G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:33 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Supra with tune only. 452WHP 461TQ. Tires & 100 octane. Everything else stock.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^The mustang is definitely the better car in terms of outward visibility, but the camaro has everything else going for it, chassis, engine, more performance bits. Albeit if i'm still in the chicago area, an AT would be more welcome.
The Mustang's best attribute over the Camaro is indeed outward visibility. Blind spot monitoring and a big V8 to dart ahead should help

Originally Posted by qmantran

Supra with tune only. 452WHP 461TQ. Tires & 100 octane. Everything else stock.
That's a sick trap speed. But I'm still meh on the car.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

That's a sick trap speed. But I'm still meh on the car.

Drive one and it'll change your mind
Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
Drive one and it'll change your mind
There is zero chance any car with an automatic transmission is going to change my mind

And, if I had that kind of money and wanted a 2 seat car, there are other things I'd go for.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Exactly my thoughts on the topic (lately). A nice, rumbly exhaust and some classy aftermarket wheels with summer tires on a car like the G80 5.0, or the Q70 with the V8... that sounds damn appealing to me. Luxurious, spacious comfort, straightline power to dig hard into the on-ramps, and some performance rubber for a little extra grip.
I had an 09 Genesis sedan, only the V6 though. Unfortunately it was a complete lemon, but that lemon ruined me forever when it comes to interiors. It was such a comfortable car to drive around in and spend time in. I think you'd really enjoy looking at a big car with a V8, It's a bit crazy but you could even look Lexus LS.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

If you're going to consider the Genesis route, don't forget the 3.3T. It make's pretty impressive results with a JB4--piggyback tuner for those not familiar with Burger Motorsports.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...ia-stinger-jb4

A Stinger with the same 3.3T put down 382 hp and 473 lb-ft of torque with just a tune.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

So, no large purchases for the next 6-9 months. Then, we'll see. I still would love a camaro ss 1le (maybe one a year old). That would give me all the performance fix I need.
The SS 1LE is a performance bargain new, and even better on the used market. Most GM performance cars are due to the depreciation- just look at the ATS-V or 14+ Corvette. Or if you can wait long enough- the 2020 Vette once it hits the used car market.

The Camaro looks great on paper, but I need to drive one again to be sure I would consider it. The last time I sat in one I just couldn't shake the feeling that the cabin felt so small compared to how big the car was. In comparison, I was always surprised by how well the GT-R wrapped around me and felt like a smaller car once I got inside it. I am not sure how that was possible- maybe the fact that the performance of a GT-R is a game changer.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I had that feeling too last time I drove (2017). Once you're actually moving, it's not that terrible. If/when I'm really ready, i'll take a used one for a longer test drive to see if I can deal with the interior.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I had that feeling too last time I drove (2017). Once you're actually moving, it's not that terrible. If/when I'm really ready, i'll take a used one for a longer test drive to see if I can deal with the interior.
Everyone bitches about the visibility in that car, but I don't remember it being too awful. Do you remember the visibility being tolerable or terrible?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I would honestly say tolerable. At the end of the test drive I wasn't too offput by it. The car definitely _requires_ the backup camera and blindspot monitoring. If/when I own one, I fully intend to install those 2" wide angle stick on mirrors on each side. The G while having great rearward visibility was still a bit of a challenge to backup in the MT model. Hard to look back and modulate clutch/throttle at the same time.

I suggest you test drive one to make your own opinion.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Bone stock Supra with tune and fuel

The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I would honestly say tolerable. At the end of the test drive I wasn't too offput by it. The car definitely _requires_ the backup camera and blindspot monitoring. If/when I own one, I fully intend to install those 2" wide angle stick on mirrors on each side. The G while having great rearward visibility was still a bit of a challenge to backup in the MT model. Hard to look back and modulate clutch/throttle at the same time.

I suggest you test drive one to make your own opinion.
If it is tolerable I would probably be ok in the Camaro as far as visibility.

If you get an SS 1LE you should skip the cheater blind spot mirrors. One of the first things I learned in racing was how to properly set your side mirrors so you don't have a blind spot. Back the car into a parking spot about 1/2 way with cars in each blind spot. Set your side mirrors out so that you see about half of each car in the side view mirrors and the other half in the rear view mirror on the windshield. You will no longer have a blind spot. Blind spot monitoring came out because 99% of the population sets their side view mirrors so they see the side of their car. But that actually creates the blind spot because you see the exact same thing in the side mirror as you do the mirror on the windshield so you might as well rip the rear view mirror right off your windshield.

Your G has a back up camera, right?
Old 08-10-2019, 12:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I set the side view mirrors to see just the door handles. Rearview mirror? What's that. I rarely if ever look at it. Learned to drive on a full size conversion van with curtains blocking the rear windows. The rearview mirror might as well not have even existed. I'll play around with the mirrors in the current car to see if it helps any. With those wide angle mirrors I can see at a glance if there's something there or not.

The G had a back up camera yes.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I set the side view mirrors to see just the door handles. Rearview mirror? What's that. I rarely if ever look at it. Learned to drive on a full size conversion van with curtains blocking the rear windows. The rearview mirror might as well not have even existed. I'll play around with the mirrors in the current car to see if it helps any. With those wide angle mirrors I can see at a glance if there's something there or not.

The G had a back up camera yes.
Try it- it works. Definitely easier to adjust your mirrors out and use them like they were designed then go out and buy more mirrors that block the width of the factory mirrrors.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Try making sure your center mount mirror is as high up towards the headliner as it can go - the perspective is better looking slightly down. Then spot the mirrors out with a friend so there is only a tiny overlap.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?