G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KImChee
Haven’t thought much about a replacement quite yet, my G still has around 50k miles, I’ve got an older vette (1999), thinking about getting an S2000 again it was a raw, fun little roadster. I’m not as crazy about the newer Infiniti’s, would like something turbo charged from the factory, awd would be nice.
Nice man, ive always loved s2ks. I used to have an integra and there was awhile i contemplated upgrading to the s2k back then. Just such a good looking car, revs so high, handles so good. S2k was always a special little honda in my books.

If had room for many cars id definitely have a '90s Nsx and an s2k sitting next to my G lol
Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
All those Q50 comments... I agree. Want to love it, but don't.

Really like the Alfa, but don't want to, LOL
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:33 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

LOL
Old 01-19-2020, 04:23 AM
Davbay1
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me personally, I have decided to go with an Audi A4. I really like exterior and interior styling of the new models. Power is also comparable with is great. However, the biggest thing for me was the tech. I wanted a car with a lot of tech to fiddle with, and the a4 fits that bill perfectly.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
All those Q50 comments... I agree. Want to love it, but don't.

Really like the Alfa, but don't want to, LOL
I'm in the same boat on both cars.

Originally Posted by Davbay1
Me personally, I have decided to go with an Audi A4. I really like exterior and interior styling of the new models. Power is also comparable with is great. However, the biggest thing for me was the tech. I wanted a car with a lot of tech to fiddle with, and the a4 fits that bill perfectly.
What tech are you referring to on the A4?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.moto...w-verdict/amp/ an interesting read about the Guilia after a year of ownership.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDevilsG:
2GoRNot2G (01-20-2020), Rochester (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The small holes in the exhaust tips are a nice touch
I really like how Infiniti designed the tips for the Red Sport exhaust. Very unique, very attractive.

I suspect that opinion starts and ends looking down at the tips, and wouldn't hold up under closer inspection. But as a first impressions... very nice.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Tbh i dont mind it. Paint them gun metal and they will look sick. Wont even notice the holes.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I really like how Infiniti designed the tips for the Red Sport exhaust. Very unique, very attractive.

I suspect that opinion starts and ends looking down at the tips, and wouldn't hold up under closer inspection. But as a first impressions... very nice.

I didn't "take a knee" to take a closer look because I feared they would be fake tips or something along those lines (like we talked about earlier). Same with the Genesis G70. Sometimes ignorance it bliss. Other times it is too cold and there is just too much snow on the ground to take a closer look.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:44 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Thats a nice shade of red for the paint
Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Davbay1
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I'm in the same boat on both cars.

What tech are you referring to on the A4?
The biggest thing is their virtual cockpit system. Ever since I first saw it, I decided that I want to own a car with it.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Davbay1
The biggest thing is their virtual cockpit system. Ever since I first saw it, I decided that I want to own a car with it.
It's kind of a neat set up, but I worry how much it would cost to replace once it stops working. Honestly, I would rather have a heads up display that shows me my next turn. It is a cool idea though and I think it is featured in the next Golf/GTI/Golf R as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

As surprised as I was with how good the Genesis G70 Sport was I thought I should also take a look at the G80 Sport with the same 3.3L turbo motor and the G70 with the 2.0T motor to see if the handling was even better than the V6 like most of the reviews claim.

The exterior styling on the G80 sport has always been one of the strong suits and I think this might be the best angle. However, Rochester will be disappointed to know that the exhaust tips on all of these cars do not hook up directly with the muffler. But unlike most cars, they easily could because the rear pipes are not too much smaller. If they really do this to help keep the tips clean, then maybe it is not such a bad idea. None of these cars are very loud.

The trunk and back seat are obviously larger, but oddly there is only a pass through like our cars- no fold down rear seats. All this extra room does make the car feel way too big to me when backing up. However, the view out the front makes the car feel much smaller and easier to drive.

I think these wheels look better than the dark wheels on the G70 Sport unless you get that car in just the right color. The little bronze ring around the center cap follows the styling inside and out and is actually an unexpected nice touch. The brakes are large here in front, but nowhere near as powerful as the Brembos on the G70 Sport- probably due to the 1 piston sliding calipers in the rear.

I think the front end styling is a bit more cohesive here than on the G70. Neat trick- the mirrors automatically unfold as you approach the car with your key fob. If you look really closely at the inside of the front grille you will notice the bronze trim that continues throughout the car.

These two-tone seats with bronze stitching actually look really nice in person, but they are still not as nice as the Bentley-esque quilted leather in the G70 Sport. The side bolsters on the driver's side do adjust in the G80, but not when you engage Sport mode like on the G70. There are also only 3 drive modes here (Sport, Normal, and Eco) instead of the 5 modes in the G70.

It is difficult to see in this picture, but the real carbon fiber on the dash and doors in this car is easily the nicest part of the interior. I just wish the rest of the interior were up to the same quality. It is still nice, but the center console does not tilt toward the driver and the cockpit does not really wrap around the driver like in the G70. Again, nice interior, but really the only part that feels special is the carbon fiber.

Also, the ***** for the stereo and the climate are identical and too close together. Very easy to mix these up while driving. The rotary dials on the steering wheel here are cheap plastic compared to the knurled metal-look ***** in the G70. A small detail, but one usually left to Bentley or Aston Martin.

Here you can start to see the quality and large sections of carbon fiber. Another very good Lexicon stereo.

The gauges here are a bit plain like the G70, but you can tell the G70 is a bit newer design. The heads up display on this car is just as good as the G70, but oddly the lane keep assist does not work as well as in the G70.

This alcantara headliner feels like it is straight out of an Audi. The sunshade for the larger dual panel moonroof actually splits in the middle with half going forward and half going back. A neat party trick.

So overall, the G80 is nice, but it is just too big for me. The handling, braking, and acceleration are decent, but feel muted compared to the G70. Same story with the tech. and fit and finish. The G70 feels like the G80 version 2.0. It is still a nice car and probably a good replacement for someone coming out of an Infiniti M, but the G70 is better in nearly every way.

The G70 seems to have just the right sized proportions for me. I think all the reviews complain about the lack of rear seat legroom because the G80 came out first and it is larger. Truth be told the rear seat in this car provides ever so slightly more legroom than the G37 sedan and I don't remember anyone complaining about the amount of legroom in our back seats.

All the chrome trim is definitely brighter than what is on the Sport model. I prefer the "black chrome" look of the Sport, but the design of the wheels on these models looks better to me. The engine under this hood felt anemic to me, especially after trying the G70 with the 3.3T again right after it. the handling did not feel any sharper due to the slightly lower weight. I think the bigger problem is that this car is still heavy and this motor lacks the grunt to be able to pull itself out of corners as convincingly as the 3.3T motor.

These wheels definitely look better to me than the Sport model, but you do give up the nicer seats- decisions, decisions. The brakes here felt adequate until I got into the Sport model again with the Brembos. Definitely a difference.

So all this Genesis driving has taught me that if I decided to give up track days and a manual transmission for a really fun daily driver with AWD, the G70 with the 3.3T engine would be the way to go. If I wanted a more hardcore version that I could track, then I would get the Audi RS3.

Fortunately, the G70 is due for a refresh in the near future and a completely new RS3 will eventually hit the market. It sounds like the Golf R will not be as hardcore as originally planned, so I think this means that the next gen STI is my last chance to get a high performance AWD car with a manual transmission. The ball is in your court Subaru.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-22-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:08 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm probably going to look into a BMW M2 Competition when the prices drop or maybe lease one. The redesigned 370Z is going to come out soon as well, but not the Z35 (I guess there's a redesigned Z34 and the actual new Z35). I'll probably keep the G as a side car as well unless I get a decent price for it since the price is so cheap now that I'm not sure if it's worth it to sell. Next car will be a manual hopefully.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyG37
I'm probably going to look into a BMW M2 Competition when the prices drop or maybe lease one. The redesigned 370Z is going to come out soon as well, but not the Z35 (I guess there's a redesigned Z34 and the actual new Z35). I'll probably keep the G as a side car as well unless I get a decent price for it since the price is so cheap now that I'm not sure if it's worth it to sell. Next car will be a manual hopefully.
I am eager to try the M2 Competition on some bumpy roads this spring so I can make sure it rides ok as a daily driver. The 20" rims with rubber band tires on the M3 Competition did not ride very well. The reviews are a bit split on the M2 Competition, but I think it will be a great car. I am curious to see the reviews of the M2 CS as well.

The all new Z car is supposed to debut later this year. However, it was supposed to debut a couple of years ago so it will be no surprise if it is delayed again. Especially since Nissan is supposed to be releasing new models for 70% of their lineup in the next 18 months. The Z is probably not their first priority since it is a low sales volume car.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?