G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@Rochester

I'd be partial to the panthera metal (dark grey, gunmetal?)

https://jeffwylerfairfield.com/new/K...972d543830.htm

Had a red camaro, no more red cars. Gray/silver is too bright. The micro pearl blue isn't bad but seems too flashy. Black/white is off the table too.

https://stingerforum.org/gallery/pho...cro-blue.1002/
Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Gunmetal is nice, and the trim is less offensive with that color.

I've had a lot of red cars, too. Wouldn't mind another.

Boom!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I still think you'd come out ahead on taxes.

Looks like IL is 7.25% on cars.

40,000 x 7.25% = $2900

40,000 - 13,000 (trade) x 7.25% = $1958

You would have to net 14,000ish to break even on selling it yourself.

For perspective, I got offered 11.5, and they eventually came up to 12.5 and I sold privately for 16. I could have probably gotten closer to 18 were it not for bald PSS and a crack in the drivers line of sight in the windshield. You should be able to net that with that low mileage. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
Update: Drove an ATS-V today. It was out of my price range but a pretty aggressive deal as it was a 2018 with less than 2k miles on the clock priced at 46k. Also, when I told the manager it was out of my price range and I was probably looking for more like a 2016 that had seen some miles and that I wasn't super into the color (an orangish red with a lot of metal fleck in the paint) he suggested he had "bought the car pretty right" and might be able to "make me a fan of red." I'm guessing that means that they could get real close to the $40k mark I said was my upper bound. Still probably too far out of the sweet spot, but it tells me a bit about what the auction prices are on these things and how much mark-up there is in the prices I'm seeing on them. I also know that car has been on the lot for over a month, so when he used the term "smokin' deal" he probably meant it.

Anyhow, I'm not the sort to fall in love with a car and make up my mind on the spot, especially when it's above my preferred price point, but I definitely liked the car. I've sat in a 2016 before, and the 2018 models had an update to the much-maligned CUE system. It's an improvement. I'd still much prefer some buttons and *****, but I came away from the experience feeling like I could live with it just fine. Ink has been spilled about the mishmash of interior materials, and it's true but it didn't bother me. There were enough high quality materials that the overall impression is pretty decent. It's not quite as ergonomically just right as the 440 I drove, but it was ok, and the star of the show in this car is something else anyway. It had the optional Recaro seats which were surprisingly comfortable (did I mention I'm a fairly big person?) and it was easy to get into a good position for driving, with the relatively thick, small steering wheel feeling nice in the hands.

The exhaust on start-up was wholly uninspiring but not offensive. I don't know if aftermarket exhaust would improve it significantly, but I do know my G sounds a lot better since I replaced the exhaust, cats, filters, and intake tubes. I came to understand what some reviewers were talking about when they complained about the engine. It pulls hard with no lag, but it never tells you all that much, and mostly makes a buzzy sound as you get higher in the tach. And there's no feeling of building as you rev higher. It's kind of a constant wall of torque. Just not a lot of character. There were some small humps and bumps in the power band, but I'm not sure if maybe the traction control was kicking in. But it sure is fast - 60mph comes in a blink and speeds I was surprised the salesman riding with me approved of came pretty soon after that. I felt at all times like I was driving a fast car, unlike the 440ix without the M suspension and steering bits. I could see cruising at triple digits like it was nothing, with the effortless power and the incredibly effective magnetic suspension. Super smooth even in sport mode, but with no body roll or sway ever. And the steering was magnificent. The chassis and handling is the star of the show, and the GM engineers deserve some serious kudos. In touring mode it feels like they just put some play in the steering right on center. Maybe a little less touchy, but not confidence inspiring. In Sport mode it was perfect. Precise, fast, communicative, and just the right weight, for me anyway. Race mode was real twitchy and would take some practice, so I noped back to sport mode after a few seconds. Took a little loop on a back road and it was a joy to take through the turns. I will say it didn't quite give the same impression of mechanical connectedness as my G, but I'm so familiar with the latter that it's probably less the machine and more the mind. And the distant nature of what was happening under the hood probably contributed as well.

I'm still skeptical that an ATS-V will fall into my price range, but I REALLY enjoyed driving it despite its well-chronicled shortcomings.
Maybe I missed it- did you drive a coupe or a sedan? I agree with you on wanting a sedan over a coupe. For some reason the styling just looks better (and I also need the practicality). I also thought the Recaro seats were great. I am sure they are heavy, but they feel good and have lots of adjustment. I probably have the opposite fitment problem as you with wanting to be held snugly in place for track days. So the fact they fit both of us well is extremely rare.

It is difficult to tell how fast you are going in that car because the power delivery is smooth and the car is quiet since it is stock. The exhaust is quiet on that car compared to your modified G. Remember how quiet your G was when it was stock? There are a number of exhaust options for the ATS-V and a lot of guys just remove the mufflers and it sounds pretty good. You can also get 600 HP out of that car with just a tune. The 6spd. manual was pretty rewarding to drive so I can imagine not liking the A/T- even if it is faster.

I also thought the suspension was amazing. I pushed the one I drove in the corners and was amazed at the handling, steering, chassis, etc, but I was even more impressed with how smooth the ride was. I have been in A LOT of cars and I cannot think of one that could handle like that and still be super comfortable on bumpy roads.

6spd. sedans are really tough to find and there are a lot of options packages on this car so if you are particular like me- good luck. In the last two years I have been trying to find a bright red or black 6spd. sedan with the carbon package, red calipers, polished wheels, lux package for the flip down rear seat, safety & security package for the heads up display, Recaro seats, Performance Data Recorder, and Microfiber steering wheel and shifter. I found one and it had twice the mileage I wanted. Didn't matter, it sold in a matter of minutes. The toughest part is finding one with the Performance Data Recorder. You will be very hard pressed to find a 6spd. sedan under $40k, but I have seen a few with no options in that range with 40-60k miles. Getting an A/T or a coupe will dramatically increase your odds by about 10 times.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
We're at a bit of crossroads here. Dad passed away a few months ago leaving behind a 2015 honda accord exl (~16K miles). My '12 G (37S 6MT) has about 36K miles on it. Only one driver in the household. It makes little sense to have 2 cars - insurance, registration, maintenance, etc. We're tossing the idea of selling (trading?) in both to get something else. Adding a bit of cash to the pot is a possibility too.

Question is what. I want something with the handling and power of the G. Although I'm a car person, I'm open to a crossover of some sort, even something with an automatic trans .
Sorry to hear about your dad. That's definitely not fun. But on the flip side now you get to have fun looking for a new car. Check out kbb good condition for your cars' trade-in values so your jaw does not hit the floor at the dealership in case you didn't realize how little G sedans are worth- even with all of our cool mods. You can always try to sell your cars on your own if you have the time and patience. Try to find humor in the barrage of stupid questions you will get. But you are smart to consider the tax savings on the new car if you trade them in instead.

Have you narrowed it down to the Kia or are you considering other cars? I am surprised you are not considering AWD. You must be looking at just new Kias as the AWD is very recent. If that is the case, your local dealer should be able to trade for a RWD from a dealer south of them. Areas with no snow usually means lots of RWD cars. The used car market should be full of RWD Stingers since they just started making them AWD. I bet they are cheap too. Kias don't typically hold their value very well.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Fun? That's a matter of perspective. It would be more fun if there were actual vehicles that I was interested in.

I got to drive the kia on a reasonably good test drive (at least 30-40 minutes inc. interstate). Off the line in comfort mode, there is some lag. Sport mode makes throttle response sharper. Rear window visibility is about as good as it is in the current camaro - ie useless. Might as well have a sold panel back there.

Handling was decent for the few corners I got to hit but did bring up another oddity. The steering felt artificial. If I was strongly considering this car I'd need to drive it some more to make sure I could live with the steering. Our honda has electric power steering but feels like it offers more feedback. Rear trunk space was decent but rear passenger volume was marginally better than the G. I use the term marginally loosely. I thought being a larger car than the optima, rear seat space would be plentiful. Driveshaft hump takes up significant volume. More so than the G i'd say. That itself might be the deal breaker for this car.

Mom likes her space and openness in the back which this car doesn't have. This car might have been a consideration back when I was shopping the G. Now, I need a vehicle that morphs the best traits of both the accord and the G.

Infotainment console stack is odd. It's got the display that protrudes from the dash with lots of wasted space used by the air vents.

Brings me to the next issue, no RWD models anywhere near, so trade or special order. Not sure how the pricing will work for a special order when figuring in two trades. Also, would likely have to be a MY 20.

On the bright side, after disabling the nannies, the car did track relatively well in a straight line. The wheel was slightly off center. With the nanny's enabled, it will actually correct quite a bit when following highway lines, even around a curve... Scary!

So, I may look at some acura or honda models, but the more effort i put into this, the more i'm convinced I should just keep what we have.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That sure doesn't read like an endorsement. It reads like a long list of compromises.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:35 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Ha! If we're going to go through this exercise, there must be practically no compromises, otherwise it's not worth it. I'd say it's 1/3 of the full package. The only endorsement is it's 95% _not_ the car to replace the existing cars.

How picky we get with each subsequent car purchase.....
Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

If you haven't thought about it already, it's been discussed here for sure, but... you would really love a low-mileage Chevy SS. All kinds of interior room, a massive trunk, every luxury feature imaginable, crazy good handling for a 2-ton boat, a proper 6MT and a stupidly strong power train. In a car that calls zero attention to itself. Seriously, total stealth fighter.

And then you get Australian bragging rights, which mean nothing but is still pretty cool.
The following users liked this post:
JSolo (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Now that's an idea! It does handle a bit more boat like, but that's to be expected I suppose.

I'm even open to the idea of an AT!.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you haven't thought about it already, it's been discussed here for sure, but... you would really love a low-mileage Chevy SS. All kinds of interior room, a massive trunk, every luxury feature imaginable, crazy good handling for a 2-ton boat, a proper 6MT and a stupidly strong power train. In a car that calls zero attention to itself. Seriously, total stealth fighter.

And then you get Australian bragging rights, which mean nothing but is still pretty cool.
+1 on the SS, I would have mentioned that, but he commented on fuel efficiency, which the SS clearly isn't. I'd have been driving an SS but I couldn't stomach 10-11 mpg.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Ugh... teens in the city. About as good as a truck ... Maybe there's a sign in all of this... Keep both cars and call it a day.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well, yes... there is no cylinder deactivation, and no start/stop tech. Just a gas-sucking V8 all the time. Noticeably worse mileage than your G, most likely. And for handling, GM's magnetic ride shocks are excellent. You can certainly feel the weight, yet the car handles way better than you would expect.

Great car for a very narrow slice of car enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Fun? That's a matter of perspective. It would be more fun if there were actual vehicles that I was interested in.
That is true. This thread shows the miscellaneous ramblings that go on in my head on a day to day basis as I constantly compare cars. Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I really enjoying looking at and trying out cars. However, this is also how I ended up with the G37 and it has been a great car for me for the last (nearly) 4 years.

Originally Posted by Rochester
That sure doesn't read like an endorsement. It reads like a long list of compromises.
I agree. Jsolo, if you want more rear seat room and practicality (and I would argue much better styling), have you checked out the Genesis G80 Sport that gave its engine and most other parts to create the Stinger? I have yet to put it through its paces, but I hear great things about this car.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I'm about 95% ready to throw in the towel. I can't find anything really appealing within the budget allocated (both cars + some cash). Test drove an rdx today which was ok. Can't wrap my head around toggle switches for the gear shift. Something seriously wrong with that. Power was decent but handling eh. Steering felt more natural than the stinger's. There's a local '17 chevy ss with ~1300 miles. Tempting, but can't accept the 14/22 mpg.

G's winter wheels/tires hole pattern fits the accord. Just need to get different hub rings and lug nuts. That takes care of winter driving. G can just sit in the garage with the summer wheels/tires installed. Might have to get something like this to prevet flat spots.
Amazon Amazon

Re the G80... a bit too heavy. Curb weight around 4600lb.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?