G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You are right about the exhaust tips and soot. I was just reading in Car & Driver about the new Ford Explorer ST exhaust tips that actually have holes in the bottom to release the soot: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...exhaust-weird/
Ha, that's where I saw that!

Savagegeese review of the 6MT Accord Sport has a segment where he shows the car on a lift and how Honda designed the tips into the rear bumper to work around the same issue. There was soot dripping down the tailpipe onto the muffler, but the tips were clean.

Really wish more cars would use dual injection to get around the carbon buildup issue.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:37 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Soot or no soot, still don't like it. Looks really cheap.

Then again, SS tips that aren't kept clean... major pet peeve of mine when I see that on an otherwise nice car.

Worse is when you see a six figure Mercedes where the rear wheels have a reasonable polished surface, but the fronts are yellow with tar and rail dust collecting for years.
The tips don't bother me too much because when you produce a lot of power, those tips are going to get dirty. But people who wash their cars, but the wheels look awful and the insides of the spokes are brown drive me nuts. Maybe that will be a thing of the past if Porsche's Tungsten-Carbide coated rotors become cheaper and more common and brake dust is no longer an issue. The only thing I don't understand in the following article is that they claim the dust comes from the rotors and not the pads. What? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...coated-brakes/
Old 08-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
The appearance of exhaust tips is a big thing for me. IDK why, but it is.

Back when I was strangely jonesing for a Stelvio, I had decided their chromed plastic exhaust tip trim was actually kind of cool. I'm not proud.

That said, I've never seen one on the road where the tips weren't blackened with soot. You need to clean them all the time.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Those chrome tips look like a disaster to try to keep clean. Fortunately the tips on my car stay pretty clean. The inside is another story, but the outside of the tips usually stay decent. Probably from all of the extra power blowing the soot straight out so it doesn't have time to stick to anything.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The tips on my Fast Intentions exhaust are made by a company called Sebring Tuning. Love these things.

You can see here why I kind of liked the fake tips on the Stelvio.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-30-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

The only thing I don't understand in the following article is that they claim the dust comes from the rotors and not the pads. What? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...coated-brakes/
Well, they Porsche engineers claim:

Porsche found that discs are responsible for the majority of brake dust and that pads, commonly thought to be the biggest contributor to dust, only account for 30 percent. The reason is that while pads and rotors both lose thickness over their life cycles, rotors have far greater surface area than pads. All that material has to go somewhere, and on Porsches, that schmutz—scientifically speaking, it’s ferric oxide—ends up dirtying pretty wheels.

IDK, that I'm in any position to try and dispute that. So...... (Edit: people aren't buying it in the comments to that article either)

But, 10 piston calipers on 16.4" rotors

And at them bringing up the 370Z from a decade ago that had total brake failure due to Nissan fitting 'comfort' (low dust/noise) pads to the Akebono calipers.

And finally, my exhaust tips have a ton of soot on them, and my wheels are covered in brake dust. I feel bad. I'll tell my wife I need punished
Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The tips on my Fast Intentions exhaust are made by a company called Sebring Tuning. Love these things.

You can see here why I kind of liked the fake tips on the Stelvio.

That does make sense about your liking the Stelvio tips. Are yours fairly easy to keep clean? The design does not look that bad for maintenance.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Well, they Porsche engineers claim:

Porsche found that discs are responsible for the majority of brake dust and that pads, commonly thought to be the biggest contributor to dust, only account for 30 percent. The reason is that while pads and rotors both lose thickness over their life cycles, rotors have far greater surface area than pads. All that material has to go somewhere, and on Porsches, that schmutz—scientifically speaking, it’s ferric oxide—ends up dirtying pretty wheels.

IDK, that I'm in any position to try and dispute that. So...... (Edit: people aren't buying it in the comments to that article either)

But, 10 piston calipers on 16.4" rotors

And at them bringing up the 370Z from a decade ago that had total brake failure due to Nissan fitting 'comfort' (low dust/noise) pads to the Akebono calipers.

And finally, my exhaust tips have a ton of soot on them, and my wheels are covered in brake dust. I feel bad. I'll tell my wife I need punished
Well, those Porsche engineers are pretty solid. The surface area point about the rotors makes sense, it just logically seems odd as the pads are softer and wear so much quicker. You would think the ratio is more like 50/50, but 70% of dust is from the rotors. Crazy!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Well, those Porsche engineers are pretty solid. The surface area point about the rotors makes sense, it just logically seems odd as the pads are softer and wear so much quicker. You would think the ratio is more like 50/50, but 70% of dust is from the rotors. Crazy!

We're both assuming they are Porsche engineers and not Akebono engineers who just managed to help get a major contract with Porsche to sell brakes at $3500 a pop
Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That does make sense about your liking the Stelvio tips. Are yours fairly easy to keep clean? The design does not look that bad for maintenance.
Every Spring and Fall I put the back end up on ramps and try and do a thorough cleaning of the tips and cans. In between, I just wipe them with the wash mitt as the last step in the wash. So yeah, very easy to maintain. Granted, I've got 20k miles and 4+ years on them, including Upstate NY winters, so they're no longer perfect. But nothing is perfect forever.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:23 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Soot or no soot, still don't like it. Looks really cheap.

Then again, SS tips that aren't kept clean... major pet peeve of mine when I see that on an otherwise nice car.

Worse is when you see a six figure Mercedes where the rear wheels have a reasonable polished surface, but the fronts are yellow with tar and rail dust collecting for years.
I read a similar article, just the CT4-V Blackwing though, not the lesser CT4-V or CT5-V. I'm cautiously optimistic.

To Rochester's comment, I saw a review where someone commented this design trend of exhaust tips in the bumper is a work-a-round for the sooty black tips that direct injection causes. Manufacturers can still give "dual exhausts" but actually exit the mufflers prior to the tips to reduce buildup. I think some cars even have holes on the bottom, prior to the tips to direct the soot out and down.

The tips on my R get way dirtier than my G37 or past cars ever did.
Ford is doing exactly this with their new Explorer ST. Pretty cool design too... they direct the exhaust out the bottom of the exhaust outlet before the tips to help keep them clean yet keep the look of real polished quad tips to help keep Rochester happy. LOL

Old 08-30-2019, 06:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well this is a bit disappointing news for the next gen STI. It sounds like the car will get a new body and maybe a new engine (unclear in the article), but it will have roughly the same horsepower it has had for the last 15+ years. If this is true, this is completely unacceptable for a performance car. I can now buy a Camry with about the same horsepower. I will wait to hear the official release from Subaru, but this is pretty lame and if true I will cross the car off my list of candidates for G37 replacement. I really had high hopes for this car as my first 3 cars were all Subarus and all drastically different in terms of performance. It looks like once the STI came out in '04 that is as far as their engineers could take the power. Can you imagine if Corvette engineers did the same thing? https://carbuzz.com/news/big-changes...subaru-wrx-sti

Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Ford is doing exactly this with their new Explorer ST. Pretty cool design too... they direct the exhaust out the bottom of the exhaust outlet before the tips to help keep them clean yet keep the look of real polished quad tips to help keep Rochester happy. LOL
Here is the article I posted earlier today about the Explorer ST

You are right about the exhaust tips and soot. I was just reading in Car & Driver about the new Ford Explorer ST exhaust tips that actually have holes in the bottom to release the soot: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...exhaust-weird/
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (08-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G

Yikes! IDK how to feel about that. No wait, I don't like it. Still fake.

I don't like fake hood scoops. I don't like fake fender vents. And I don't like fake exhaust tips.

Makes me wonder what's "fake" on my car that I wouldn't like if I thought about it hard enough.

I suppose my Parking Brake masquerading as a proper hand-brake, which it isn't.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Well this is a bit disappointing news for the next gen STI. It sounds like the car will get a new body and maybe a new engine (unclear in the article), but it will have roughly the same horsepower it has had for the last 15+ years. If this is true, this is completely unacceptable for a performance car. I can now buy a Camry with about the same horsepower. I will wait to hear the official release from Subaru, but this is pretty lame and if true I will cross the car off my list of candidates for G37 replacement. I really had high hopes for this car as my first 3 cars were all Subarus and all drastically different in terms of performance. It looks like once the STI came out in '04 that is as far as their engineers could take the power. Can you imagine if Corvette engineers did the same thing? https://carbuzz.com/news/big-changes...subaru-wrx-sti
I wouldn't get too caught up on the horsepower--nobody keeps these stock anyways. Cobb will have OTS maps within 6 months putting down more power. It's not like a V6 Camry has a 6MT. Or 3 limited slip differentials. Or Brembo 6 piston brakes. Or Recaro seats.

This 2.0-2.4L class of subcompact economy car based hot rods tops out at 315-330 horsepower. Anything more than that is going to push these cars out of their current price range and position them unfavorably to more upscale competition. Nobody is going to buy a $50K+ STi when the same coin puts you in a BWM 340.

I'm most disappointed to see the initial transmission offering in the WRX will be a CVT paired to a 1.8T
Old 09-02-2019, 05:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I wouldn't get too caught up on the horsepower--nobody keeps these stock anyways. Cobb will have OTS maps within 6 months putting down more power. It's not like a V6 Camry has a 6MT. Or 3 limited slip differentials. Or Brembo 6 piston brakes. Or Recaro seats.

This 2.0-2.4L class of subcompact economy car based hot rods tops out at 315-330 horsepower. Anything more than that is going to push these cars out of their current price range and position them unfavorably to more upscale competition. Nobody is going to buy a $50K+ STi when the same coin puts you in a BWM 340.

I'm most disappointed to see the initial transmission offering in the WRX will be a CVT paired to a 1.8T
I did Cobb tunes on all of my Subarus and that was really cool back in 2002-2009. But the fact is that the competition moved on a long time ago from 300 hp cars. Look at the Camaro and Mustang now. The next Golf R, Focus RS, and Nissan Z are all supposed to have 400-ish hp. Sure you can tune an STI, but when you start out 100 hp down on your competitors you've already lost.

The last track day I was at had a tuned STI in my group and I flew past him like he was standing still. And I was definitely not the fastest car in my run group. The STI might be enough for some people who just want a newer version of the same car they have made since 2004, but I want my next car to be faster with more power, not the opposite. Hopefully, everything I read is wrong and the new STI is a giant killer like it used to be, but it is not looking good at this point.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?