G37 Sedan

Top Speed VS Tanabe loudness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:59 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Top Speed VS Tanabe loudness?

I like the way my Tanabe axle back looks, but it's just too quiet.. My original plan was to weld in the vibrant 1790s, but once dropped the y pipe off the car I realized the project is way beyond my welding abilities, and I gave up on it. I just want to get a bolt on system and be done with it.

Is the top speed actually any louder than the Tanabe? Can you hear it in the car? It's very hard to tell from youtube video clips.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
TopSpeed Y-Back is one of the best investments I've ever made. No drone at any speed (even at 70+) , amazing start up sound when cold. Build quality is very decent and have had no issues for the past 10 months of it being installed. In terms of loudness, it is louder than just an axle back but not obnoxious loud and doesn't attract police. In my opinion I feel its a best buy for the people that say "I want an exhaust that sounds nice but not TOO loud", and for the price can't beat it.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I like the way my Tanabe axle back looks, but it's just too quiet.. My original plan was to weld in the vibrant 1790s, but once dropped the y pipe off the car I realized the project is way beyond my welding abilities, and I gave up on it. I just want to get a bolt on system and be done with it.

Is the top speed actually any louder than the Tanabe? Can you hear it in the car? It's very hard to tell from youtube video clips.
I'm assuming you've had the tanabe long enough to break it in and it's just still too quiet for you?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts

You already have the 1790s, bring it to a shop and you shouldn't pay more than $100 for the welding. The Top Speed is pretty quiet to me and I think the Tanabe mufflers look much better. My vote is to keep your Tanabe and weld in the resonators from a shop.
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (06-04-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Quiver
I'm assuming you've had the tanabe long enough to break it in and it's just still too quiet for you?
Yes. I really can't even hear it inside the car.

Originally Posted by MaQG37
You already have the 1790s, bring it to a shop and you shouldn't pay more than $100 for the welding. The Top Speed is pretty quiet to me and I think the Tanabe mufflers look much better. My vote is to keep your Tanabe and weld in the resonators from a shop.
Maybe this is the best option. It will still cost less than buying a whole new exhaust. I just have to find someone good to do the work...
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Maybe this is the best option. It will still cost less than buying a whole new exhaust. I just have to find someone good to do the work...

It's not really complicated work. The area you are in, you should have 0 issue finding someone.
iCrap (06-04-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:57 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
my topspeed pro-1 exhaust was a catback, Y pipe from topspeed + Y-back system and it droned a lot. My cousin owns a Y-back system, sound is very good for the price, it drones but barely noticeable.
I don't know what type of loudness you are after lol, you should try art pipes for more loudness results.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by main_shoby
my topspeed pro-1 exhaust was a catback, Y pipe from topspeed + Y-back system and it droned a lot. My cousin owns a Y-back system, sound is very good for the price, it drones but barely noticeable.
I don't know what type of loudness you are after lol, you should try art pipes for more loudness results.

A few things to consider if he got ART pipes..
  • He has a AWD model.
  • ART pipes cost roughly $600 new opposed to the $100 he will have to spend for the welding
  • He may have to pass inspection.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:12 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts

+1 On this.
I ran this setup for 4yrs. No drone and you will love the exotic sound.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree with this, worth a shot for how cheap of a fix it is. This is how I'm set up and I love it.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

There is no inspections for me, just emissions, and yea I have AWD so that is out anyways.

I think you guys are right, I already spent the money on the Vibrants, might as well just get them put in. Gonna call some shops tomorrow.

I've been defeated, this is the first time I haven't been able to DIY something.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have any videos or sound clips of the top speed axle back?
Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by misc
Anyone have any videos or sound clips of the top speed axle back?
Youtube does
Old 06-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been exactly where you are. I wanted an exhaust with more tone, but I didn't want it to be too loud. I first went with the tanabes. Upon start up, I was disappointed. Too much like stock. I left them on anyway and really liked the tone of them in higher rpms, but really couldn't hear them unless the windows were down. For my current G37, I went with the Top Speed after listening to several videos thinking it was going to be a perfect fit for me. Long story short, I had the Top Speed on the car for about a week. Too loud and too much drone, especially 1500 - 2000 rpms under load. So after reading posts here I got the tanabes and paired them with the vibrant 1790s. I love the combination. The tone is real nice and there is almost no drone. Its basically like a sport option exhaust from the factory. There are times I wish it was alittle louder, but overall it's a perfect fit for me. Hope that helps.
iCrap (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
This is mine paired with ART pipes

iCrap (06-04-2017)