G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 11:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I just saw this article about the new Supra and learned that the engine has a closed deck design. This means that it should be able to handle some serious hp. They think it will eventually eclipse the mighty 2JZ in the last Supra. Do you recognize the guy in the video in the article? Hmmm this could get interesting...

https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-mor...supra-s-engine

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
There's a Texas company already offering a 6MT conversion on the Supra, which is a curious thing. $12k for the conversion, with a big 90 HP bump. Nice!

I still think the car is ugly as sin, LOL.

http://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/13/2020-toyota-supra-manual-transmission-conversion/
Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
There's a Texas company already offering a 6MT conversion on the Supra, which is a curious thing. $12k for the conversion, with a big 90 HP bump. Nice!

http://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/13/2020-toyota-supra-manual-transmission-conversion/
I think it is gorgeous!! And it is not the average BMW.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

I saw that about the 6MT swap. I think for $12k I could get used to A/T if it is really as fast I think it can be. You are right about looks. I am hopeful that the aftermarket comes out with a better looking front bumper. I think it actually looks pretty aggressive from the back. It is almost like two different design teams worked on the front and back of this car.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:33 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
The amount of money to make the MK5 be the way I'd want it (looks and power) would just be too much on top of an already steep price. Now.....if I could afford that I'd probably opt in for this instead despite being a long time Supra owner.

https://www.motor1.com/news/365420/i...i6aJ8JcmD0nlm8
Old 08-17-2019, 11:14 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
The amount of money to make the MK5 be the way I'd want it (looks and power) would just be too much on top of an already steep price. Now.....if I could afford that I'd probably opt in for this instead despite being a long time Supra owner.

https://www.motor1.com/news/365420/i...i6aJ8JcmD0nlm8
That Infiniti does look sweet, but given Nissan's current situation, I would be shocked if that hit production. We have been waiting over 10 years for a GT-R and 370Z replacement. Nissan is struggling financially so an expensive niche market car is probably the last thing on their radar. I really hope I am wrong as that would be sweet, but I do remember lusting over a very similar Infiniti with a GT-R engine that was supposed to debut on the heels of Sebastian Vettel's F1 successes. That was when Nissan/Infiniti were doing really well financially and it was still not green lighted.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:34 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah that was the old Q50 Eea Rouge which looked pretty damn good. They hyped it up and eventually canceled it
I expect the same thing will happen with the Black S

The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (08-19-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
^^^ that would have been sick. I just am sick of Infiniti making cars that are almost cool.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:14 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I just saw this article about the new Supra and learned that the engine has a closed deck design. This means that it should be able to handle some serious hp. They think it will eventually eclipse the mighty 2JZ in the last Supra. Do you recognize the guy in the video in the article? Hmmm this could get interesting...

https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-mor...supra-s-engine

I just watched a Youtube teardown of the BMW engine.

I think it is going to be a very durable engine. Seems extremely well built.

That, and the fact that you won't be able to easily coax 1k HP out of it should help it be durable. You gotta see what they have going on for the exhaust port, manifold is integrated into the head. We'll have to see what the aftermarket can do for that, to get 1,000hp you'll need serious head work that addresses the built-in exhaust manifold. This is where the 2JZ may retain it's place.
Also, holy crap there's A LOT of plastic on that engine!
Old 08-18-2019, 03:21 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Last week my buddy threw me the keys to his 2015 Panamera 4S. I think he thought I'd be "blown-away" by it. Honestly, it is a very nice car ($143k originally) but the performance, hmmmm....
I sold my 2016 GTI DSG with JB4 before I bought my Q60 AWD. I kind of felt that my Q60 was sluggish after the GTI. Turns out, the Panamera 4S doesn't feel as fast as my GTI nor does it seem any faster than my Q60. Maybe about even?
I checked the old reviews for G37x and 2015 Panamera 4S, seems they both do about 104-105 in the 1/4 mile.

So, a "worthy" replacement for the Infiniti? Lexus GS-F, maybe? RC-F for coupe? Gotta keep on-par or better for reliability so German is out. New mid-engine Corvette is SUPER appealing too. $60K for a mid-engine sports car? Maybe I could consider a 2019 Corvette also for the depreciation!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I just watched a Youtube teardown of the BMW engine.

I think it is going to be a very durable engine. Seems extremely well built.

That, and the fact that you won't be able to easily coax 1k HP out of it should help it be durable. You gotta see what they have going on for the exhaust port, manifold is integrated into the head. We'll have to see what the aftermarket can do for that, to get 1,000hp you'll need serious head work that addresses the built-in exhaust manifold. This is where the 2JZ may retain it's place.
Also, holy crap there's A LOT of plastic on that engine!
The exhaust manifold is integrated into the head? I am trying to picture this. Do you mean it is integrated into the block? I am sure there is a solid engineering reason for this or maybe I am just reading this wrong.

Last week my buddy threw me the keys to his 2015 Panamera 4S. I think he thought I'd be "blown-away" by it. Honestly, it is a very nice car ($143k originally) but the performance, hmmmm....
I sold my 2016 GTI DSG with JB4 before I bought my Q60 AWD. I kind of felt that my Q60 was sluggish after the GTI. Turns out, the Panamera 4S doesn't feel as fast as my GTI nor does it seem any faster than my Q60. Maybe about even?
I checked the old reviews for G37x and 2015 Panamera 4S, seems they both do about 104-105 in the 1/4 mile.

So, a "worthy" replacement for the Infiniti? Lexus GS-F, maybe? RC-F for coupe? Gotta keep on-par or better for reliability so German is out. New mid-engine Corvette is SUPER appealing too. $60K for a mid-engine sports car? Maybe I could consider a 2019 Corvette also for the depreciation!
It's crazy to think a Porsche would be slow, but that car really does not have much power for its size.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

The exhaust manifold is integrated into the head? I am trying to picture this. Do you mean it is integrated into the block? I am sure there is a solid engineering reason for this or maybe I am just reading this wrong.
It's a 6 cylinder head, ya? But in the tear-down vids there are only two small exhaust ports that the turbo directly bolts to. This is also the case for the newer Honda turbo engines, I don't think anyone has been able to bolt a different turbo to those cars because there's no exhaust manifold, and the turbo housings are also cast just for that cylinder head. You can't do what has traditionally been done: different exhaust manifolds with many different choices for standard turbo designs.
This is where the 2JZ will continue to dominate. The BMW engine is certainly robust, but that cylinder head issue.....

It's crazy to think a Porsche would be slow, but that car really does not have much power for its size.
I was quite surprised. I haven't driven a Porsche in 25 years, and I was let down! But, you know, for what I paid for my Q60, it goes to show there really isn't much out there that is significantly better without being much more expensive.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Someone will eventually make a different head for it that is more traditional in manifoldery, I would bet. Some german shop probably for the BMW version.

Or someone with too much time on their hands will find out that a prior head or a jaguar head, etc. will fit with minor mods.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

It's a 6 cylinder head, ya? But in the tear-down vids there are only two small exhaust ports that the turbo directly bolts to. This is also the case for the newer Honda turbo engines, I don't think anyone has been able to bolt a different turbo to those cars because there's no exhaust manifold, and the turbo housings are also cast just for that cylinder head. You can't do what has traditionally been done: different exhaust manifolds with many different choices for standard turbo designs.
This is where the 2JZ will continue to dominate. The BMW engine is certainly robust, but that cylinder head issue.....
Wow, that sounds odd. Do you have any good pics of that set up on the new Supra motor? Like RotaryMike said, I am sure with enough time someone will engineer a solution.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The BMW M2 CS is supposed to debut at the LA auto show in November. This should make a pretty awesome car. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it will not depreciate too much on the used market over the years due to being limited to only 2,000 units. However, that should make the Competition model a decent used car deal and the regular M2 should be a good find on the used market.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?