G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
Great write up! Love the RS3 that 5 pot is an unreal engine people are making insane numbers with. If you think it sounds nice in dynamic hear it with a good exhaust system on and it’s a little rocket. A lot of the Germans do the floating caliper on the tears as cost savings unfortunately.
I can only imagine the power potential. APR makes some crazy gains, but this thing is a little rocket bone stock. Reminded me a lot of a GT-R with a nicer interior.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:21 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Looks like Tesla has given Model 3 AWD Dual Motor (non performance) owners the option of a nice power boost for $2k. All via a software update.

• Peak power increased from 332 kW (447 HP) to 370.9 kW (497 HP), an increase of 50 HP (+11.3%)
  • Peak torque increased from 501.75 Nm to 564 Nm, an increase of 62 Nm (+12.4%)
  • Front motor peak power increased from 139.5 kW to 175.5 kW (+25.8%) and peak torque increased from 185.5 Nm to 232.25 Nm (+25.2%)
  • Rear motor peak power decreased from 231 kW to 221 kW (-4.3%) while peak torque increased from 318.5 Nm to 333 Nm (+4.5%)
  • 0-60 mph in 3.781s
  • 0-100 km/h in 3.962s
  • 0-160 km/h in 8.478s

Not bad for no wrench time, and it doesn’t void the warranty.

Here’s a vid of two 3s. One with the upgrade and one without.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:59 AM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I can only imagine the power potential. APR makes some crazy gains, but this thing is a little rocket bone stock. Reminded me a lot of a GT-R with a nicer interior.
I know of one guy who went off the deep end on his and is pushing 1000+. I feel like it’s one of Audi’s best cars recently. I do however want to get in a new RS6. V8 wagon that can rip, sign me up.

Also Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited by cmckenzie15; 12-25-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:35 PM
anestheticG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been contemplating a replacement for my 2010 G37x. I've had the car for 7 years and it has around 150k miles. It's still in good shape and besides needing the throttle bodies cleaned and fluids and other maintenance (spark plugs, front wheel bearings went, tranny flush) it has been quite reliable. The rational side of me says to keep driving it till it dies, which could be a while. I've been contemplating what I would replace it with. FWIW I have a 2000 Porsche 911 as my "fun" car and with ****ty Connecticut weather and roads I don't drive it that often. Mostly a Sunday cruiser and occasional track day. I'm recently married and getting a dog next month (one or 2 kids potentially in the future) so I have to keep utility for daily driver in mind
Top contenders are:
used Tesla model S P90D ludicrous which are around $63k... my friend has one and it's so fast. Finding one that isn't a bit rough cosmetically here and there seems tough and they are pretty expensive. On the plus side no gas and super fast 0-60. Have to get a charger installed and run to my garage which may be a pain in the ***
Model 3 dual motor- prob the smartest buy money wise if I'm going with a Tesla. What worries me in general about Tesla is crap after sales support. Also questionable build quality and loss of miles (I know it's very slight) over time due to battery degradation. However driving an electric car feels like the future.
USED Macan S or Macan TURBO- can find a decent turbo for around 58k depending on mileage and a nice S for around 50k. Porsche maintenance can be a bear though and I drive around 17k miles a year so consumables can add up. It's a Porsche so there's probably some known reliability issues I have to look into
I really don't know which direction I would go in if I had to make a choice...
Old 12-27-2019, 01:41 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I know of one guy who went off the deep end on his and is pushing 1000+. I feel like it’s one of Audi’s best cars recently. I do however want to get in a new RS6. V8 wagon that can rip, sign me up.

I'm with you on the RS6, I've been seriously contemplating a Porsche Panamera GTS Sport Turismo, but the RS6 has more power, should be more affordable, and looks even better that the Sport Turismo IMO, Waiting for the dealers to get them, so I can see one in person and hopefully drive one.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Wow, that sounds like madness for the RS3!! I was having trouble putting 400 hp to the ground through AWD with the relatively skinny tires. It was cold, but I think that car would be hard to drive with 1,000 hp. The RS6 Avant does sound like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by anestheticG
I have been contemplating a replacement for my 2010 G37x. I've had the car for 7 years and it has around 150k miles. It's still in good shape and besides needing the throttle bodies cleaned and fluids and other maintenance (spark plugs, front wheel bearings went, tranny flush) it has been quite reliable. The rational side of me says to keep driving it till it dies, which could be a while. I've been contemplating what I would replace it with. FWIW I have a 2000 Porsche 911 as my "fun" car and with ****ty Connecticut weather and roads I don't drive it that often. Mostly a Sunday cruiser and occasional track day. I'm recently married and getting a dog next month (one or 2 kids potentially in the future) so I have to keep utility for daily driver in mind
Top contenders are:
used Tesla model S P90D ludicrous which are around $63k... my friend has one and it's so fast. Finding one that isn't a bit rough cosmetically here and there seems tough and they are pretty expensive. On the plus side no gas and super fast 0-60. Have to get a charger installed and run to my garage which may be a pain in the ***
Model 3 dual motor- prob the smartest buy money wise if I'm going with a Tesla. What worries me in general about Tesla is crap after sales support. Also questionable build quality and loss of miles (I know it's very slight) over time due to battery degradation. However driving an electric car feels like the future.
USED Macan S or Macan TURBO- can find a decent turbo for around 58k depending on mileage and a nice S for around 50k. Porsche maintenance can be a bear though and I drive around 17k miles a year so consumables can add up. It's a Porsche so there's probably some known reliability issues I have to look into
I really don't know which direction I would go in if I had to make a choice...
I'm not 100% sure about Tesla chargers, but most electric cars have relatively inexpensive chargers that can now plug right into a regular 220/240 outlet used for a stove or dryer.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Not a fan of the giant grill craze sweeping the luxury market.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Not a fan of the giant grill craze sweeping the luxury market.
I agree. Bimmers are all grille now for posers. The LED headlight craze is also stupid. Their lifetime is shorter than regular halogen or HIDs, especially since manufacturer program them be on 24/7.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
The LED headlight craze is also stupid. Their lifetime is shorter than regular halogen or HIDs, especially since manufacturer program them be on 24/7.
I don't think that's true....link??

https://www.bulbs.com/learning/ledfaq.aspx

Or are headlamps significantly different than bulbs? More complex and likely expensive to replace--probably. But I'm pretty sure LEDs have a longer lifespan than halogen bulbs.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I don't think that's true....link??
Do I have to link everything to prove a point? https://www.quora.com/Why-do-my-LED-bulbs-burn-out Of course manufacturers and bulb companies will say it lasts forever, since they want to make money off of gullible customers here like you stated with them being extremely expensive to replace or repair. Next time you’re on the road pay attention on how many led headlights/brake lights have gone out. LEDs are only nice in interiors, but even those don’t last long. Same with bulbs for households, where they last a short time. HIDs on cars are money.

Last edited by Joyryde; 12-29-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyryde
Do I have to link everything to prove a point? Of course manufacturers and bulb companies will say it lasts forever, since they want to make money off of gullible customers here like you stated with them being extremely expensive to replace or repair. Next time you’re on the road pay attention on how many led headlights/brake lights have gone out. LEDs are only nice in interiors, but even those don’t last long.
I rarely see modern LEDs out. It's always old incandescent and halogen bulbs that are out.

A cursory search of the googles seems to refute your assessment. But I know, you like to keep it old school.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I rarely see modern LEDs out. It's always old incandescent and halogen bulbs that are out.

A cursory search of the googles seems to refute your assessment. But I know, you like to keep it old school.
I only see LEDs out daily, and very few halogen bulbs out. I just edited my post. There’s a link.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Personally I think the LED lights just don't put out adequate light, even on a premium brand like BMW. I think HID is still the way to go.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That seems odd about LED lights. I know in my house the LEDs have greatly outlasted the regular bulbs and CFLs while being brighter. On cars the LED headlights provide a much brighter and wider field of light and it is a more natural light so it does not blind oncoming traffic as easily. I have yet to see a LED headlight burn out, but I see regular bulbs and HIDs burn out all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (12-30-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 03:47 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For me when time comes.. I am seriously looking at Kia Optima no joke.. Time for me to down size a bit.. don't want to pay premium gas.. don't want to spend $ on expensive service and maintenance.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?