars, maybe, probably the XLR.

But this thread is for *next* car, based on owning the G Sedan, and cars like this Caddy are looking backwards, not forward. So... my bad.

It's like jonesing after an old Acura NSX. Want one, sure, but it's not next car.
Cadillac's parts are much cheaper priced than our Gs. A lot of the G and M parts are hilariously expensive. Even CTS-V front bumpers are a whole lot cheaper than our Gs or Ms. I'd go something for older since most of the parts for older cars are cheaper. I think you'd look good in that XLR Rochester. Or are you wary because people will make fun that you're in your midlife crisis?
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
First the jaguar f type, then the Guilia, now the xlr. Rochester, i have learned you have very similar taste in cars as me lol. The only one i love that you haven't mentioned yet is the earlier model Nsx.

You have good taste man lol
Old 01-28-2020, 12:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

I just realized the orange Cadillac picture I posted earlier was of the CT5-V. Whoops. The CT4-V is in blue. The front and side look ok, but the back end is questionable.

The rear bumper just doesn't look right here. It looks like the car has a cleft lip.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
You know, a lot of people will likely disagree but for a sedan I like the lines of the last Chrysler 200. I know the car was craptacular. But the lines were nicely curvy and the 360* view blended well.
You are right about the rounded styling. I hate to say it, but the taillights actually look a lot like the Genesis G70.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:09 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Aw i really don't like the look of the 4. Tbh I'm not big on GM, but the 5 is not bad looking. I give caddie credit for offering 6 speeds though.

They have been going after bmw lately and offering 6 spd manuals is a very smart move imo. It will win over some new customers from other companies due to the lack of manuals offered nowadays.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Cadillac just ruined their face in my opinion. That front end looks like a mix of the Blazer and Camaro. At least they got manual transmissions and good engines, but the looks are generic now. They have to go back to the previous look which was their face.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:49 PM
Love2Drive
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread and a fun read!
I am ok with an automatic for a daily as I plan to add a 3rd vehicle (manual, rwd, 2 door) down the road. I also have my 2 wheeled toys.
I like to buy my cars around 50k miles and drive till ~125k miles and sell.
Something reliable, typically Japanese, is what fits my bill. Unfortunately as much as I love German cars, I simply don't trust them at higher mileage.
Possible replacement for my G37xS (currently at 80k miles):
1. 2014/2015 Q50 3.7. Pros: N/A engine, I like the looks. Cons: Interior isn't all that great and the same 7AT transmission.
2. Lexus IS350. Pros: Looks, interior and reliability. Cons: Engine may feel a bit boring after getting used to the G's engine.
3. Lexus ISF; Pros: Pretty much everything. Cons: RWD only which isn't ideal for Canadian winters.
4. Subaru WRX STI. Pros: Sporty drive (used to own a 2007 WRX and loved it). Cons: Same unreliable engine, due for an upgrade, feels a bit teenager overall. Need to wait for the new one.
5. Acura TSX / TL: Pros: Reliability, decent looks. Cons: Boring to drive.

Fortunately I have a couple of years to go in my G and hopefully with a few new cars coming on the market, I will find a replacement.
Really would like something from Japan, 4 doors, AWD with an N/A engine and a nod to the sporty side. Not many options really!

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?