G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Honesty over nostalgia, the Camaro interior has always been cheap and poorly designed.

The Stang's interior is better, but only marginally so.

I think it's on purpose.
You're right, I just didn't remember it being that bad. Man it is just awful. I hope the higher trims would be a little better.

Originally Posted by Pato A. Vidal
Go test drive a C6 Z06 or Grand Sport and you'll have a hard time splurging for the C7.
I have and the C7 is in another world as far as performance. This matters to me as this type of car would see a good deal of track use if I went with a dedicated sports car. Although, it looks like the new C8 will be a huge jump up in performance from the C7. I cannot wait to see some reviews on this new Vette. It should be a world beater.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You're right, I just didn't remember it being that bad. Man it is just awful. I hope the higher trims would be a little better.
Can't go back if you're emotionally invested in something better. Last time I drove something similar was maybe 3 years ago, testing a Mustang GT 6MT. Immediately after, I realized I wanted the car I already had more than I wanted that Ford. Car was fast, though. Really fast.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/nostalgia
Old 09-24-2019, 03:23 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Yeah, that's beautiful. Rides like a truck and handles like a boat... but still freaking beautiful.
That's why I mentioned lingenfelter. They at least used to make various suspension products, including a carbon fiber transverse leaf spring, that would get cornering up above 1G lateral for the C3 platform. Add modern LS1 or LS6 motor and trans with more than 4 speeds and it's a totally different beast. Also wheels larger than 14"...

Edit: So Lingenfelter no longer appears to support the C3, but plenty of other (and likely cheaper) options do.

Last edited by rotarymike; 09-24-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Can't go back if you're emotionally invested in something better. Last time I drove something similar was maybe 3 years ago, testing a Mustang GT 6MT. Immediately after, I realized I wanted the car I already had more than I wanted that Ford. Car was fast, though. Really fast.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/nostalgia
Haha! My limited seat time in Camaros yesterday was to see if a future Z/28 or SS 1LE would make sense. Fortunately, no nostalgia for me. I think if I was sitting in these Camaros to spark nostalgia for the great Camaros of the 60's that these modern cars are supposed to muster, then I would be even more disappointed.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:17 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
a '72 stingray that I can throw scads of Lingenfelter parts at is on my personal bucket list.

Specifically, pre-plastic bumpers.
My dream corvette would be a C1 after they went to the quad headlights and quote taillights. Something like a '61 or '62. Of course I wouldn't turn down an early C2 vette either... My buddy has this '63 split window, which IMO isn't quite as beautiful as the C1's, but it definitely has a more tough appearance than the earlier body style.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'll admit to a certain Vette lust. The 1993 40th Anniversary Corvette, hardtop, in hunter green with the beige leather interior.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:14 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rochester
i'll admit to a certain vette lust. The 1993 40th anniversary corvette, hardtop, in hunter green with the beige leather interior.

hell to the yes!!!!! Sawtooth wheels ftw.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
My dream corvette would be a C1 after they went to the quad headlights and quote taillights. Something like a '61 or '62. Of course I wouldn't turn down an early C2 vette either... My buddy has this '63 split window, which IMO isn't quite as beautiful as the C1's, but it definitely has a more tough appearance than the earlier body style.

Your friend is very lucky. The split window Vette is rare and valuable.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm a real sucker for a split window. I saw one in silver and just melted a few weeks ago. Not even a vette guy. I just really like when the styling on a car all comes together just right.

By way of update, I ended up with a Golf R. I found a CPO 2015 with very low miles for a good price. It's not what I really wanted, but it's a fairly fun drive, (moreso once I tune and update the suspension) has a very nice interior, and will hold its value exceptionally well. My wife would love to have it when her GTI is paid off in a couple of years, or I could trade it in still at that point, so I have options. I'll add a picture later.

I liked the m240i. Nice size, practical, fast. Lifeless steering, though. (the FWD-based Golf R has better feel) I just couldn't find one in my price range as they were all newer and lower miles for whatever reason. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a CPO 340i with the M Sport package and Track Handling Package out of state, (couldn't find ANY RWD Bimmer's in Ohio) but they wouldn't move, and after fees + transport costs it was about $3500 more expensive out the door while having 22k more miles on it. It was above my number on both counts, and I just didn't feel good about the commitment. I'm still fairly concerned I'll ultimately have regrets, but at least they won't be financial regrets.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
I'm a real sucker for a split window. I saw one in silver and just melted a few weeks ago. Not even a vette guy. I just really like when the styling on a car all comes together just right.

By way of update, I ended up with a Golf R. I found a CPO 2015 with very low miles for a good price. It's not what I really wanted, but it's a fairly fun drive, (moreso once I tune and update the suspension) has a very nice interior, and will hold its value exceptionally well. My wife would love to have it when her GTI is paid off in a couple of years, or I could trade it in still at that point, so I have options. I'll add a picture later.

I liked the m240i. Nice size, practical, fast. Lifeless steering, though. (the FWD-based Golf R has better feel) I just couldn't find one in my price range as they were all newer and lower miles for whatever reason. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a CPO 340i with the M Sport package and Track Handling Package out of state, (couldn't find ANY RWD Bimmer's in Ohio) but they wouldn't move, and after fees + transport costs it was about $3500 more expensive out the door while having 22k more miles on it. It was above my number on both counts, and I just didn't feel good about the commitment. I'm still fairly concerned I'll ultimately have regrets, but at least they won't be financial regrets.
Welcome to the R club

2015, so DCT as the 6MT wasn't available until '16 IIRC. Dose it have the DCC option?

I've had my '18 for a little over a year, and while there are definitely things I miss about my G37--specifically, steering feedback and the 6MT with a STS was in another league for mechanical feel--I don't regret the decision.

Stage 1 + RSB with Moog endlinks will transform the car. Go big on the RSB to dial out understeer. And grab a set of RS3 brake cooling ducts--they're cheap and very effective.
The following users liked this post:
woofersus (09-30-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've had my '18 for a little over a year
OMG. Has it been a year already?

and while there are definitely things I miss about my G37--specifically, steering feedback and the 6MT with a STS was in another league for mechanical feel
You're not wrong about that. RJM Pedal + STS + Sport steering rack in the G37 is a joy every single time I drive it.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So many new cool cars

Recently dove my old G that I gave to my sis in 2016. I had a Stillen blower kit on it. It was cool on launch when the front end lifted up a bit on the suspension! My tuned hard ATS-V is fine, but I’ve finally found the best replacement for my old G. I put my order in for a C8. This is gonna be the coolest ride ever. Not gonna mod it at all so I can keep the warranty. The wife is obviously not happy about it.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-04-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:47 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Welcome to the R club

2015, so DCT as the 6MT wasn't available until '16 IIRC. Dose it have the DCC option?

I've had my '18 for a little over a year, and while there are definitely things I miss about my G37--specifically, steering feedback and the 6MT with a STS was in another league for mechanical feel--I don't regret the decision.

Stage 1 + RSB with Moog endlinks will transform the car. Go big on the RSB to dial out understeer. And grab a set of RS3 brake cooling ducts--they're cheap and very effective.
Yes, it has Navigation and DCC, and the 19" Cadiz wheels. I definitely miss the steering feel of my G37, although the DSG transmission definitely performs better than the G's 7AT. I also miss the noises my G made, but I'm probably not going to modify the exhaust or intake on the R. I don't care for turbo spooling whine, and I'm not super impressed with loud 4-bangers, either. I'm going to let it stay understated and focus on the things that really make it fast and fun. And it already is - I know a tune will really increase the power, but this is a quick car. FWIW, I test drove an '18 6MT GTI with the thought of going cheaper and biding my time, but I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was notchy and tough to row through quickly, the clutch engagement was really high, and the gearing sucked the life out of the powertrain. Maybe it all feels much different in an R, though. I didn't test a manual one of those. I didn't actually realize until after I bought it and noticed the highway RPMs that they have different gearing.

I'm leaning toward Unitronic Stage 1+ for my tune (I can always get 93 where I live) because by all reports it's the most smooth and natural feeling tune, and I like that they did it without cranking boost to uncomfortable levels. Better mileage too! I have to imagine that 375hp and 350tq will feel pretty darn fast in a 3200lb car. I'll definitely get the TCU tune at the same time, as the current sport mode is super annoying, and normal mode lugs and resists downshifting except when you're starting off the line.

What sway bar did you go with? It's nice that there are so many aftermarket parts for these cars, but it's so much harder to figure out which one to get. I'd like a lighter, tubular one if possible. I'm thinking of going with the SuperPro 24mm bar because the color matches the paint, lol. And they sell it with it's own endlinks as a kit.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I'm probably not going to modify the exhaust or intake on the R. I don't care for turbo spooling whine, and I'm not super impressed with loud 4-bangers,
either.
Agreed with not being impressed with most 4 bangers. There is a shoe box sized resonator towards the rear, optional on the S3 is a delete that eliminates the resonator. It's <$100 and adds a little extra growl without being obnoxious. I have that, and the exhaust flaps coded always open with OBDEleven. Sounds good and does't drone.

FWIW, I test drove an '18 6MT GTI with the thought of going cheaper and biding my time, but I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was notchy and tough to row through quickly, the clutch engagement was really high, and the gearing sucked the life out of the powertrain. Maybe it all feels much different in an R, though. I didn't test a manual one of those. I didn't actually realize until after I bought it and noticed the highway RPMs that they have different gearing.
I drove an '18 Autobahn and felt the same way. The gears are a lot shorter on the R and I thought it made a huge difference. That, and the GTI was wheelspin city. Funny how wheelspin is fun in RWD, but cheap feeling in FWD.

I'm leaning toward Unitronic Stage 1+ for my tune (I can always get 93 where I live) because by all reports it's the most smooth and natural feeling tune, and I like that they did it without cranking boost to uncomfortable levels. Better mileage too! I have to imagine that 375hp and 350tq will feel pretty darn fast in a 3200lb car. I'll definitely get the TCU tune at the same time, as the current sport mode is super annoying, and normal mode lugs and resists downshifting except when you're starting off the line.
I'm running a plain old JB1 which is something like +45 HP/TQ. Enough to spin all 4 wheels from a stop, and plenty for a daily driver, or at least for how I use the car.

What sway bar did you go with? It's nice that there are so many aftermarket parts for these cars, but it's so much harder to figure out which one to get. I'd like a lighter, tubular one if possible. I'm thinking of going with the SuperPro 24mm bar because the color matches the paint, lol. And they sell it with it's own endlinks as a kit.
I got 034, and I regret not going bigger--it's 22.2 mm. I'm going to swap it for a 25 when it cools down. Besides that, the only other thing on my to-do list is to swap front calipers with the base Porsche Macan Brembo setup.

Congrats on the new-to-you car. I have Lapiz blue too, it's a beautiful color.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:44 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Agreed with not being impressed with most 4 bangers. There is a shoe box sized resonator towards the rear, optional on the S3 is a delete that eliminates the resonator. It's <$100 and adds a little extra growl without being obnoxious. I have that, and the exhaust flaps coded always open with OBDEleven. Sounds good and does't drone.
Interesting. I checked out some Youtube videos and it seems to sound pretty good. I'll look into that. I already got an OBDEleven and made some tweaks. I haven't tried the exhaust flaps yet. I turned down the Soundaktor by 50% and will probably turn it down even a little more. Also added a 4th blink to the lane change signal and killed the seatbelt ding because I was sick of it going off whenever I set something more than 3oz. in the seat next to me.

I drove an '18 Autobahn and felt the same way. The gears are a lot shorter on the R and I thought it made a huge difference. That, and the GTI was wheelspin city. Funny how wheelspin is fun in RWD, but cheap feeling in FWD.
Glad it wasn't just my rust. I remember getting back in my wife's '15 GTI as we left and it felt so much faster with the DSG. The reason to drive manual is to have more fun, and this one was less. Sounds like it's a lot better in the R. Have you had any trouble with slip? I was a little concerned I'd have to spend $2500 on an upgraded clutch if I ended up with a manual and tuned.

I got 034, and I regret not going bigger--it's 22.2 mm. I'm going to swap it for a 25 when it cools down. Besides that, the only other thing on my to-do list is to swap front calipers with the base Porsche Macan Brembo setup.
I definitely want to go at least 24mm, and preferably 25mm. I think my only other mod will be that I'm reading up on retrofits of the newer infotainment system and bigger screen. Tempting if I can find the parts used by trolling classifieds. And I may update the tail lights to replica LED ones if I get bored...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?