G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
That long string of buttons is so ridiculous that when I first saw a picture of it I thought somebody had photoshopped them on there as a joke. Of course it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for the car overall, but seriously, that's an ergonomic mess. They actually have a bunch of little bumps and recesses to help you feel around for the button you want.
The following users liked this post:
Atowsley (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Looks like there might be another bike in your future though
Stopped by the local euro bike store this morning. Looked at a few ktm's and triumph's. Crazy how the safety tech has trickled down - LED headlamps, abs, lean angle, yaw sensors, active suspension. Of course you pay a pretty penny for it. Oh so tempting but yet so impulsive. Sales man suggested there's at least a good 2-3 months riding left...

Sticky rubber on the honda doesn't fix much. It's still a honda. Needs another 100+ hp, more controlled suspension, stiffer sway bars. Car is great on the highway, but twisty backroads is another story. Keep reminding myself... it's a transportation appliance. Gas mileage is its saving grace. Can't be 35-40 mph on the highway.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Stopped by the local euro bike store this morning. Looked at a few ktm's and triumph's. Crazy how the safety tech has trickled down - LED headlamps, abs, lean angle, yaw sensors, active suspension. Of course you pay a pretty penny for it. Oh so tempting but yet so impulsive. Sales man suggested there's at least a good 2-3 months riding left...
This is probably the last group of people to help you resist an vehicular impulse purchase lol

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Sticky rubber on the honda doesn't fix much. It's still a honda. Needs another 100+ hp, more controlled suspension, stiffer sway bars. Car is great on the highway, but twisty backroads is another story. Keep reminding myself... it's a transportation appliance. Gas mileage is its saving grace. Can't be 35-40 mph on the highway.
FWIW, I believe the TLX sway-bar is a direct bolt on. And the 235/40/19s on the Sport/Touring models would probably help. But who mod's an Accord, right?
Old 08-04-2019, 10:59 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Maybe we should have opted for the 6 banger at the time. That comes with a real transmission and the other '100 ponies'. Still, without significant mods it's no corner carver.

I'm in a weird place these last few weeks/months. Lots of ideas, but just as much uncertainty. It's very tempting to get a bike, for sure. But to really enjoy it, I need to ride hours in any direction (usually NW). This involves dealing with all the incompetent drivers along the way (have a good video on this coming up - what _not_ to do do on a highway interchange ramp (exiting one highway, getting onto another)). Lots of energy involved. Not sure I want to deal with all that again.

However, if this does happen, I might as well add a few $K and get the bike I really wanted 8 years ago, the bmw k1600GT. Now that's an continental cruiser. And puts me back into a 6 cyl (inline). https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/tour/k1600gt.html

EDIT:

Got a few quotes on insurance. The bmw will be under $500 a year to insure, the KTM under $400. That's for full coverage with $500 deductibles on col/comp. Impressive!

Last edited by JSolo; 08-04-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I got to see the 2020 Corvette up close yesterday at Road America. The headlights look very similar to a Ferrari 360 Modena, the hood is very low, the fender intakes look huge, and the fit an finish is nice. I think they are definitely trying to go after some European cars as far as refinement. The performance to dollar ratio should be unbeatable as well. I was not fond of the back end or the color choice on the exterior or interior, but at least there other color options.

The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
There's been quite a few cars released over the past three years that I was considering as a possible pick up in 2021-2022. I've compiled a list and can I say like all of them. This though..this is something I'd want to have. The interior looks awesome compared to past Chevy products (call me crazy, I like the button layout) and the exterior is a head turner. Price for the performance goes without saying...

Trying to convince my brother to pick one up so I can live vicariously through him.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:34 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
That color combo is full old person spec but the new Corvette is amazing looking and absolutely has the best price / performance.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I'll say the new C8 is the first corvette I can see myself seriously considering at some point. And it's not a BMW hiding inside a Toyota. Maybe someday I'll regret that, but I owned a BMW before and don't want to repeat that experience. I realize GM isn't exactly known for reliability either.

Last edited by Atowsley; 08-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
All season tires are standard
Old 08-05-2019, 10:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Here we go... This would make for a wonderful next car.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9QpcqzSns
Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
I'll say the new C8 is the first corvette I can see myself seriously considering at some point. And it's not a BMW hiding inside a Toyota. Maybe someday I'll regret that, but I owned a BMW before and don't want to repeat that experience. I realize GM isn't exactly known for reliability either.
For everything that isn't a pushrod V8; let alone their pride and joy - yes.

I expect there to be some growing pains with this being the first production year though.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:00 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
Delayed response.... I drove a coupe. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily, but I do think the sedan looks better. I do recall how quiet my G was - I didn't even go super loud with it. Just high-flow filter, post-MAF tubes, RHFC's, and an Invidia Q300 catback. I didn't have any drone and the car sounded great. I won't hold that against a car too much. Not to rub salt in a wound, but a week before I hit the deer I had stopped off at the same lot just to peek at a black 2016 ATS-V sedan 6mt that they were having trouble getting rid of. Practically giving it away for $36k at fairly low miles, I think. If that popped up again, I'd probably grab it. I still think my wife will hate driving a manual and not bother ever getting comfortable with it, but she's decided she would like to learn and has given me the green light to buy one. I won't let it be a deciding factor for me, though. Just a preference.

By way of update, they have taken my G away and we're a one-car household. I have utterly failed at finding an M240i, 340i RWD, or 440i RWD to test drive near me, new or used. (I'd prefer RWD for any of them, but with the M240i you get the real M Sport suspension and brakes, where as with the 3 or 4 the AWD cars always get the standard marshmallow setup so the "M Sport" package is really just the steering wheel and limiter increase) BMW option packages are a maddening labyrinth, btw. I did find a 2018 M240i with 8000 miles on it in Columbus that looked nice - Black paint, black wheels, black trim, Estoril Blue calipers, Black SensaTec interior, nav, cold weather package. It was priced at $39k which is more than I'm supposed to be spending but I thought maybe there was a hefty markup I could eat into. It took me three days to get down to see it, and it had already sold to somebody out of state, sight unseen. They couldn't let me drive it, but they did let my wife and I get in and see how it fit, which was a legitimate concern for me. I found it fairly comfortable, if not flush with elbow room. Easy to find a good driving position, and the seats aren't all that confining but I was fairly locked in between the door and console without any discomfort. My wife actually pretty well fell in love with it. (this is her way with cars) Alas, still no drive. Another just popped up at the same dealer today and the salesman gave me a call. It's not there yet, but I'm going to try to go drive it as soon as the truck drops it off on Monday.

Also, I've been learning about CPO programs, and some of these "prestige" brands have pretty great ones. BMW's isn't the absolute best ($50 deductible on work after the original warranty - $200 to transfer) but it does extend the OEM warranty (4/50) by an extra year at UNLIMITED MILES. The way they talked about it at the dealership made it sound like that essentially gives them a 5yr, unlimited miles warranty. I need to figure out how this works. That Unlimited year could start as soon as the original warranty runs out, but if it ran out due to miles, how would they know? If I have a VANOS failure at 4.5yrs and 150k miles, is that covered? Their fine print says no wear & tear like suspension, brakes, tires, etc., which I expected. If anybody has experience with one of these, please chime in. Obviously how smooth such things go always depends on the dealer... Such a program would have fairly significant value to me over buying from an indy lot or private party or whatever. I drive around 33k miles per year, so a 5yr loan on a bmw becomes concerning given their reputation. (which my research suggests is actually a lot better these days - sort of middle of the pack, really)
Years ago I had a BMW M3 that I purchased with a CPO warranty and I can tell you that the extended warranty starts after the originally manufacturer's warranty expires whether it happen due to mileage or date first. The warranty date does start from the original sale date of the vehicle, and not necessarily by the model year, so keep that in mind as well. All that said, I will never buy another BMW again, It was absolutely the least reliable car I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot). Loved the way it drove, but unfortunately I didn't get to drive it all that much since it was actually at the dealer more than I had it. Thankfully I I did my research and knew there would be problems, so I took the advice from many members on a couple different BMW forums and purchased the car with the certified pre-owned warranty otherwise it could have been even worse. So I'll give you the same advice here, if you decide to buy a BMW (and I highly advise against it) then I would most definitely buy one that is CPO.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Anyone ever drive the G80 with the 5.0L V8? I'd love to check that out. Big, powerful, upscale luxo-boat, I'm guessing.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Years ago I had a BMW M3 that I purchased with a CPO warranty and I can tell you that the extended warranty starts after the originally manufacturer's warranty expires whether it happen due to mileage or date first. The warranty date does start from the original sale date of the vehicle, and not necessarily by the model year, so keep that in mind as well. All that said, I will never buy another BMW again, It was absolutely the least reliable car I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot). Loved the way it drove, but unfortunately I didn't get to drive it all that much since it was actually at the dealer more than I had it. Thankfully I I did my research and knew there would be problems, so I took the advice from many members on a couple different BMW forums and purchased the car with the certified pre-owned warranty otherwise it could have been even worse. So I'll give you the same advice here, if you decide to buy a BMW (and I highly advise against it) then I would most definitely buy one that is CPO.
Nealy the exact same experience with the BMW I owned. Biggest bucket of bolts I've ever owned.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
Nealy the exact same experience with the BMW I owned. Biggest bucket of bolts I've ever owned.
True garbage from '07 onwards. I grew up on the BMW greats and have hated every single move they've made since 2000.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?