G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
This site make me want to perhaps get the A6

https://e1motorsports.com
Old 02-19-2019, 03:52 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
'14 and older have the Recaro seats. They were the best oem seats I had in a car, but not as grippy as my Sparco. The interior was very plastic fantastic. Below is the only picture I could find of my '14. Hopefully, you can see the detail. I had the dash and trim on the doors carbon wrapped, the chrome tinted, and had custom titanium suede made for the shift boot, armrest, e-brake boot, door inserts, etc. It looked a lot better, but still cheap inside compared to our cars.

I would not consider an MR as I do not want the DCT. For daily driving and especially for tuning.

One of the reasons I got rid of it was the lack of interior quality. I had some back issues at the time and getting into those seats and the harsh ride was not the best thing for me. The car really needed a 6th gear and a bigger trunk too. I also did not like the exhaust sound. Finally, not having Xenon's, a decent stereo, nav, intelligent key, or a back up camera were not great, but I realize they were available optionally. The G37 fixed all of those issues. However, I do miss the torque and SAWC. It's too bad they no longer make this car as the next version would probably be awesome.

Thanks for the insight. I've been mulling over the idea of getting one as a 'toy' that could be used in any weather conditions. They were such a force when they came out but the competition seems to have caught and surpassed them at this point. I'd think it would take quite a bit of modding to make an Evo X able to compete with anything riding on GM's Alpha platform, Ford's Coyote, the 3.0VR, etc...
Old 02-19-2019, 04:20 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Now there might be a time when they become collectors items so a toy might actually make you some money. I believe they are too expensive still.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Saw an Alfa Romeo Giulia today on the highway. Funny how when it first came out I thought it was hideous, and now I think it's beautiful and unique.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
This site make me want to perhaps get the A6 https://e1motorsports.com
check out www.goapr.com They do a lot of Audi & VW tuning

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Thanks for the insight. I've been mulling over the idea of getting one as a 'toy' that could be used in any weather conditions. They were such a force when they came out but the competition seems to have caught and surpassed them at this point. I'd think it would take quite a bit of modding to make an Evo X able to compete with anything riding on GM's Alpha platform, Ford's Coyote, the 3.0VR, etc...
The only real competition the Evo X has is the STI or Golf R and it still has an even more advanced AWD system, even though it debuted 11 years ago. The RWD GM and Ford pony cars are very good. However, you can pick up a low mileage Evo X in the low to mid $20k range and make it a solid and reliable almost 400 hp and similar torque for about $900 and 500 hp for about $8k. A pretty good bargain for AWD.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I know about them. This place sells there stuff. I guess goapr doesn't sell their stuff in CA even though they are located in CA. With the ultracharger, intake, and supercharger pulley it has a potential of 500 hp all for less than 1400. But being that I am in CA, the Inter cooler will need to be replaced. Around a year ago I saw some youtube videos from a guy with an S4 and he loved it until the car overheated and basically destroyed the engine, so it would need to be prevented at all costs.

Last year my house got close to 100 degrees and I am blocks from the beach. The g was fine but something boosted will need to be protected.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I do like the Golf R quite a bit, but I am hopeful that there are some significant upgrades to the next generation. It looks like some versions of the next GTI will be almost as powerful as the current Golf R.

Speaking of "R" cars, next year marks 25 years old for the R33 GT-R so it will be legal here in the U.S. Hmm... Totally impractical for me as a 2dr. right now and I am sure getting parts and tuning will be difficult, but such a cool car. I know everyone drools over the R34, but for me the R33 is the perfect example of when I think Nissan hit their sporty styling peak in the mid 90's.
In Canada we only have to wait 15 years to get the JDM cars rather than 25, so we started getting them a few years ago so you see them now and then. I still much prefer a clean R33. Most of what's left of the R32's are riced out/beaters at this point unfortunately.

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
The same can be said about just about any of the cars mentioned, but at least with the Civic it's at a price that you probably won't experience huge buyers remorse . As I said I worked at a high end dealership for 3 years, all of those cars wow factors quickly fade too, and you're left with a huge price tag.
Not to mention being a Civic how easy it'll be to resell while not losing much value. The SI is a ton of fun for what it is, and you'll never run out of aftermarket options.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Not to mention being a Civic how easy it'll be to resell while not losing much value. The SI is a ton of fun for what it is, and you'll never run out of aftermarket options.
For sure. I've also seen these at the Autocrosses and even stock they rip through the course pretty well!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

At times I have thought about getting a S2000 or RSX Type S. In the 90s there were so many options that you could have with a civic and for the most part I guess there still is, but of course back then there was a huge demand for Drag Racing hondas when drift came about and most of that died. I knew a guy who started a aftermarket place that was making motor mounts so that you could put an Integra Motor or Prelude motor in a Civic.

I had a 95 Civic DX, I could have bought a EX for 2k more (bought it new). I paid 900 for shocks, springs, swaybars and install. I had some inexpensive 16" wheels put on. I bought a warm air intake for like $80 and a used header for about $120. I also bought an exhaust which was too loud. When I sold it, I sold it for what others were selling their Exs for. From time to time I look at Civics that have been modified with the RSX Type S engines it seems to be the thing to do.

The nice thing about those cars is how basic they are, most of the old Civics had no abs. They are cheap as hell and modified pretty quick. I think I will look on Craigslist and see what is available, even though I don't a serious thought about getting one.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
R31 or R32 are my choices. R34 is probably my least favorite of the bunch, the lines are just a bit strange for me.

Anyway, I'm fairly convinced I will end up with a 2019 6 speed Civic Si this year after I sell my G35X. Was a blast to drive, light weight, only car with an LSD and active dampening control under 25k. Plus it gets well over 30mpg and I drive A LOT! Before all of you jump on the hate wagon, just try one out at the very least. I guarantee you it's more fun than a lot of these high end vehicles coming up in this thread, and a lot more practical.
You'd sell the G35 but keep the 6MT G37? I think in that case a Si is kinda sorta acceptable,

You can get the GTI with LSD and adaptive dampers, but IDK if it is under $25K in that configuration. I thought the interior in the Civics felt cheap, with lots of hard plastics.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:47 AM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You'd sell the G35 but keep the 6MT G37? I think in that case a Si is kinda sorta acceptable,

You can get the GTI with LSD and adaptive dampers, but IDK if it is under $25K in that configuration. I thought the interior in the Civics felt cheap, with lots of hard plastics.
Go drive a Veloster N bro.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Correct. The interior is probably not as high quality as some other cars but for it's class it's at the very least highly reviewed. Again probably more like under 24k: LSD, Turbo, Good MPG, adaptive dampers, lots of room, modern features (android auto etc), lane change camera, six speed, under 3000 lbs. What other car can check all those boxes? In terms of value for a sporty car it really is unmatched IMO. Yes competitors can offer those but they are starting to get closer to $30,000.

Anyway, I like having a fun daily, but the idea of twice the MPG is very tempting! I've also seen the early mods and with a plug in ecu flash you can get big Gains: 56wtq, 35-40whp midrange, 30whp peak to peak. This will be done to only sport mode so in normal you can still enjoy your 30+ MPG average.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Pato A. Vidal
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Veloster Turbo R-Spec 2019

Check out a 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Pato A. Vidal
Check out a 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-Spec
Solid car on paper...we will have to see what the dealership markup is.

Really wish they would've given the States the i30 over the Veloster though.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
My only experience with the Veloster was sitting in it at the Autoshows over the last few years, each time thinking the cabin was strangely rewarding, and Tardis-like. It was kind of cool, and certainly unique.

But seriously... Veloster, Civic and the Toyota family 4-door that shall not be named. This thread is taking a weird turn.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?