G37 Sedan

License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I think branded and custom-text plate frames are really tacky, and only one step removed from the embarrassment of dealer-installed plastic frames. They're busy, and often conflict with the design on the license plate itself.

However, I also think the plate needs framing... but it needs to be subtle. So for the last 10 years, I've been using Custom Cruiser plate frames on all my cars. You can find it at any auto parts store, Walmart, Amazon, etc. Very inexpensive, $7 tops.

It has four bolt holes, with the flanges *behind* the plate, so there's a continuous, consistent framing effect. Match it with some black or gun-metal fender washers, and you have a really clean look.
I agree with this, not a fan of any that I've ever seen. Mine is a plain black plastic frame, looks the same as the one you linked but plastic. I cut off the lower 2 bolt holes to make it flush on the bottom though.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:26 AM
EG Ryan
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Ohio State frame on the front. Need to get something for the front...car wash is bending it.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:08 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
This is mine.
The only rice this resembles is JERRY RICE #80

License Plate Frame-plate.jpeg
Old 06-07-2017, 09:07 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I think branded and custom-text plate frames are really tacky, and only one step removed from the embarrassment of dealer-installed plastic frames. They're busy, and often conflict with the design on the license plate itself.

However, I also think the plate needs framing... but it needs to be subtle. So for the last 10 years, I've been using Custom Cruiser plate frames on all my cars. You can find it at any auto parts store, Walmart, Amazon, etc. Very inexpensive, $7 tops.

It has four bolt holes, with the flanges *behind* the plate, so there's a continuous, consistent framing effect. Match it with some black or gun-metal fender washers, and you have a really clean look.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Acces...e%2Bframe&th=1

Here's a consideration people should look into before getting a frame: if you're thinking of getting a *covered* frame, with Plexiglas or whatever, not every state allows it. New York doesn't.
I have the same ones but in chrome

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,706 Likes on 3,514 Posts
Originally Posted by NealP
Yeah, I really like these. They provide the necessary rigidity to the plates, and a very clean, unobtrusive trim line. Been using them for years on all my cars.

However, the finish is cheap. Whether chrome or black, you can only get a few years out of them before chrome corrosion or black-paint wear necessitate replacement. Fortunately, they're also really inexpensive.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
JustROLLIN
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Acces...e%2Bframe&th=1

Thanks! I have been looking for something basic to replace my dealer frame. Everything I come across is either spendy or just looks ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM
G10
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
While on this topic, if you have these clips
clips, get ride of it. They're such a PITA to unbolt the plates once the bolts come loose in the plastic housing.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,706 Likes on 3,514 Posts
Originally Posted by G10
While on this topic, if you have these clipshttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/450430400209984304/ clips, get ride of it. They're such a PITA to unbolt the plates once the bolts come loose in the plastic housing.
That's great advice, G10.

One of my rear bolts became frozen in that clip, and the bolt just spun and spun. It was very frustrating. I had to cut the bolt with a loose hacksaw blade held in my fingers. And then replace the busted clip with a more standard type of clip that I picked up at the Nissan dealership. This time around, I put some no-seize on the bolt threads.

It really makes you wonder how dealerships deal with this crap when swapping plate for new or used cars.

Originally Posted by Chekov
To me, it’s best to go with no frame at all.
True to form, that's really bad advice for license plates that hang down without the support of a solid trunk or bumper backing.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-07-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NealP

Amazon

Me too. Clean and simple - just about perfect.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
G10
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
John -
I went through the same frustration and that's when I learned this lesson.
I didn't think about no-seize on the bolt threads but not a bad idea next time i'll apply some when clean my bumpers.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Vagina Dentada