G37 Sedan

Grinding/Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:48 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
AFAIK, over the years I've read no one complaining about AWD Swift Springs rubbing on anything. Not sure why they would. You can probably avoid a camber kit, because the drop is reasonable. However, you could just buy the extended toe bolts for the rear, keep the toe in spec so you have more slack for the alignment. I bet your rear camber will be -1.5* give or take. IDK what to tell you about the front.

Springs will be a minor handling mod, because you're still on the non-Sport shocks. Granted, if you consider replacing the shocks too, then you're going to start researching coil-overs... and there you are. It's a quick trip, LOL.

Basically, figure out what you want and how much you want to spend. If it's a long plan, then you can do things in stages, and upgrade as you go. If it's a short plan with a small budget... just get the Swift Springs and see what happens.

Thanks, sounds good. Yeah I was going to go with springs because I already have a summer toy, this is my daily. And coilovers might be too harsh for it.

So I can get a set of 2 265/40/19 firestone indy 500s for $350 CAD, almost brand new. I can also get a set of 2 265/40/19 Pirelli pzero for 250, but 2013 tire with ~85% tread.

235/45/19 has the same sidewall and overall diameter. I believe I should be able to get a pair of 2 for the front 2 for under 200, would you advise running 265/40/19 all around or 235/45/19s in the front for lock-to-lock in case I drop? Personally I like the look of 265s all around but I also like staggered.

For reference in case I forgot to mention it, I have 19x8.5 +35 offset 19" ruffino tekniks. Currently 245/40/19s on it.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by zaz
Didn't have time, I work full time with a crazy commute.

So yesterday I hit a pothole and my sidewall got a finger-length tear. The tires are getting old anyways so I've decided to replace all 4 with 265/40/19s. I got the car towed to a mechanic (I was relatively far from home, didn't want to ride on the doughnut), and he said he played with my calipers and everything seemed fine. They did a full inspection and weren't able to find any reason why I was hearing a noise or feeling vibration, but due to the tear they didn't want to drive it so I'll just be bringing it back once I have new tires installed. Is it possible the "grinding" or I guess better described as a hollow metal drum rolling sound is due to crappy old tires?
honestly don't know where to begin to assist you. for one a audio posting of the noise would be nice. then theres a bunch of contradictory statements you have posted in response to many other posts here. you claim you bought this car from a reputable dealer that has fair prices and good vehicles. in addition you stated they installed full set of tires but yet it has only been 3months since you had the car and you now make the comment crappy old tires. so did the reputable dealer install crappy old tires? lastly if it was my car, i would definitely spend the time to try to identify the issue even if i worked full time with a crazy commute.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:01 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
honestly don't know where to begin to assist you. for one a audio posting of the noise would be nice. then theres a bunch of contradictory statements you have posted in response to many other posts here. you claim you bought this car from a reputable dealer that has fair prices and good vehicles. in addition you stated they installed full set of tires but yet it has only been 3months since you had the car and you now make the comment crappy old tires. so did the reputable dealer install crappy old tires? lastly if it was my car, i would definitely spend the time to try to identify the issue even if i worked full time with a crazy commute.
I replaced the OEM 18s w/ 225/50/18, brand new set of tires, with ruffino teknik 19" w/ 245/40/19, the set of tires came with the wheels, bought off someone else.

I still have the OEM 18s w/ the brand new 225/50/18s. I just don't use them.

And I am trying to find out the issue. Right now I'm trying to get a new set of tires on so it can be driven.

Anyhow, I got a 265/40/19 set that I'll be installing tomorrow and seeing if the sound was just crappy tires.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Hi everyone,
So I got a full set of 265/40/19s installed and I noticed that the sound (almost sounds like a hollow metal drum being rolled) is still there. There is also some vibration but this I believe is due to improper balancing which I'll get sorted out today.

I tried to record the sound but its hard to do, as its not very loud. I have a strong feeling that if my brakes were inspected and are fine, that it could be the wheel bearings.

However, I've noticed the steering is heavy (as its always been) but that might be because I have 265s on, and G37 all tend to have heavier than usual steering.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 PM
zaz
Registered Member

So the tire shop is claiming all 4 of my rims are warped, which doesn't make any sense especially because I got it balanced from a better shop last week before the new tires and they said the rims were fine. So I'm going to that old shop again and getting it roadforce balanced.

Yesterday on my way home from work, I noticed that it was vibrating significantly at idle, so I cleaned the throttle bodies today and it already sounds so much nicer and throttle response has improved significantly. They were filthy, I'm at 120k and they definitely were never cleaned. I also noticed that the filters were disgusting so I'll be ordering K&N drop in filters.

I think the most likely cause is wheel bearings for that weird metal-on-metal sound, especially because it pulls a little when braking on slightly uneven surface, more than any other car I've owned. I'll be bringing it to a shop tomorrow hopefully to have it inspected.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Somebody at a tire shop looked you straight in the face and said all four of your "rims are warped"? That's amazing.

120K miles... I wouldn't be at all surprised if you had a wheel bearing issue.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Somebody at a tire shop looked you straight in the face and said all four of your "rims are warped"? That's amazing.

120k kms, so about 75k miles?

And yeah, seriously. He said 3 were "very badly warped and I'm afraid they'll crack" and 1 was "the best but that isn't saying much, it's still warped". I have never heard of that happening ever. I had a 2010 mustang before this that I hit on every curb and pothole and jump, and the rims were fine on that... so. I don't think these things are THAT fragile.

Sidenote, I noticed my motorcycle was buzzing a bit more than usual too, maybe I'm just getting old and feeling every little thing more than I used to.

EDIT: adding onto this, I noticed that the initial startup after idle, it stayed at 1200rpm and slowly dropped to the ~650 it should be. Now it seems to idle as low as 500 with that slight shudder, which I thought cleaning the throttle bodies would help with. I still have to put in drop-in filters. Would I have to relearn idle and throttle body position?

Last edited by zaz; 07-07-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No joke Rochester, I bought new wheels, MRR GT-1, had vibrations from day one, had hubcentric rings, never hit a pothole. An experienced road force balancer showed me in person how each of my four brand new rims were out of round as they spun on the machine. Would not have believe it, but I seen it my own eyes. So it can happen. They were however able to move the tire around on the rim to get them balanced.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by jpg37
An experienced road force balancer showed me in person how each of my four brand new rims were out of round as they spun on the machine. Would not have believe it, but I seen it my own eyes. So it can happen.
Fair enough. Thanks, jp.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:12 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpg37
No joke Rochester, I bought new wheels, MRR GT-1, had vibrations from day one, had hubcentric rings, never hit a pothole. An experienced road force balancer showed me in person how each of my four brand new rims were out of round as they spun on the machine. Would not have believe it, but I seen it my own eyes. So it can happen. They were however able to move the tire around on the rim to get them balanced.
So what could cause it to be that bad otherwise? Hitting a million potholes? No hub rings? And if they are out of round, are they basically out of commission as the shop was trying to convince me? I'm going in about an hour to see some experienced road force balancers.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:04 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
dude you hit a curb your wheel bearing is probably shot and how is the tow truck driver "playing" with your calipers to tell you they were fine?

you have to get under your car because anything could be messed up from hitting the curb
Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AARONHL
dude you hit a curb your wheel bearing is probably shot and how is the tow truck driver "playing" with your calipers to tell you they were fine?

you have to get under your car because anything could be messed up from hitting the curb
I feel like you didn't read anything. I hit a pothole on the off ramp of a highway after my car was already being iffy. I had a mechanic take apart my caliper when I got it towed to a shop and say it looked fine. I didn't even bottom out hitting the pothole and I also do a full inspection every time I clean. I also just had a mechanic drive my car with me in the passenger seat and said he didn't really hear anything concerning but the sound I'm hearing might be a bearing and I should let it just get to a point where it's actually audible so he can properly diagnose and fix it, or else he'd just the replacing my bearings for no reason. So he obviously is a good mechanic because he'd rather save me time and money instead of charging me for a job it doesn't need. I'm also in the lobby of a reputable tireshop getting my wheels roadforce balanced right now.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:09 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
So you hear a problem but the mechanic doesn't fix it and he is a good mechanic????
Old 07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Might be just a slightly deaf but good mechanic.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM
zaz
Registered Member

So I got it roadforce balanced and it's currently at +5lbs pull to right, which is insignificant. However, the sound and vibration is significantly more excessive. And I know for certain that they're balanced because I have the balance sheet, and the shop is also very well reputed. Now, it does very much sound like a bearing, has a slight pull, and gets louder with speed. It also goes by the same frequency that the tire turns at. So it sounds like a bearing if the only thing that changed is that the tires are actually balanced, but I guess if it was running imbalanced for a while, maybe the bearings wore down prematurely?

Edit: 3 rims are basically ideal. One is slightly bent (probably the one that hit the pothole) but it isn't remotely excessive. Just for ideal numbers, they moved the two pirelli pzeros to the front and the two firehawk indy 500s to the rear. The height difference is about 0.25" due to wear.