G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
There is no reason for me to drive the car because it is not something I want to own. Sorry but an automatic, v6tt is nothing outside of the norm today and it doesn't check all the boxes I am looking for in a car. There is nothing revolutionary about the car. The fact that it's a brand I don't consider when evaluating cars is just the cherry on top.
Right? A $40,000 Hyundai. Let that sink in for a moment. And good luck selling it when the time comes I wish there was a car company that made a basic (not a lot of electronics), fast, fun, and attractive car. Haven’t seen anything like that after the G37 and the G8.

I see everyone is mentioning the Alfa Giulia. The American market never got the whole Alfa Romeo experience like we did in Europe, but most of you guys would be disappointed by it. If you thought German cars were unreliable, wait until you own an Alfa. My neighbor had a Giulia before, which broke down permanently, and now has a second one. It seems the American market is under the impression that even though people like Jeremy Clarkson or the mediocre motortrend say it’s a brilliant car then they are right. Not the case. They used to be good back in the 70s to mid 90s. After that, nothing good. They only look attractive, but they are in the garage most of the time while sitting pretty. The driving experience of an Alfa isn’t mind boggling like reviewers say it is, sorry! Also if you guys think the G’s interior is cheap, wait until you sit in the Giulia Fiat and Chrysler plastics and old parts, even owners complain about it. Glad they at least let Alfa start with the Giorgio platform, but sadly they won’t last as long as the old Alfas due to electronic problems (just like any new car).
Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Both you guys are approaching this thread from the wrong direction.

Please use this other cars thread instead:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/other-c...ml#post4264318
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (01-20-2020), 4DRZ (01-18-2020), Joyryde (01-17-2020), TheDevilsG (01-17-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
4dz: Giulia has requested a date with you, She says she can change your mind and ease your worries about what others have been misleading you about her.
Except she is in the shop right now. Not sure when she'll be ready. She'll call you when she can start up again........
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 07:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I've said this before here... my local Infiniti dealer also sells and services Alfa, and thier Service Manager once told me the exact same thing. Cars are always in the shop. It's all true. Better to lease the Alfas, IMO. It's a love/hare thing, and I suppose it's just part of the experience for the faithful.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
4dz: Giulia has requested a date with you, She says she can change your mind and ease your worries about what others have been misleading you about her.

I think you should give her a chance lol
No wonder you refer to yourself as the devil. Stop tempting me.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Both you guys are approaching this thread from the wrong direction.

Please use this other cars thread instead:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/other-c...ml#post4264318

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Except she is in the shop right now. Not sure when she'll be ready. She'll call you when she can start up again........
Old 01-18-2020, 01:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yesterday I noticed that we had a used Infiniti Q50S Red Sport across the street with only 19,000 miles. I thought I should test it out since it would logically be the replacement for our cars and a good comparison to the Genesis G70. It is also a tremendous bargain on the used car market if you have not noticed. I have been skipping over this car mainly due to the automatic, but also the sub par performance stats and reviews. The AWD is tempting though with all the snow we get and remote start would be cool. The snow tires on my RWD G37 got me through 6-7 inches of snow this morning, but it would have been a lot more fun with AWD.

I really like the front styling of this car. A nice modern update on our cars that looks clean and classy, but still aggressive. The subtly kicked in frame on the back of the rear side windows is a nice touch. Unfortunately, these are about the only two advantages over the Genesis G70.

Standard wheels are 19" and they look decent. The real news here is the big Akebono brakes combined with AWD. This combo was not available on the G37. These brakes still feel great on this car despite the added weight with AWD.

The rear styling is more classy than sporty. The small holes in the exhaust tips are a nice touch, but the tail lights lose the historic circular shape from so many Skylines.

The trunk is about the same size as the G37, but it still does not have fold down seats. However, I forgot to check what the pull tabs release in the top corners. There is also no spare tire or room for one. This is surprising because I would not imagine the AWD would take up any more space than our RWD, especially since there is no longer an LSD in the rear (or front).

The interior is a decent refresh on our cars, but again it gives up a bit of the sporty feeling for more refinement. No bose labels on the doors and no Infiniti branding on the seats. The perforations on the seats also look a bit strange to ours- like a straight line of holes drilled. The driver's seat loses the adjustable thigh bolsters. It still has the adjustable side bolsters on the back of the seat, but now they do a better job of pushing you out of the seat instead of wrapping around you.

The steering wheel feels and looks the same as the G37, but now it is heated. It automatically comes on with the heated seats when you remote start the car. This car does not have the electric steering and it worked just fine. The paddle shifters also look and feel nice- I believe the same ones they use on the 370Z.

The gauges have been mildly updated and now go up to 180 mph for the new engine. The digital screen is color now and displays a few new things like radio stations and abbreviated navigation directions, just like most Nissans.

The top screen works just like in our cars, but the bottom screen is a completely different design and it does not work well at all- similar to the Cadillac Cue system everyone hates. I actually thought the functionality of this screen was worse. I tried to adjust the radio settings and it kept selecting a choice a few dots over from where I was pressing on the screen. Maddening.

Also difficult to use with the screen are the heated seats. There is now one button that you use to toggle between 4 settings. The "performance" screen I have up is completely useless. It shows G-force up to .5g or about 1/2 of what the car is capable of as well as fuel flow and fuel consumption. Why?

There are a number of drive modes and the change in suspension and throttle response is actually noticeable. The change in steering and transmission is pretty minor. The transmission is pretty slow to react in most situations and pretty much a disappointment compared to any manual or the A/T in the Genesis.

The engine is definitely the highlight of the car. It is certainly faster than our cars stock and it has lots of potential for tuning. However, it is handicapped by the transmission. I think this would be a great engine in a different car, maybe the next Z car.

The engine is great, but the rest of the car is pretty dated. There is only so much you can do with an old chassis and this one has to be nearing the end of its lifespan. The handling and transmission were really the weakest parts of the car, especially compared to the Genesis G70. The car understeered heavily at the limit and the back end would only come around with abrupt throttle inputs.

It does have subtle improvements from our cars, most notably the engine and it is a relative bargain on the used car market. It could be a good tuning project for me as a number of parts from my car should bolt right up or a fun daily driver, but to me it is just not different enough to warrant the change. I think there are much better options on the market.

Overall, I think the intention was good for this car, but the execution did not come out right and a lot of details were missed. In fact, a number of things got worse compared to the G37 like the seats, handling, touchscreen, lack of a spare tire, tail lights, lack of LSD, etc. It feels like a watered down version of the G37S in many aspects.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-18-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:03 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Lol @ the devil comment

Nice review on that infiniti (pics and all). I just hate that front end and also what you said about the tail lights holds true. It just doesn't have the good looks that the g37 has. It blends in too well with so many other similar sedans on the road where the g37s still stand out and are just beautiful.

I keep trying to convince myself to like the new coupe when driving near one ( though the back end is a little bit nicer than the sedan but too similar to the Mercs coupe imo ) but again that damn front end kills me to look at, I just cant do it. Also the rear side window line bothers me (on the coupe) as well.

The elephant in the room: The automatic transmission. Why couldnt they at least have included a DCT. The higher cost of it would have been justified and i could then overlook the fact that the clutch pedal is gone.

AWD: You know you will miss kicking that back end out though, thats one of the most fun things i love about my car. xD

All in all. I'm sure its a great car but i just don't love it
I guess the problem is they really hit the ball out of the park with the g37 as far as looks (coupe and sedan alike) and now are having a hard time living up to that with this new lineup.

I think my fascination with Guilia is that she HAS the looks. When i see one on the road, i find myself admiring the car and love the lines and appearance of it. I dont find it boring to look at it. It stands out, its refreshing to see, To the point i can foolishly overlook any of the headaches to come and not care about them lol
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 03:08 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Okay, you got me there lol Well played 😂
Old 01-18-2020, 03:57 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I really wanted a Q50 RS up until my friend got one (S not RS) and I realized how bad it is. My thoughts after driving it a few times / riding in it a bunch. (pretty similar to what 4drz thought as well)

• The seats are a massive downgrade from the G37, like 4DRZ mentioned they have that weird pattern / texture (they are also kind of hard) and the bolsters have been downgraded from the G.
  • Center stack and infotainment is horrible, the top screen is essentially useless and the bottom screen is so laggy. Something as simple as changing the temperature has a 1-2 second lag from when you press the button to when the numbers show up on the screen. Also if you use the screen on / off feature it doesn't always resume and you have to literally restart the car. Oh, and one screen is low resolution and matte, while the other is high res and glossy for no apparent reason. They don't match and it looks very out of place.
  • The heated seat controls are garbage, one LED which can either mean, AUTO (no explanation for what this does), low, high. Otherwise, you have to go to the climate screen on the touchscreen which lags for another 5 seconds.
  • The drive mode selections don't really do anything at all besides ECO, which basically just limits your throttle to half. ALSO, every time you restart the car it goes out of sport and back to normal, no way to set it.
  • Also, they got rid of the adaptive shfiting thing the G had while in sport mode, where it would downshift more aggressively depending how bard you brake. I really liked that feature.
  • The quality doesn't seem all that great on the interior, with pieces feeling very plasticy and that "aluminum" trim just feels and looks like fake plastic stuff. At least the G had real wood or aluminum options. Also, I really hate the gloss black on the left side of the stack. On my friends car it's already all scratched up and when it's sunny it reflects right into your eyes.

Overall, it just feels like a reskinned G and I feel like it would be a total waste of money to replace a G with a Q50.

It's worth noting that some of these are fixed with the 2017+ refresh
The refresh included new seats, new steering wheel with wheel mounted paddles, slightly revised other interior stuff (new shift ****, etc). The new bumpers and tail lights also look better. the 400R brings the skyline circle tails back, but I doubt we will see that in the US. The 2020 refresh was also announced and includes a new key, new infotainment, and I think even android auto.

Last edited by iCrap; 01-18-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Lol @ the devil comment

Nice review on that infiniti (pics and all). I just hate that front end and also what you said about the tail lights holds true. It just doesn't have the good looks that the g37 has. It blends in too well with so many other similar sedans on the road where the g37s still stand out and are just beautiful.

I keep trying to convince myself to like the new coupe when driving near one ( though the back end is a little bit nicer than the sedan but too similar to the Mercs coupe imo ) but again that damn front end kills me to look at, I just cant do it. Also the rear side window line bothers me (on the coupe) as well.

The elephant in the room: The automatic transmission. Why couldnt they at least have included a DCT. The higher cost of it would have been justified and i could then overlook the fact that the clutch pedal is gone.

AWD: You know you will miss kicking that back end out though, thats one of the most fun things i love about my car. xD

All in all. I'm sure its a great car but i just don't love it
I guess the problem is they really hit the ball out of the park with the g37 as far as looks (coupe and sedan alike) and now are having a hard time living up to that with this new lineup.

I think my fascination with Guilia is that she HAS the looks. When i see one on the road, i find myself admiring the car and love the lines and appearance of it. I dont find it boring to look at it. It stands out, its refreshing to see, To the point i can foolishly overlook any of the headaches to come and not care about them lol
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder on the Q50, but I agree with you on the Guilia. The Quadrifoglio is gorgeous on the outside. Kind of cheap inside. The RWD is fun to kick out in the rain or on dry roads, but it sucks in the winter compared to AWD.

Originally Posted by iCrap
I really wanted a Q50 RS up until my friend got one (S not RS) and I realized how bad it is. My thoughts after driving it a few times / riding in it a bunch.

• The seats are a massive downgrade from the G37, like 4DRZ mentioned they have that weird pattern / texture (they are also kind of hard) and the bolsters have been downgraded from the G.
  • Center stack and infotainment is horrible, the top screen is essentially useless and the bottom screen is so laggy. Something as simple as changing the temperature has a 1-2 second lag from when you press the button to when the numbers show up on the screen. Also if you use the screen on / off feature it doesn't always resume and you have to literally restart the car. Oh, and one screen is low resolution and matte, while the other is high res and glossy for no apparent reason. They don't match and it looks very out of place.
  • The heated seat controls are garbage, one LED which can either mean, AUTO (no explanation for what this does), low, high. Otherwise, you have to go to the climate screen on the touchscreen which lags for another 5 seconds.
  • The drive mode selections don't really do anything at all besides ECO, which basically just limits your throttle to half. ALSO, every time you restart the car it goes out of sport and back to normal, no way to set it.
  • Also, they got rid of the adaptive shfiting thing the G had while in sport mode, where it would downshift more aggressively depending how bard you brake. I really liked that feature.
  • The quality doesn't seem all that great on the interior, with pieces feeling very plasticy and that "aluminum" trim just feels and looks like fake plastic stuff. At least the G had real wood or aluminum options. Also, I really hate the gloss black on the left side of the stack. On my friends car it's already all scratched up and when it's sunny it reflects right into your eyes.

Overall, it just feels like a reskinned G and I feel like it would be a total waste of money to replace a G with a Q50.

It's worth noting that some of these are fixed with the 2017+ refresh
The refresh included new seats, new steering wheel with wheel mounted paddles, slightly revised other interior stuff (new shift ****, etc). The new bumpers and tail lights also look better. the 400R brings the skyline circle tails back, but I doubt we will see that in the US. The 2020 refresh was also announced and includes a new key, new infotainment, and I think even android auto.
I think we agree to a T on all the downsides of the Q50S. It is most certainly a lightly reskinned G37.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:47 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

I say all you sedan guys drop in a new engine when the time comes, refresh aging parts with new bushings, Suspension, 4.08 fd, 1.5 Lsd , a tune and maybe a fresh paintjob. behold... the new g37! And its perfect!

Look at that, i solved this whole thread. The perfect car to replace your g37 is ......Your G37!

Old 01-18-2020, 04:57 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I say all you sedan guys drop in a new engine when the time comes, refresh aging parts with new bushings, Suspension, 4.08 fd, 1.5 Lsd , a tune and maybe a fresh paintjob. behold... the new g37! And its perfect!

Look at that, i solved this whole thread. The perfect car to replace your g37 is ......Your G37!

Please stay on topic, this thread is about worthy replacement cars. We can open a new thread for maintaining and modifying our existing cars instead of looking for a replacement.

The VR30DDTT swap is slowly gaining more traction, these motors are not too expensive & look to fit without any major modifications. Still need a few more pioneers to complete the swap so someone can develop a swap kit.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:59 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

My bad, a lame attempt to be funny lol you may delete my previous posts
Old 01-18-2020, 05:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You know I have given that some thought since I have already replaced every other part on this car including bushings, suspension, rear gears, tune, etc. But, the real issue comes down to needing to be able to cope with the extra heat generated by the extra power. Brakes would need to be upgraded too. My next car should be a quantum leap in just about every category. A tall order since I have changed this car to exactly the way I want it. But I guess this is also good so that I keep the car a bit longer...

Originally Posted by RobC7
The VR30DDTT swap is slowly gaining more traction, these motors are not too expensive & look to fit without any major modifications. Still need a few more pioneers to complete the swap so someone can develop a swap kit.
How much of a pain is the swap? Does it match up with the 6MT and how much re-wiring is required to work? (Asking for a friend )
Old 01-18-2020, 10:48 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Haven’t thought much about a replacement quite yet, my G still has around 50k miles, I’ve got an older vette (1999), thinking about getting an S2000 again it was a raw, fun little roadster. I’m not as crazy about the newer Infiniti’s, would like something turbo charged from the factory, awd would be nice.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?