G37 Sedan

New G owner - interior trim option questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 AM
G_Luv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New G owner - interior trim option questions

Hi guys,

I'm new here, have had my '13 G37x for about 3 months now, overall I'm very happy with the car, but I am considering swapping out the aluminum trim for OEM wood. I have a few questions though:

1) how many different wood trims does Infiniti offer on the '10-'13 G sedan? I've seen maple and rosewood, but sometimes it's hard to tell if pics I find are overlays or the real thing.

2) can anyone post pics of their wood trim interior? Trying to get a sense of what it would look like in my car. I have the black leather premium with NAVI.

3) pricing out new OEM parts from Infiniti to go from aluminum to wood comes out to more than $3k, and that's without factoring in labor. Does anyone know if there are any services available that offer used/salvage interior pieces like this? I'm willing to spend some money to upgrade, but $3k is a bit much for my liking especially since I just dropped a pretty penny on the car earlier this year.

4) lastly, I've looked into some of the overlay options, and while most (like these wood trim kits I see all over ebay) leave much to be desired IMO, the vinyl wrap option is intriguing. Has anyone tried this? I'd be curious to know cost, ease of installation, and of course how a faux wood vinyl wrap looks compared to the real thing. I assume the vinyl just goes right on top of the existing trim pieces (I have the brushed aluminum.)

Any feedback is appreciated! If this post needs to be moved somewhere else, please let me know. I did a search of this forum and no obvious threads popped up specifically related to this from what I can tell. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:43 PM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've also begun looking also at other trim options. I do like the Aluminum trim, but would like the option to mix it up a little with wood trims. this sparked after seeing the M's trim and thought to myself, why not give it a little bit more luxury.

I haven't dug too deep into the research but can say that I'll most likely be doing a vinyl wrap later this summer for the reasons listed;

1. Removing the trim isn't too hard and wrapping it once it off should be a piece of cake especially around the corners.
1a. If i'm super lazy, I don't have to remove the trim and i'm sure i'll still be able to get most of the vinyl around the corners.

2. There are lots of wood vinyl options now (see linked below for a gallery of a few).
Wood Grain Vinyl Film - 3M Di-Noc & Avery

3. Will not cost as much (so you can keep your first born child and/or arm & leg)

4. If you get tired of the look, heat it up, rip it off, and change it up.

I wouldn't even consider any OEM trim parts to be honest. It's just way to costly for something that doesn't even showcase any ambient light like the Mercedes Benz do. Also I know many members have done the Carbon Fiber overlay, which looks great, but to me is to bulky. There are some real carbon fiber trims out there if you wanted to do go that route, but you'll also be in the $$$$ range also.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your trim selection/project.

-1scG37s
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Nothing like the real thing

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...for-sedan.html
Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM
G_Luv

thanks for the feedback, 1sc. Curious as to what you mean by the OEM wood not "showcasing ambient light." Is it because it's matte finish, not gloss? Sorry, I am a n00b about this stuff. Wood to me is preferable as I find that while the aluminum is sportier, it also makes the interior feel a bit more austere.

Is that finish on the beige G you posted the only stock wood trim, or are there alternatives? Is that maple or rosewood?

While I may come back to the vinyl overlays if all else fails, I am going to try calling some auto body/used auto parts shops in the area to see if anyone happens to have a line on unwanted wood trim molding components.

(On a related note, if anyone here has some they are looking to unload, let me know.)
Old 05-05-2017, 04:08 PM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So Mercedes trims protrude out just slightly, so it can have ambient light shine underneath as pictured below.

In regards to the beige G (which is a coupe convertible) that is equip a wood trim, It does look to be Maple kit that is offered as an option. I've seen the more glossy trim on sedans like the photo below.

This also brings to light that the Sedan, Coupe, and Convertible all sport different options/materials.

-Convertible G with "Red Maple"

Best of luck with the wood trim hunt.
-1scG37s
Old 05-05-2017, 05:29 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 1scG37s
So Mercedes trims protrude out just slightly, so it can have ambient light shine underneath as pictured below.

In regards to the beige G (which is a coupe convertible) that is equip a wood trim, It does look to be Maple kit that is offered as an option. I've seen the more glossy trim on sedans like the photo below.

This also brings to light that the Sedan, Coupe, and Convertible all sport different options/materials.

-1scG37s

The Vert G with the Red Maple trim looks amazing, I want it!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing like the look of fake real wood👍
Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by 1scG37s

-1scG37s
Thanks. I see what you meant by ambient light. Not sure I care much about that, the under lighting seems highly unnecessary imo. It's a car, not a museum
Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 AM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by z 2 g
Nothing like the look of fake real wood👍
That actually looks pretty good...who makes that kit? How much was it?

My biggest concern with the overlay is that it could potentially wreck the original trim from what I've read. Not sure I'm ready to make a permanent switch unless it's the real thing.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 PM
G_Luv

Since it seems unlikely I'm going to find OEM wood trim for any reasonable price tag, does anyone have any good suggestions for best sites to browse vinyl wrap options? Much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
metrorestyling has pretty much every wrap type and brand ever.
The following users liked this post:
G_Luv (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by iCrap
metrorestyling has pretty much every wrap type and brand ever.
thanks. I assume they're reputable?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
My IPL came with the aluminum trim too but i wanted the wood for a more luxurious feel. $375 a couple of years ago i was able to go on Ebay and get the maple wood trim except for the doors from a wrecked car. Looks just like the last pic in post #6. Everyone likes it better than the all aluminum look.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:49 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Luv
That actually looks pretty good...who makes that kit? How much was it?

My biggest concern with the overlay is that it could potentially wreck the original trim from what I've read. Not sure I'm ready to make a permanent switch unless it's the real thing.
This is the factory option.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by z 2 g
This is the factory option.
then why did you call it "fake real" wood?