G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Follow up to the series of posts from last week. The replacement vehicle is a '15 honda accord.
Does that mean you sold your G?
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Yes. It was a tough choice but things aligned in a way that made sense (barely). I still have mixed feelings about doing so but for once, sensibility prevailed. During tonight's exercise session, another crazy thought entered my mind.... The ktm super duke gt...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4249384
Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I'm anticipating Toyota having difficulties moving the Supra with the unveiling of the C8; especially at $57k+. Anticipating these dropping in price in order to move them.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I'm anticipating Toyota having difficulties moving the Supra with the unveiling of the C8; especially at $57k+. Anticipating these dropping in price in order to move them.
I agree. More to the point, there's nothing about the new Supra that speaks to me. Not one thing. (Wait, no, I like the trunk emblem. That's cool.)

For that money and that brand, you could buy a Sienna and a Toyota 86 both.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-27-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
$57k is for the launch edition version. The regular models should be about $52k.

I don't think it's terrible for a car that makes nearly 400 wheel horse power. I got to drive it and it was fun.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Yes. It was a tough choice but things aligned in a way that made sense (barely). I still have mixed feelings about doing so but for once, sensibility prevailed. During tonight's exercise session, another crazy thought entered my mind.... The ktm super duke gt...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4249384
I wasn't expecting you to sell the G and keep the Accord

Understand though, I'm a big Accord fan, my wife has a '17 Touring (last of the V6 generation). It's dead nuts reliable, more than adequately powerful, easily gets 29-30 mpg in mix used driving, and can swallow a family of 4s crap with room to spare for a week long vacation.

Looks like there might be another bike in your future though
Old 07-27-2019, 11:11 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That nosecone front end is still hideous, but the back looks pretty nice. What is added to the launch edition to make it cost $5k more than the regular Supra?

Originally Posted by qmantran

Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I really like the back end of it. The front not so much
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Maybe I missed it- did you drive a coupe or a sedan? I agree with you on wanting a sedan over a coupe. For some reason the styling just looks better (and I also need the practicality). I also thought the Recaro seats were great. I am sure they are heavy, but they feel good and have lots of adjustment. I probably have the opposite fitment problem as you with wanting to be held snugly in place for track days. So the fact they fit both of us well is extremely rare.

It is difficult to tell how fast you are going in that car because the power delivery is smooth and the car is quiet since it is stock. The exhaust is quiet on that car compared to your modified G. Remember how quiet your G was when it was stock? There are a number of exhaust options for the ATS-V and a lot of guys just remove the mufflers and it sounds pretty good. You can also get 600 HP out of that car with just a tune. The 6spd. manual was pretty rewarding to drive so I can imagine not liking the A/T- even if it is faster.

I also thought the suspension was amazing. I pushed the one I drove in the corners and was amazed at the handling, steering, chassis, etc, but I was even more impressed with how smooth the ride was. I have been in A LOT of cars and I cannot think of one that could handle like that and still be super comfortable on bumpy roads.

6spd. sedans are really tough to find and there are a lot of options packages on this car so if you are particular like me- good luck. In the last two years I have been trying to find a bright red or black 6spd. sedan with the carbon package, red calipers, polished wheels, lux package for the flip down rear seat, safety & security package for the heads up display, Recaro seats, Performance Data Recorder, and Microfiber steering wheel and shifter. I found one and it had twice the mileage I wanted. Didn't matter, it sold in a matter of minutes. The toughest part is finding one with the Performance Data Recorder. You will be very hard pressed to find a 6spd. sedan under $40k, but I have seen a few with no options in that range with 40-60k miles. Getting an A/T or a coupe will dramatically increase your odds by about 10 times.
Delayed response.... I drove a coupe. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily, but I do think the sedan looks better. I do recall how quiet my G was - I didn't even go super loud with it. Just high-flow filter, post-MAF tubes, RHFC's, and an Invidia Q300 catback. I didn't have any drone and the car sounded great. I won't hold that against a car too much. Not to rub salt in a wound, but a week before I hit the deer I had stopped off at the same lot just to peek at a black 2016 ATS-V sedan 6mt that they were having trouble getting rid of. Practically giving it away for $36k at fairly low miles, I think. If that popped up again, I'd probably grab it. I still think my wife will hate driving a manual and not bother ever getting comfortable with it, but she's decided she would like to learn and has given me the green light to buy one. I won't let it be a deciding factor for me, though. Just a preference.

By way of update, they have taken my G away and we're a one-car household. I have utterly failed at finding an M240i, 340i RWD, or 440i RWD to test drive near me, new or used. (I'd prefer RWD for any of them, but with the M240i you get the real M Sport suspension and brakes, where as with the 3 or 4 the AWD cars always get the standard marshmallow setup so the "M Sport" package is really just the steering wheel and limiter increase) BMW option packages are a maddening labyrinth, btw. I did find a 2018 M240i with 8000 miles on it in Columbus that looked nice - Black paint, black wheels, black trim, Estoril Blue calipers, Black SensaTec interior, nav, cold weather package. It was priced at $39k which is more than I'm supposed to be spending but I thought maybe there was a hefty markup I could eat into. It took me three days to get down to see it, and it had already sold to somebody out of state, sight unseen. They couldn't let me drive it, but they did let my wife and I get in and see how it fit, which was a legitimate concern for me. I found it fairly comfortable, if not flush with elbow room. Easy to find a good driving position, and the seats aren't all that confining but I was fairly locked in between the door and console without any discomfort. My wife actually pretty well fell in love with it. (this is her way with cars) Alas, still no drive. Another just popped up at the same dealer today and the salesman gave me a call. It's not there yet, but I'm going to try to go drive it as soon as the truck drops it off on Monday.

Also, I've been learning about CPO programs, and some of these "prestige" brands have pretty great ones. BMW's isn't the absolute best ($50 deductible on work after the original warranty - $200 to transfer) but it does extend the OEM warranty (4/50) by an extra year at UNLIMITED MILES. The way they talked about it at the dealership made it sound like that essentially gives them a 5yr, unlimited miles warranty. I need to figure out how this works. That Unlimited year could start as soon as the original warranty runs out, but if it ran out due to miles, how would they know? If I have a VANOS failure at 4.5yrs and 150k miles, is that covered? Their fine print says no wear & tear like suspension, brakes, tires, etc., which I expected. If anybody has experience with one of these, please chime in. Obviously how smooth such things go always depends on the dealer... Such a program would have fairly significant value to me over buying from an indy lot or private party or whatever. I drive around 33k miles per year, so a 5yr loan on a bmw becomes concerning given their reputation. (which my research suggests is actually a lot better these days - sort of middle of the pack, really)
Old 07-27-2019, 03:30 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That nosecone front end is still hideous, but the back looks pretty nice. What is added to the launch edition to make it cost $5k more than the regular Supra?
Scarcity and bragging rights. It's a color package, essentially.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:30 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
MK5, no thanks. No Toyota motor, no 6 speed, and it's kinda looking stock. Yeah I like what the race teams are doing with them (2JZ's, widebody's), but I don't have that kind of money. Price is too high too IMO. Look at the Q50/60 red sports.... cheaper and they come with nice calipers on the back too lol.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:37 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Even at $52k, I'm not sure there's enough there to make me want one. No doubt they are a blast to drive but considering what else is out there that's in that monetary range is what makes it a hard sell. There's even options that are $15-20k less than the Supra that would match the power levels with some basic bolt-ons.

In my opinion, the most appealing thing about them is Toyota's claim to fame = reliability. A BMW powertrain was a bit of a risk on their part, despite the potential of them. There's no telling what could cause a dealer to deny a warranty claim if any power mods are added so unless you are contempt with keeping it stock I don't really think the risk outweighs the reward in this scenario.

A lightly used Coyote Mustang with a VMP blower attached to it would decimate that car at a fraction of the cost with no actual risk of breaking anything.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Here's a close-up of the new Vette's button bar, filled with fancy tech like heated seats, air vent options, and a rear window defogger.

Wow!

The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (08-06-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Who needs cell phones for distracting driving when they have all those buttons!!

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?