G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:59 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I guess I would say your hands are very connected, (in sport or race mode) but your right foot isn't. I suspect driving the manual could help quite a bit with that. One of GM's NA V8's would have made it spectacular instead of really good. I neglected to mention above that there is, in fact SOME information transmitted to your butt when you cross ridges in the road and things like that felt clearly as the rear end wiggled a little, but I'm used to a pretty firm ride in my G on swift springs and really knowing exactly what is under me so I wasn't sure what to make of it. That's kind of what I meant by mind vs. machine. I think with more seat time I could have been better at interpreting that information and the overall sensation of connectedness would improve. But you're right that you don't feel (or hear) the speed all that much and the road surface always feels freshly paved, lol. You have to get some lateral g-forces going in order to really enjoy the car.

Last edited by woofersus; 07-14-2019 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
That would be a smoking deal if If they were willing to do 40K for a '18 ATS-V with <2K
Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah it definitely would. I don't know if that's where he was headed for sure or not, but I think that car is getting near the 60 day mark and he really wants to get it off the lot at this point.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
We're at a bit of crossroads here. Dad passed away a few months ago leaving behind a 2015 honda accord exl (~16K miles). My '12 G (37S 6MT) has about 36K miles on it. Only one driver in the household. It makes little sense to have 2 cars - insurance, registration, maintenance, etc. We're tossing the idea of selling (trading?) in both to get something else. Adding a bit of cash to the pot is a possibility too.

Question is what. I want something with the handling and power of the G. Although I'm a car person, I'm open to a crossover of some sort, even something with an automatic trans .
Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
^^^
Mazda has started offering a 2.0T in their CX5. Good looking mid-sized SUV, fun to drive (in its class), and now with actual grunt.

The Volvo XC60 is a classy family car that I bet would feel rewarding to own.

Ford just recently redesigned their Escape into a fine looking car. Get the top-end model, with every bell & whistle known to man, and a strong little turbo.

Go test-drive the Alpha Romeo Stelvio. Beautiful Italian take on the American SUV, and totally unique.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Recent motortrend (or was it car/driver) had a failure review for their 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Spent 80 days in the shop over the course of a year.

Maybe an rdx... So many choices these days, get a headache thinking about it.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I think Alfa has a reputation for irrational ownership.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I swore I'd never look or consider another kia or hyundai, but the stinger has caught my attention. Sadly there's no rwd model any where near here so will probably have to order it if the car appeals to me at all in person.

Wonder how that's going to work with 2 trade ins.... Stay tuned
Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Recent motortrend (or was it car/driver) had a failure review for their 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Spent 80 days in the shop over the course of a year.

Maybe an rdx... So many choices these days, get a headache thinking about it.
I saw that. 9 unscheduled trips to the dealer and 80 days out of service. Living up to that Alfa reputation lol.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I swore I'd never look or consider another kia or hyundai, but the stinger has caught my attention. Sadly there's no rwd model any where near here so will probably have to order it if the car appeals to me at all in person.

Wonder how that's going to work with 2 trade ins.... Stay tuned
I was going to say Stinger and it's cousin the G70. The A5 Sportback is worth a look too.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

There's a local kia dealership, maybe 10 min away. We'll see how conducive they are to a real test drive (highway, some curvy roads, etc.). Reading more reviews it sounds like a reasonable car. Perhaps somewhat similar to the G in terms of handling, but a bit more space and power. What I'm not sold on is the gas mileage, it's same or poorer than the G. Honda does reasonably well around town at ~24, upwards of mid/upper 30's on the highway.

The other is lack of a rwd model locally. I'm dead set on NOT getting an awd car. I rather deal with winter tires twice a year than pay the $2000+ premium for a transfer case and front diff.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The two issues I've read of with the Stinger:
  1. Certain paint/colors go bad. Require a re-paint
  2. Dealing with a Kia/Hyundai dealership is a nightmare 9/10 times.
The car itself is pretty solid; especially now that the prices have started coming back down to Earth on used models. I've heard a lot of horror stories surrounding Hyundai/Kia dealerships when looking at Stingers or Genesis cars.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Originally Posted by RMB5190
The two issues I've read of with the Stinger:
  1. Certain paint/colors go bad. Require a re-paint
  2. Dealing with a Kia/Hyundai dealership is a nightmare 9/10 times.
The car itself is pretty solid; especially now that the prices have started coming back down to Earth on used models. I've heard a lot of horror stories surrounding Hyundai/Kia dealerships when looking at Stingers or Genesis cars.
I owed a kia optima s[u]x back in 2011 for 2 months before getting the G. It was in the shop at least half a dozen times if not more for for tracking issues. Damn thin just wouldn't drive straight. I finally gave up on it. Most shops were reasonable to deal with in the suburbs. The issue was a flawed design (in the sonota too). Even today, the last sonata I test drove (recently) steering didn't feel right. If I can't get a decent test drive then I'll cross the car off the list.

I'm not in a position where I *need* to get a vehicle right away or at all. There's 2 viable cars that run perfectly well with no mechanical issues (and warranties through 2023). It just doesn't make sense to hold on to two cars with me being the only driver. The honda is great for gas mileage, ok for trunk space, good rear seat room (ma refuses to sit in the front). G is low on space over all (inc back seat) but drives and handles great (being a 6mt is gravy!). Whatever I save in insurance with 1 car will likely go towards higher fuel expenses.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I saw a red Stinger GT this morning stopped at the on-ramp. The back end design is busy, but still really appealing.

That stupid trim on the front fenders, not so much.

Nice wheels. Cool hatch.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Not exactly a glowing long term test:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...g-term-update/

Whatever you do Jsolo, I'd highly recommend selling the G yourself. KBB for example doesn't give any premium for a 6MT Sport (the Journey actually books higher). Since you're not in a hurry, sell it privately. It's a niche car with narrow demand that isn't reflected in 'book' prices. Someone will pay a premium for it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

True. But there's also the tax incentive, so question is which yields the best net amount. I'm fairly confident i'll have no problem selling it as there are very few 6mt sedans available, let alone with such low (36K) mileage.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

I read that article you mentioned (in print actually). While a nuisance, I suppose it's partially to be expected of a newer model. Maybe some bugs were worked out in the 2019 model. If the test drive appeals, this will be a very interesting buying experience .

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?