G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Y'all must make a lot more than me. I look for cars that range in the 30-40k range, not 180k range.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Y'all must make a lot more than me. I look for cars that range in the 30-40k range, not 180k range.
You must make more than me because I got my G37 used for half that. Just hoping to keep this car until I can afford a CPO dream daily.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Don't get me wrong, that Taycan looks awesome and almost everything about it sounds amazing, but WTH is with the "turbo" name, lol
Old 09-05-2019, 09:27 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
Don't get me wrong, that Taycan looks awesome and almost everything about it sounds amazing, but WTH is with the "turbo" name, lol
Honestly no idea why they used Turbo. They could have kept it as a callback with a "Taycan T" and "Taycan TS" to keep the packages semi-consistent without using the turbo moniker. What a stupid use of turbo
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to say I expected a lot more from Porsche. Autoblog did a side by side comparo and I honestly don't know why anyone besides a fanboy would pick Porsche over Tesla unless they're exclusively tracking it. Sure the Porsche probably has a much nicer interior and a nicer ride but is that really worth nearly $100k more when you consider the limitations?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/04/...-s-comparison/
Old 09-06-2019, 05:19 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
This is like talking about whether your gulfstream 4 or 5 has a better ride, when the rest of us have a kite. A nice kite, but still.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Here's my replacement for my G. Came a little earlier than I was expecting and actually planning on trading it in to get back into a G. It was fun and they are cheap now comparatively. As far as replacement that's on my timeline, I'd love an S6 or a C63 AMG. But that will probably be a while.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The other day we had an M2 Competition here for pictures. I got to look inside it and take some pics, but they came to pick it up just as I was going to drive it (bad timing). It looks very nice and very performance oriented in person. Nice improvements over the regular M2. Hopefully, in a few years this will depreciate a bit and be a consideration for me when my daughter is old enough to crawl in the back seat by herself.

This car looks very well proportioned in person. (Not too crazy about this color though) I hope this rides a bit better than the M3/M4 Competition since it has 19" wheels instead of 20" wheels, but no adaptive suspension option. (The adaptive suspension in the M3/M4 Competition rode pretty rough in every setting.)

I like the look of the wheels and I love the huge rotors and calipers for track days. A much more serious bit of kit than even the M3/M4 competition. Did you notice the self-leveling center caps? - thank you Rolls Royce partnership.

The fenders (especially the rear) really kick out for the coke bottle look from above and the side. Nice!

The interior is nicer than the regular M2 as well. Seats are more similar to the M3/M4 now and there seems to be more suede and carbon inside than I remember in the regular M2. The seats in the regular M2 almost look like vinyl.

Fully digital gauges are a nice upgrade too.

Center console now looks just like the M3/M4.

Carbon on the door pulls and suede inserts are a nice touch. Lots of blue stitching inside which looks better with all the new suede and nicer seats.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The other day we had an M2 Competition here for pictures.

I love the details on the front splitter. Almost makes me hopeful they're aerodynamically useful and not just stylistic.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I love the details on the front splitter. Almost makes me hopeful they're aerodynamically useful and not just stylistic.
Good eyes. I didn't look close enough to see if they were actually functional, but I cannot imagine there would be a need for them to speed up air for the lower section of the radiator. Then again, maybe the oil cooler or power steering cooler is placed low in the bumper.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'm thinking more 'remove air that is turbulent from hitting the splitter' functionality rather than providing airflow to a specific thing.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'm thinking more 'remove air that is turbulent from hitting the splitter' functionality rather than providing airflow to a specific thing.
That makes sense
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Ever since we had that M2 Competition at our store I have been thinking about these cars. There is a surprising amount of room in the back seat and the seats fold down for my mountain bike. (Those are the two practical options I have been looking for in a 2dr. for a long time.) The fact that the Competition has the M3 engine that is easily tuned to 600 hp and even bigger brakes than the M3 for track days makes it an extremely versatile car for me. The 3rd important thing with this car is that they are relatively affordable. A lot of options in the low $40k range and it looks like the Competition model is depreciating at a similar rate. This might be a real option for me in a few years when my daughter is old enough to climb in the back seat by herself.

I couldn't sleep last night during a big storm and looked at M2 options on Autotrader. I found this one in white that just looks so good with only a different set of wheels and a set of springs. (And I didn't think I wanted another white car)

Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Ever since we had that M2 Competition at our store I have been thinking about these cars. There is a surprising amount of room in the back seat and the seats fold down for my mountain bike. (Those are the two practical options I have been looking for in a 2dr. for a long time.) The fact that the Competition has the M3 engine that is easily tuned to 600 hp and even bigger brakes than the M3 for track days makes it an extremely versatile car for me. The 3rd important thing with this car is that they are relatively affordable. A lot of options in the low $40k range and it looks like the Competition model is depreciating at a similar rate. This might be a real option for me in a few years when my daughter is old enough to climb in the back seat by herself.

I couldn't sleep last night during a big storm and looked at M2 options on Autotrader. I found this one in white that just looks so good with only a different set of wheels and a set of springs. (And I didn't think I wanted another white car)
That would be a solid choice, and something I've considered as well for that 2nd car, but I keep coming back to the inevitable Mustang GT/Camaro SS comparison. Long term reliability would seemingly be better--or at least less expensive--on the domestics, but I like the size of the 2 series better and the lack of the muscle car stigma.

I'm admittedly not entirely up to speed on the 2 series as there are quite a few that get the M treatment to some degree--M2 Competition, M2, and M240i.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That would be a solid choice, and something I've considered as well for that 2nd car, but I keep coming back to the inevitable Mustang GT/Camaro SS comparison. Long term reliability would seemingly be better--or at least less expensive--on the domestics, but I like the size of the 2 series better and the lack of the muscle car stigma.

I'm admittedly not entirely up to speed on the 2 series as there are quite a few that get the M treatment to some degree--M2 Competition, M2, and M240i.
Road & Track did an issue a while back comparing the original M3 to the M2 and I believe, the M240i. It was interesting. But the better read was more recently when they compared the M2 Competition to the Camaro SS 1LE. They were shocked that the M2 Competition felt more like a muscle car with its endless power and torque and the SS 1LE was the canon carver and sharper handling car- probably due to its magnetic shocks and super wide and sticky tires. I came away from reading the article thinking, "why in the world would anyone pay another $15-$20k for the M2?" Then I remembered that it is much easier and cheaper to add wider & stickier tires and springs to the M2 to make it handle like an SS 1LE than it is to add another 200 hp to the Camaro like you can to the M3 motor in that M2 with a simple tune.

In the real world the M2 definitely has a nicer cabin, better proportions, a bigger back seat, better visibility, and probably a more usable trunk. However, even on the used car market the SS 1LE will probably remain a huge bargain and I am sure it will ride nice with the magnetic shocks. I will definitely have to take a serious look and drive both cars to be sure if I do end up going with a 2 door.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?