G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
I already got an OBDEleven and made some tweaks. I haven't tried the exhaust flaps yet. I turned down the Soundaktor by 50% and will probably turn it down even a little more. Also added a 4th blink to the lane change signal and killed the seatbelt ding because I was sick of it going off whenever I set something more than 3oz. in the seat next to me.
OBDEleven is a neat little tool. I changed to 4 blink too, and also disabled the seatbelt chime. I've got the hot setting on the seat heaters cranked up so that is like a heating pad on my back. Wonderful for those days my back is tight

Have you had any trouble with slip? I was a little concerned I'd have to spend $2500 on an upgraded clutch if I ended up with a manual and tuned.
No slip, yet. But I'm running a clutch saver map, with limited extra boost until 3K, then ramping up to +4.7 psi. I'm diligent about not going heavy throttle at low RPM, but it's inevitable that it will slip. Clutch installs aren't that bad--labor runs 600-900, plus a clutch.
The following users liked this post:
woofersus (10-01-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:47 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Now I'm thinking about a Kia Telluride. Before everyone panics I must clarify for the hundredth time that it would just replace my G35X and not my G37. Think that would make a great family hauler. Would probably just lease it but IDK. Could even tow my G37 with it.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
Recently dove my old G that I gave to my sis in 2016. I had a Stillen blower kit on it. It was cool on launch when the front end lifted up a bit on the suspension! My tuned hard ATS-V is fine, but I’ve finally found the best replacement for my old G. I put my order in for a C8. This is gonna be the coolest ride ever. Not gonna mod it at all so I can keep the warranty. The wife is obviously not happy about it.
Awesome news about the C8! I think that car is going to be a game changer. How did you spec it out and when does it arrive? Curious to hear what you think of it. Tell me more about your ATS-V. This and the M3 are at the top of my list right now if I could ever find a loaded ATS-V 6spd. sedan with PDK. I think that would be the ultimate family hauler/track car.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:28 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Recently dove my old G that I gave to my sis in 2016. I had a Stillen blower kit on it. It was cool on launch when the front end lifted up a bit on the suspension! My tuned hard ATS-V is fine, but I’ve finally found the best replacement for my old G. I put my order in for a C8. This is gonna be the coolest ride ever. Not gonna mod it at all so I can keep the warranty. The wife is obviously not happy about it.
and when the warranty is over?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Your friend is very lucky. The split window Vette is rare and valuable.
I'm a real sucker for a split window. I saw one in silver and just melted a few weeks ago. Not even a vette guy. I just really like when the styling on a car all comes together just right.
My friend definitely lucked out with his split window vette. Back in the mid-90's he actually traded a running 80's Firebird for the split window vette straight up. The vette wasn't running and the previous owner was a widow and didn't want to deal with the repairs. The car ended up only needing very minor repairs to get it running. That, plus the obscene amount of appreciation on those in recent years really made my buddy look like a genius!

Congrats! Please give us more details on your preorder... what options did you go with and when do you expect delivery? I'm REALLY interested in a C8, but my wife is hard set against me getting any vette. She's rather me spend 10's of thousands of dollars more on a used NSX Audi R8 or Jaguar F-Type SVR. Although I just showed he a video of the new C8 convertible and I think she might finally be coming around. LOL
Old 10-18-2019, 04:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I posted up a while ago about the not-so-great visibility in the Camaro and the cheap interior/dashboard. A Mustang arrived at my store recently and it definitely has better visibility and a much nicer interior. It is still not super impressive, but significantly better than the Camaro. Then I spotted an M3 and M4 in our body shop and those are a huge step up in fit/finish and visibility. This got me thinking about M3's again.

Much better visibility than the Camaro and here comes the M4.

It is easy to forget all the useful information in the display of an actual sports car compared to our G37 which does not even give you the oil temp.

The dash and center console of the Mustang are definitely a step up from the Camaro, but I think our G is still a nicer place to be- especially with the Bose stereo.

The M3 is a big step up from the Mustang and our cars inside (nicer than the ATS-V too). Real carbon fiber on the dash, a back lit display, and good visibility are tough to beat. Sitting in this seat and getting the side bolsters inflated to hug me made me think twice about the Recaro seats in the ATS-V. This was the first time I discovered that the M3 has adjustable side bolsters- now one less advantage for the ATS-V.

This M3 is the first I have ever seen equipped just the way I would get it with heads up display, adjustable suspension, around view camera, harman kardon stereo, and 19" wheels, while skipping the moonroof in favor of the significantly lighter carbon roof and skipping the leather interior for cloth so the seats stay cooler in the summer and don't get so cold in the winter while holding you in place better.

I honestly did not know that it was possible to equip an M3 this way. I also realized how drastically wider the rear fenders are on the M3 compared to an M4- nice detail! If anything, this car gives me hope that I could find one the way I want it. Then again, this color is awful!

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:12 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I am still going with a model 3, I love the linear power. I can recharge it from my roof. My other three choices would be 2016 328i, 2014 and up Volkwagen GTI and 2017 and up Infiniti Q50
Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Another great collection of pictures and observations. Good read, 4DRZ.

What you're saying about the Mustang being the car with less concessions as compared to the Camaro, but still crude when compared to your G with a 10 year old design... I get that too. The G feels better to me, although it no longer feels luxurious like those first few years did.

You know what bugs me about that BMW? I really dislike that origami front bumper. Too many notes.
4DRZ (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Another great collection of pictures and observations. Good read, 4DRZ.
Thanks! It sounds like we analyze cars very similarly.

What you're saying about the Mustang being the car with less concessions as compared to the Camaro, but still crude when compared to your G with a 10 year old design... I get that too. The G feels better to me, although it no longer feels luxurious like those first few years did.
I know the interior of our cars is obviously becoming dated compared to cars with newer tech and digital screens, but I think they really nailed the design and materials so that it is aging well. Lots of rounded edges and everything flows together well like the exteriors of lots of classic cars or even the G exterior design. It's old, but it is aging well.

I remember thinking the same thing about my E46 M3's interior. The car was 7 years old when I got it, but the interior really aged well and still looked nice. The M3 generation before it has not aged so gracefully. I don't think a lot of these new cars with disjointed styling with lots of hard edges inside and out will age very well either.

You know what bugs me about that BMW? I really dislike that origami front bumper. Too many notes.
I agree that it is an odd design. I like the bottom parts that turn up at the outer edges as it looks like an aero piece off of an F1 car, but the outer edge looks weird around it and it is hard to integrate that into the front bumper of a sedan. It looks much better with a front splitter- especially a carbon one on a darker color. (See below)

I think I really have my choices narrowed down to a used M3, ATS-V sedan, or maybe an M2 in a few years (all manual transmission). The trick is finding one in the color and with the options I want. I really like the exterior and interior styling the best of the M3 compared to the ATS-V and M2. I thought I was locked in on an ATS-V sedan, but maybe not. If the new STI, Golf R, or Nissan Z were game changers I would consider them as well, but things are not looking great for the Subaru and VW.

That front bumper looks a lot better with a splitter. It looks a bit strange on white, but I included this pic so you could see what parts change.

I think it looks amazingly aggressive on a darker color like black or the special order dark blue. I had a similar dark blue on my E46 M3 and it looked awesome- especially in the sunlight.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:45 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I honestly did not know that it was possible to equip an M3 this way... [T]his car gives me hope that I could find one the way I want it. Then again, this color is awful!
I've got a similar issue. I have a very strict checklist of items I want in my next car. It has been a few years searching the entire country for a car apportioned my way with a fair price (friends in other states have even been looking). Hence, I'm still holding onto my 07 at near 160k. I found a car and had it shipped from NC two weeks ago. Guess what? The options were not as disclosed, and I returned it. At this point, you may need to ignore color and become open to the idea of wrapping. Wraps have come a long way in quality, finish, and price. It's much easier to choose an exterior color than it is to get the perfect combo you're seeking without building it new. I'm at that point as well. Food for thought.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
I've got a similar issue. I have a very strict checklist of items I want in my next car. It has been a few years searching the entire country for a car apportioned my way with a fair price (friends in other states have even been looking). Hence, I'm still holding onto my 07 at near 160k. I found a car and had it shipped from NC two weeks ago. Guess what? The options were not as disclosed, and I returned it. At this point, you may need to ignore color and become open to the idea of wrapping. Wraps have come a long way in quality, finish, and price. It's much easier to choose an exterior color than it is to get the perfect combo you're seeking without building it new. I'm at that point as well. Food for thought.
That seems odd, although maybe you are just interested in colors that are hard to find. Black is one of the colors I like so I am not having too much issue finding the right color. For me, the bigger issue is finding the right equipment. If push came to shove I could get an M3 with leather seats and put suede inserts in the front seats or just put my Sparco seats in their place. I would rather have cloth and my G is fine so I am ok waiting.

I just did not realize how difficult it is to find the ATS-V equipped the way I want. I have been looking every week for 2 years and found only one equipped the way I want and it was already sold when I called. I think an M3 would be easier to find for me. The ugly blue one in the picture was not for sale, it was just in getting repairs. I was just surprised to see it equipped the way it was and pleasantly surprised to find that the side bolsters were adjustable. I have driven a few M3's now and I always thought that that button was just for the lumbar support. That was a nice surprise.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Audi A4

I’m not quite sure why, but the A4 has never really popped up in this thread as a potential landing spot for G owners. Introduced in 2017 the B9 platform offered a 6MT for exactly one model year—2018. Exterior and interior dimensions are roughly the same, as is curb weight, and despite a 70+ more HP the Audi equals the G37 published acceleration times, as well as handling and braking being a virtual toss up.

I noticed a CPO pop up at my local Audi dealer, and it was equipped pretty much exactly how I would have spec’d it: Premium Plus trim, with the optional virtual cockpit (12.1” digital gauge cluster) and all the Audi Assistance goodies (blind spot monitoring, F/R parking sensors, automated braking etc), plus the Sport Package with the optional 19” wheels, and the,750 watt 19 speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. A bit out of the norm for me, the car was pearl white with brown leather.

The interior was gorgeous. And I love the packaging of a RWD based chassis, with the F-R engine configuration and the transmission tunnel creating that low down cockpit like separation between driver and passenger. At night, ambient lighting is everywhere: the speaker grills, cup holders, door panels, footwells, transmission tunnel, etc. It’s a really cool look. And unlike my Golf R, the virtual cockpit isn’t neutered—Apple CarPlay can project to the instrument panel! As you’d suspect, the B&O system is sick. You can feel the sub in the footwells.

This particular car had the 7 speed dual clutch transmission. While I love my manuals, I could easily live with this. I’ve never experienced an “automatic” shift with such speed. Redline shifts are stunning quick with the chassis in Dynamic mode and the transmission in Sport. The paddles respond instantly, and downshifts are accompanied by throttle blips that match revs perfectly, even at high RPM. Unfortunately, it still automatically upshifts at redline, no matter what.

Paired to the 252 turbo 4, the car feels every bit of it’s 5.1 second 0-60 run. The car has factory launch control, but I've yet to try it. A stage 1 piggyback tune would put this car in a nice place.

The car handles pretty good, about on par with my G37S when it was stock, although there is less body roll. The OEM ExtremeContact DWS 06 UHP AS tires are the weakest link.

My wife loved it. And just like that, I have 2 German cars in my garage.

This is a huge upgrade over my wife’s ’17 Accord Touring with 40K. Being an CPO ’18, we have 44 months of remaining B2B warranty coverage with no mileage limit—which was important to us, as the wife drives 18-20K a year.

Since said wife can’t drive manual, we use her car for 90% of family duty. I’m certainly excited to be driving this instead of a FWD V6 powered Accord, although I’ll miss the sound, as the 3.5L motor sounded awesome. Must have been the VTEC lol.

Tint and some PPF work was last weekend, and a piggyback stage 1 tune is in the future.

For my fellow manual guys, it might be an option worth considering if you can find one. For those who prefer Automatics, I’d definitely check one out, especially if you lean more luxury that sport.

Anyway, pics:
Rochester (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 05:26 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Go with this!

If you want a sedan!

If you want a beauty coupe!
Rochester (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
The Alpha sedan looks neat when I see them around town, but are they offered in stick? Also hard to ignore all of the negative press it received for reliability issues.

============

Won't be replacing my car anytime soon...but if something happened to it, I'd probably scour the Internet for the cleanest E39 M5 that I could find for under $40k or so. Know they've got their issues as well, but my understanding is they're mostly auxiliary items. Doesn't help that there are a few clean ones I see rolling around my neighborhood...

Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Just so everyone knows, I had nothing to do with that post of the Alfa and the Jag. TheDevilG did that entirely on his own, without any mind meld with me.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?