G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 01:04 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
My wife's family is from Maine and I lived in Merrimack, NH for several years when I was younger. Those are both incredibly beautiful places, and New Hampshire does have a big advantage in that there is no sales tax and also no state personal income tax (although they do still tax income from dividends and interest). But, you aren't going to escape the bad Winters in either of those places. You might also want to consider the Portland, OR area.... It's really beautiful, the weather is decent most of the year and it's not overly crowded (yet), plus the cost of living there isn't overly inflated like most of the West Coast (again, not yet at least). That's one area that my wife and I are looking at for retirement.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I will spent some of my high school in Oregon. I'm not a fan of the continuous overcast for a big chunk of the year. The way I handled it was to constantly be outside. Hiking the Cascades (Hood, Rainier, Adams,3 Sisters, etc.), PCH coastline, Columbia River Gorge (Multnomah Falls), the dessert (Smith Rock), etc. It was great in that context. I still love to visit the PNW!

Love New England! Lived in VT, NH, and MA. Sisters family lives in ME (Windham just outside of Portland). The White and Green Mountains (hiking, snowboarding, Alpine slides in the summer), the lakes are awesome (Sunapee, Winnipesaukee, Sebago), hot air balloons over Quechee Gorge, the Atlantic coast is an easy weekend trip, cider mills in the fall, etc.

Financially, I think they're about even depending on what lifestyle you have(geographic highs and lows in each state). I appreciated the roads in both places, but New England definitely has the harder winters. Frost heaves are much more prevalent. My first year in Vermont I discovered -30°F with a windchill under -40°F. John, you're probably used to that, but it was my first time. Neat as a novelty, but year after year took some adjusting. But, man, those sweeping, level-changing roads through the autumn leaf change is other-worldy.

I could go on and on, but I'm getting off topic. Buy the Jag and an old Volvo/Saab for a winter beater.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:06 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
And besides being a sexy looking car..... You can get the Jaguar F type in 6 Spd Manual! 😁
Old 11-02-2019, 02:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Look what else is testing at the Nurburgring this week- the new RS3. Hopefully, they moved the engine further back in the chassis to help with all of the understeer. This car has the potential to do a lot better at Car & Driver's Lightning Lap than the time it put down last year.

https://carbuzz.com/news/audi-rs3-sh...fresh-new-face

Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
And besides being a sexy looking car..... You can get the Jaguar F type in 6 Spd Manual! ��
Only 2016 - 2019 model years, and only with the two V6 models. Just saying, it's very specific. No stick for the 4-cyl, and no stick in the V8. And for 2020 the stick is no more.

And between the two 6 cyl cars, only the S had LSD.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-02-2019 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (11-06-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 04:52 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Look what else is testing at the Nurburgring this week- the new RS3. Hopefully, they moved the engine further back in the chassis to help with all of the understeer. This car has the potential to do a lot better at Car & Driver's Lightning Lap than the time it put down last year.

https://carbuzz.com/news/audi-rs3-sh...fresh-new-face

I wish we got the S3 / RS3 wagon here in the US It would really probably be my next car. Of course they finally bring a wagon over, RS6 (which is great). But that price.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:50 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

I dont get why they cover it when it looks the same as all the other audis, Seems body style hasnt changed much.
Tbh Im not an audi guy but ive always loved the TT RS. Which is odd because im not a huge TT fan either but the TT RS in white, omg i love that thing. This car could convert me to being an audi guy lol

Old 11-02-2019, 05:52 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Only 2016 - 2019 model years, and only with the two V6 models. Just saying, it's very specific. No stick for the 4-cyl, and no stick in the V8. And for 2020 the stick is no more.

And between the two 6 cyl cars, only the S had LSD.
Id pass on the v8 and get the 6cyl S just to have the 6spd and lsd. That car would be so nice to have!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:24 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Man, I wasn't on board with the MK5 Supra, but lately these new body kits are catching my eye pretty hard. If only they release a 6 speed version though.....

Old 11-04-2019, 06:32 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

[QUOTE=SupraOfDoom;4259834]Man, I wasn't on board with the MK5 Supra, but lately these new body kits are catching my eye pretty hard. If only they release a 6 speed version though.....

I feel like painting the A pillars to match the body might make it look better too, At least help it to look a tad more Supra ish.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
I wish we got the S3 / RS3 wagon here in the US It would really probably be my next car. Of course they finally bring a wagon over, RS6 (which is great). But that price.
I am curious to see how the RS6 sells here. I have a bad feeling it will do low numbers and we will never see the likes of an RS wagon for another 15-20 years. I think the last one we had was the RS6 Avant almost 20 years ago.

Now having a 1 year old, I can see the appeal of a wagon, but I still don't see the absolute need for it yet. You must haul a lot of stuff. The RS3 sedan is pretty impressive in its own right for the street. I just wish it had a manual and a better weight balance to curb all that understeer.

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Man, I wasn't on board with the MK5 Supra, but lately these new body kits are catching my eye pretty hard. If only they release a 6 speed version though.....

https://youtu.be/oST2n3GbTSY?t=77
I have been saying all along that the new Supra will finally become a looker once some aftermarket company comes out with a better front bumper. The gray one in your video still looks weird from the front, but the sides definitely look more aggressive.

[QUOTE=TheDevilsG;4259835]
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom

I feel like painting the A pillars to match the body might make it look better too, At least help it to look a tad more Supra ish.
Toyota took a page right out of the 2009 GT-R styling book with the black A-pillars to try to blend in with the windows. Doesn't look too bad with tinted windows, but still looks like a helmet visor to me.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:27 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Just sucks that Toyota makes cars that are kind meh stock, and we gotta fix it. I could understand if they were more competitively priced.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have a new favorite replacement for my car- the BMW M2 CS was released today and it looks and sounds awesome! It is going to be really limited production so I imagine it will only appreciate on the used car market like the M1 and sell for roughly eleventy billion dollars, but this is not a bad thing. Aside from the adaptive suspension and carbon roof, most of the changes should be easy to make to a normal M2 Competition which should be much easier to find used in a few years for a decent price. I think this M2 CS would look amazing in a metallic black.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...s-photos-info/

Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Every day that passes, I realize that I will never buy a new car. They're just pure garbage in my book. Crap load of electronics, no manual transmission, no driver orientation, electronic steering, assists, cup holders, sunroofs. I even got to be in a new NSX. It was garbage! No Senna magic like the original one, and the interior was ripped off of my old Civic!

I'm going to keep on to the 2010 G37 for a really long time, and will never buy anything made after that year. Although, I will say I am itching to do a motor swap on it. The VQ lacks a lot of torque in my opinion, and V6 motors in general don't sound as good as a V8. Leaning between a VK56VD or an LS. VK56VDs can produce 800 hp naturally aspirated. The SUMO power GTRs have them and are still spanking Porsche in all continents. The only con is that it is difficult to mate it to a manual transmission and make it run. Only person I know who has done is located in Estonia, and he did it to his R32 GTR. An LS motor is easier to swap in and the parts that I'd want to buy would be a hell of a lot cheaper, plus manual transmission are easier to install. I already made measurements between my M56's engine and the G's engine bay and VQ engine, and it is possible to fit in. The VK is only 3 inches longer and wider and there is more than enough space between the strut towers to fit. If anything does happen to my G though, I'd probably go back to an E39 (LS swap) or an E34.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:02 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

VK56's are cool but not very cost effective especially compared to an LS. I just can't get behind different brand motor swaps though. Wonder if a stroker kit / more displacement nets TQ gains on these? Could do a electric motor + NA like that one 350Z race car lol. ITB's / Stroker is my personal dream.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:37 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have a new favorite replacement for my car- the BMW M2 CS was released today and it looks and sounds awesome! It is going to be really limited production so I imagine it will only appreciate on the used car market like the M1 and sell for roughly eleventy billion dollars, but this is not a bad thing. Aside from the adaptive suspension and carbon roof, most of the changes should be easy to make to a normal M2 Competition which should be much easier to find used in a few years for a decent price. I think this M2 CS would look amazing in a metallic black.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...s-photos-info/
Coolest thing about the new M2 CS is that it will have the same engine as the M4 competition (plus a manual tranny option) giving it a considerable bump in power over the M2 competition. Even as nice as nice as some of these BMW's have gotten, I still can't get over their terrible reliability. I keep telling myself I will never own another BMW... at least until they release the M8. LOL

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?