G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Pretty much this, it's kind of crazy to think both how old this design is, and how far an 'economy' car has advanced in that time.

I agree the RS3 is a hell of a car, but IDK that I'd throw in the towel just yet on finding an ATS-V. Instead, maybe relax the criteria a bit, and I'd also revisit the M3. If in 12-18 months the needle-in-a-haystack ATS-V hasn't showed up......look into a RS3.

There are quite a few RSB options for the Audi/Golf, and they really help dial out under steer. Doug Demuro has a great review of an RS3 that I'd link, but the youtubes is blocked for me.
No worries. I am very far from giving up on the ATS-V. The RS3 is just another very intriguing option that seems much easier to obtain- partly because there are not nearly as many options like the ATS-V.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sounds like the next generation GTI and Golf R could be pretty serious upgrades. Rumors are out already of the GTI producing as much power as the Golf R. That would be cool. There are also rumors of a new Audi RS3 in the works since that car will also see a new platform relatively soon.

https://carbuzz.com/news/get-excited...wagen-golf-gti

Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Sounds like the next generation GTI and Golf R could be pretty serious upgrades. Rumors are out already of the GTI producing as much power as the Golf R. That would be cool. There are also rumors of a new Audi RS3 in the works since that car will also see a new platform relatively soon.

https://carbuzz.com/news/get-excited...wagen-golf-gti
I'm cautiously optimistic for the MK8, but my concern remains--VW won't offer a manual in the R. Audi has eliminated the manual and Porsche sure is moving in the PDK direction. I've heard the GTI has a pretty high take rate for the 6MT, like 40%+, so maybe we'll get lucky.

The interior shots are meh. Looks like they're going the direction of tacking an iPad to the upper dash like on the S3.

My Mk8 wish list:
  • 6MT
  • Aluminum front subframe (taken from the S3/RS3)
  • Aluminum front suspension (ditto)
  • Brembo brakes (taken from the TTS)
  • Euro market Recaro seats and memory seats
  • 30-40 HP bump
I think the MK8 R could be a great option if VW pirated some light weight bits that already exist from the other MQB derived cars. The incremental costs shouldn't be that much.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Lego- Those would all be great upgrades. It looks like the GTI might get a much larger bump in power so hopefully, the Golf R will too. The current Golf R seats are really nice, but Recaros would be sweet. I would vote for keeping the 6MT too, but the last Golf R with DSG that I drove was really good. I was surprised because I do not like A/T. It seems everyone is going to the big ipad on the dash design lately so I wouldn't be surprised to see that too.

Still lots of time for tons of speculation on the new GTI and Golf R. The VW reps keep promising big things which seems out of character, so hopefully they deliver.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If you have some spare time this is a pretty good comparison between the Audi RS3, Camaro SS 1LE, and the BMW M2 Competition- all cars we have discussed on here a few times. I have yet to drive these 3 cars, but I have a feeling that I would probably come to the same conclusion as these guys.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

4DRZ, it feels like you keep looking for advice, sometimes overtly, and sometimes implied. And sometimes it feels like you're just wanting someone to talk you down from an impulsive decision. Blah blah blah, it's not fair to psychoanalyze motivations through a car forum, sorry. Particularly since I'm no expert, and you're just some guy sharing bits & pieces.
Either the forums have trained you well or you have some behavioral experience in your background

Every forum invested car enthusiast does the same thing when they go all in, start aesthetically, suspension, performance parts, engine rebuild, enjoyment, sell. In this case I dont see many rebuilds, VHRs are excellent engines and in comparison tend to be more reliable than most.

I understand why you made this thread, the next steps for you will be big ones and very expensive ones at that and the reality is it wont be as enjoyable as when you first got it.

It is a luxury sedan, 6 speeds, 7 speeds, paddle shifters, big engine, VVL, dual VTC, high comp, comfortable, AWD, RWD, AWS, navigation, back up camera, bi- xenon lights, adaptive cruise, sexy exterior.

The car checks most boxes however it is the driver who eventually gets tired, My recommendation would be a 07 + 335i twin turbo. With Audi you have quite a bit of variances however the 335 power plant has been proven to provide a comfortable 500+whp on stock internals. Exterior doesnt compare to Audis, however audi powerplants can be over engineered and even more expensive. You resources might be limited, unlike the bmw straight which has been proven to work with dirt.

I feel like Infiniti dropped it after this chassis, the Q50 feels like a nice Camry to me, they fixed it with the Q60 however if the 60 had two additional doors it would regain its mojo it created with g37 sedan.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-11-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: quote tag fix
Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
If you have some spare time this is a pretty good comparison between the Audi RS3, Camaro SS 1LE, and the BMW M2 Competition- all cars we have discussed on here a few times. I have yet to drive these 3 cars, but I have a feeling that I would probably come to the same conclusion as these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Xm25XySPs
Fun video. Somewhat like MT's Head-2-Head vids.

Seems like they were emotionally rewarded by the Audi, empowered by the BMW, and have a boner for the Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:53 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while but it suddenly got a bit more relevant as a deer strike has led my insurance company to total my G. I've been slow-walking the process a bit and still driving it (cosmetic damage only, still drives perfectly fine) but the math on the insurance company's offer is pretty clear - time to let the car go. So I'll be in the market about 18 months before I intended. Frustratingly, there's a lot of stuff that's just out of reach and maybe if I had more time could fall a bit as the model year I need would age just a bit. I want something as overtly sporty as my (admittedly modified) G37xS was but faster rather than slower, and I'm not into pony cars, so that leaves me in an entry level luxury-sport market where everything is getting softer.

Considering BMW 3/4 series with the m-sport package (true M's are just too expensive in the age range I'm comfortable with on these cars) post LCI when they improved the handling a bit and because I think the B58 engine is going to be more reliable than past efforts. Would like to drive a Jaguar XE in one of the sportier trims but can't find one within 150 miles. Was eyeing the ATS-V for a while, but while I was seeing them dropping into the 30's for a bit, those all seem to have disappeared now. Of course what I really want is a Jaguar F-Type, but again, seeming just out of reach. I don't dare dream of Cayman S's. I drove a new 440i last week just to try something and it was meh. Fast enough if you really work for it, but it didn't have the m-sport package so it was pretty floaty. I'm hoping to find one with the sporty bits to try without driving 6 hours but I seem to be in a performance option wasteland here in central Ohio. Can't find a Q60RS anywhere nearby either, although the reviews of the steering leave me unexcited.

I see a lot of discussion about fast FWD platforms and I'm a little skeptical. My wife's GTI is a fun change of pace and full of charm, but I definitely feel the difference and wouldn't be satisfied long-term. So hard to put even that much power to the ground if you get aggressive.

Last edited by woofersus; 07-12-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Woofersus do you want a coupe or sedan? What price range are you looking for?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Woofersus do you want a coupe or sedan? What price range are you looking for?
Overall I'm not all that 2dr/4dr specific. I've been driving a sedan, but you could say I'm 2-door curious, lol. Heck, I'd even go 2-seat potentially.

For the current gen BMW's I think the 4-series is sportier looking, so my preference goes 440i gran sport, 440i coupe, then 340i. Perfect setup is probably a 2017 440i gran sport RWD auto with all the m-sport bits and the cold weather package in estoril blue, silver, or black. It will be easier to find the 340i set up like that in my price range though because it got updated in 2016 and is the higher volume car.

I like both versions of the ATS-V. Slight preference to the sedan maybe, but not enough to pass up a killer deal. There aren't a ton of options to worry about on that car I don't think. I like it in silver or black, I think

I'm in a weird place on price range, which is one reason I was going to wait a bit longer. Got a promotion and a nice raise and have the money to spend more than I should, but I want to prioritize paying off debts and student loans and stuff. Grrr, adulting. My sweet spot is low 30's. I could stretch higher in the 30's for a newer, lower mileage car, but probably can't justify going past 40k.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I think I'll look at a Jaguar F-type or GTR in 4-5 years. I'll be 50 and time for the midlife crisis car.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by woofersus
I've been following this thread for a while but it suddenly got a bit more relevant as a deer strike has led my insurance company to total my G.
Sorry to hear about your G getting totaled, woofersus.

Originally Posted by woofersus
Overall I'm not all that 2dr/4dr specific. I've been driving a sedan, but you could say I'm 2-door curious, lol. Heck, I'd even go 2-seat potentially.

For the current gen BMW's I think the 4-series is sportier looking, so my preference goes 440i gran sport, 440i coupe, then 340i. Perfect setup is probably a 2017 440i gran sport RWD auto with all the m-sport bits and the cold weather package in estoril blue, silver, or black. It will be easier to find the 340i set up like that in my price range though because it got updated in 2016 and is the higher volume car.

I like both versions of the ATS-V. Slight preference to the sedan maybe, but not enough to pass up a killer deal. There aren't a ton of options to worry about on that car I don't think. I like it in silver or black, I think

I'm in a weird place on price range, which is one reason I was going to wait a bit longer. Got a promotion and a nice raise and have the money to spend more than I should, but I want to prioritize paying off debts and student loans and stuff. Grrr, adulting. My sweet spot is low 30's. I could stretch higher in the 30's for a newer, lower mileage car, but probably can't justify going past 40k.
30K is a tough spot for those cars with reasonable mileage. You'd probably be better looking at the 430/330 versions instead of the bigger motored cars.

If your open to a 2 door, what about a M240i? Not quite a full M car, but lots of M bits. Available with 6MT and auto, RWD and AWD.

As a competitor to the 440 gran sport, have you looked at a A5 Sportback? They are in the middle of your price range and probably on par from a "sportiness" perspective to a xS G. About as quick, and a JB1/4 would easily dip into the mid-high 4s 0-60 and not jeopardize any remaining warranty.

Again, sorry to hear about your G.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Sorry to hear about your G getting totaled, woofersus.

30K is a tough spot for those cars with reasonable mileage. You'd probably be better looking at the 430/330 versions instead of the bigger motored cars.

If your open to a 2 door, what about a M240i? Not quite a full M car, but lots of M bits. Available with 6MT and auto, RWD and AWD.

As a competitor to the 440 gran sport, have you looked at a A5 Sportback? They are in the middle of your price range and probably on par from a "sportiness" perspective to a xS G. About as quick, and a JB1/4 would easily dip into the mid-high 4s 0-60 and not jeopardize any remaining warranty.

Again, sorry to hear about your G.
Yeah, it kind of highlights the unique position the G was in. I bought a 4yr old G37 with 50k miles on it for $20k. (and after 5yrs and 145k miles, the Insurance company is giving me $6300 back) There aren't a lot of equivalent types of cars even at $10k more, and I'm not comfortable buying a German car that old with 50k miles on it, which is one reason I went with a Japanese car last time around. I drive like 30k miles per year, so it's going to get up there. I do think BMW has improved, and the substantially better thermal management of the B58 and a few other improvements makes me hopeful it will set a new standard for the brand. (and Toyota is using it) Still, I'm not going to stretch back to 2014-15 models to fit my price range here. But 4cyl bimmers just aren't an option. I don't want a slower car than I have now. My buddy has a 2014 I think 3-series with the 4-banger, and it's a competent, comfortable car and looks nice, but it's not sporty or quick. Maybe in a much lighter car, but I can't afford a Porsche 718...

I'm open to an M240i. I don't think the 2-series cars look quite as good or have quite as nice an interior as the 3/4, and I'm just a tad concerned about the interior being cramped as I'm a larger person, but then I feel perfectly comfortable in my wife's GTI, so maybe that would be fine. I don't think they look bad by any means, though, and I'm more interested in what it's like to drive. My early searches showed those being a tad more expensive actually, but another quick look says maybe not. Some nice, low mileage ones out there on the interwebs for close to 30k. Other than being a little lighter, I'm a little unsure how an M240i would compare to an LCI 3/4 series with the same engine and transmission. As I understand it the M240i has an LSD and the 3/4 don't even with the M-pack and it's a dealer add-on so I probably wouldn't find one with it. I'll have to look around to see if I can find one of those to test drive as well.

I actually haven't looked at an A5/S5. All my research has indicated those cars are very uninvolving to drive, although they look nice and have fabulous interiors. The other issue is that Audi (along with Lexus) seems to have resale value that is too good. Getting a low mileage example looks tough. If I'm wrong, I'm open to looking in that direction. Obviously an RS model is out of reach.

One thing I'm keeping in mind here is that most of these turbo-engined cars I'm looking at have significantly better fuel economy than my G. I get around 24mpg on long highway trips, and average around 21.5 in mixed driving, and with the long commute I have that adds up to around $350/mo in gas. Even car mags where they drive these cars like they stole them report averaging 23mpg. The highway figure on a 440i is almost 30% higher than the G. Reduced running costs helps cover a higher payment.

Last edited by woofersus; 07-14-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Update: Drove an ATS-V today. It was out of my price range but a pretty aggressive deal as it was a 2018 with less than 2k miles on the clock priced at 46k. Also, when I told the manager it was out of my price range and I was probably looking for more like a 2016 that had seen some miles and that I wasn't super into the color (an orangish red with a lot of metal fleck in the paint) he suggested he had "bought the car pretty right" and might be able to "make me a fan of red." I'm guessing that means that they could get real close to the $40k mark I said was my upper bound. Still probably too far out of the sweet spot, but it tells me a bit about what the auction prices are on these things and how much mark-up there is in the prices I'm seeing on them. I also know that car has been on the lot for over a month, so when he used the term "smokin' deal" he probably meant it.

Anyhow, I'm not the sort to fall in love with a car and make up my mind on the spot, especially when it's above my preferred price point, but I definitely liked the car. I've sat in a 2016 before, and the 2018 models had an update to the much-maligned CUE system. It's an improvement. I'd still much prefer some buttons and *****, but I came away from the experience feeling like I could live with it just fine. Ink has been spilled about the mishmash of interior materials, and it's true but it didn't bother me. There were enough high quality materials that the overall impression is pretty decent. It's not quite as ergonomically just right as the 440 I drove, but it was ok, and the star of the show in this car is something else anyway. It had the optional Recaro seats which were surprisingly comfortable (did I mention I'm a fairly big person?) and it was easy to get into a good position for driving, with the relatively thick, small steering wheel feeling nice in the hands.

The exhaust on start-up was wholly uninspiring but not offensive. I don't know if aftermarket exhaust would improve it significantly, but I do know my G sounds a lot better since I replaced the exhaust, cats, filters, and intake tubes. I came to understand what some reviewers were talking about when they complained about the engine. It pulls hard with no lag, but it never tells you all that much, and mostly makes a buzzy sound as you get higher in the tach. And there's no feeling of building as you rev higher. It's kind of a constant wall of torque. Just not a lot of character. There were some small humps and bumps in the power band, but I'm not sure if maybe the traction control was kicking in. But it sure is fast - 60mph comes in a blink and speeds I was surprised the salesman riding with me approved of came pretty soon after that. I felt at all times like I was driving a fast car, unlike the 440ix without the M suspension and steering bits. I could see cruising at triple digits like it was nothing, with the effortless power and the incredibly effective magnetic suspension. Super smooth even in sport mode, but with no body roll or sway ever. And the steering was magnificent. The chassis and handling is the star of the show, and the GM engineers deserve some serious kudos. In touring mode it feels like they just put some play in the steering right on center. Maybe a little less touchy, but not confidence inspiring. In Sport mode it was perfect. Precise, fast, communicative, and just the right weight, for me anyway. Race mode was real twitchy and would take some practice, so I noped back to sport mode after a few seconds. Took a little loop on a back road and it was a joy to take through the turns. I will say it didn't quite give the same impression of mechanical connectedness as my G, but I'm so familiar with the latter that it's probably less the machine and more the mind. And the distant nature of what was happening under the hood probably contributed as well.

I'm still skeptical that an ATS-V will fall into my price range, but I REALLY enjoyed driving it despite its well-chronicled shortcomings.

Last edited by woofersus; 07-14-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
That's a great review on the ATS-V. I came away from the read thinking the ATS is a somewhat disconnected driving experience, regardless of actual speed. Interesting take-away.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?