Would this be a downgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Would this be a downgrade ?

What's up fellow G's,
​​​​apologies if this is in the wrong section but I figured this might be the best since I own a sedan. Now, I own a 2011 G37 Sport 7AT (Paddle shifters, bigger brakes, LSD) with all packages except technology. It is currently at 71.5k miles and runs great. Now I've been the mood for a 6MT (first car was an accord 5SPD) as well as maybe a lighter car.

Figuring I could trade (or sell my car) as well as add minimal cash on top to get a 370z, would this be a downgrade ? Most likely would get a 370z with sport package (for LSD and Rev Synchro) only and add a pioneer double din with a back up camera. That seems to be the only thing I'll miss is the backup camera. Damn, now that I think about it, I'll miss the automatic moving seat when opening the door as well haha.

In the end, is a 370z 6MT A downgrade from a G37S 7AT and do you think I could sell or trade my G37S cleanly for a 370Z with minimal cash added or would I be looking into adding an extra 5grand. I can probably sell my G for 15-16grand.

Has anyone been down a similar situation? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Not at all. Lighter, faster, and tons more fun. Get the car you want, backseats be damned.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not at all. Lighter, faster, and tons more fun. Get the car you want, backseats be damned.
Thanks for the reply. I think during my SMOG around August, I will take off the exhaust / HFC and put the stocks back on. Between the value of a 2011 G37S versus the value of a 2011 370Z, say exact same condition, which would be more expensive? Of course brand new, Infiniti most likely (unless its a nismo), but how about used.

In other words, who would be more obligated to add cash on top if two people did a trade for trade and they were the exact same condition.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
If the Z is a sport w/ the bigger brakes and other sport upgrades then the Z would probably retain a bit more value. But if you find a Z owner that needs those rear seats/doors, and is motivated it could easily go the other way.
The following users liked this post:
SkyG37 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
Going from a prestigious, upscale marque to a lowly economy brand for the peons, and you have the audacity to ask such a question!?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
performance wise its an upgrade. On the show off side i guess you can argue a 370z is just a nissan while a g37 is an infiniti.
SkyG37 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
This isn't much of a downgrade (more of a lateral jump), unless if you value your rear seats. The 370z has less sound deadening so your ears will have to get used to bleeding at highway speeds. Trunk space is also minimal - don't expect to haul anything except groceries and luggage made for gnomes. One bit that I do envy about the car is the revmatch feature. Downshifting perfectly feels like a dream and you can always opt to turn it off and feel like a hero.

If you're looking for a manual 370z with similar mileage, you can expect to put $1-2k extra. As mentioned earlier, find someone who needs rear seats and you might be able to do a straight trade.
SkyG37 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

If you're really going to do this, then do it right and look for a Nismo-Z. A unique car with 350hp. Hit the ground running with the right model, so that compromise doesn't become regret. This forum is filled with people who wish they bought a car with a proper manual transmission.

And then there's the special kind of rationalized nonsense which is good for a laugh. Just this morning, I read a noob comment about buying a 7AT for "safety reasons", so that his hands were always on the wheel, LOL. I just about choked on my coffee... funniest damn thing I've read in a long time.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-28-2017 at 10:13 AM.
SkyG37 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If you're really going to do this, then do it right and look for a Nismo-Z. A unique car with 350hp. Hit the ground running with the right model, so that compromise doesn't become regret. This forum is filled with people who wish they bought a car with a proper manual transmission.

And then there's the special kind of rationalized nonsense which is good for a laugh. Just this morning, I read a noob comment about buying a 7AT for "safety reasons", so that his hands were always on the wheel, LOL. I just about choked on my coffee... funniest damn thing I've read in a long time.
I'm one of those that wished he could have found a 6mt in my price range.

I'm almost glad I missed the "noob comment". My sarcasm may not have been appreciated had I replied... lol
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. If anything, I am really considering going this route but I would have to wait until around May due to using my G as my main transportation to college. If I could afford a Nismo at this moment, I would def. get one, but they seem to be all around 28-35$ grand, way out of my budget ( I spent $19.8 on my G a year ago ). I am looking at spending around the value of my G37S + around 4-5 grand on top for the new 370Z, but I am always open to spending less

Regardless, I love the G37S to death (except the 7AT), but I am dying for the 6MT bug. I could of course look for a 6MT Sedan, but I would love a performance upgrade.

I've come up with:
Pros to switching to 370:
- As Rochester mentioned, better performance, lighter, and more fun to drive.
- 6MT
- Rev Syncro

Cons
- Loosing certain aspects relating to luxury (leather seats, automatic moving seat, backup camera, etc)
- No back seats / Trunk space (who needs them anyways lol)
- Road noise

I guess I have to think this over I think.. Will my insurance change from going from the G to a 370Z you think?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Add to the list of cons the giant "Look at me!" sign that will forever be floating over your head, making you the first car a cop sees when looking around for potential traffic stops. You can label that concern under paranoia.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Add to the list of cons the giant "Look at me!" sign that will forever be floating over your head, making you the first car a cop sees when looking around for potential traffic stops. You can label that concern under paranoia.
Add to the fact if I get a red or Laguna blue 370Z, I'll be a moving a ticket Add an exhaust + TP, and i'll be a moving ticket sounding like a helicopter LOL. I guess I should stick to my 7AT for safety reasons.

Lol in actuality, you are 100% right. I do also hav to consider that because the city I stay in, cops will mess with you for anything, especially tinted windows lol.

Thats why I do love the G37S (Even as a college student), cops tend to look at this car to be too expensive for hooligans / your trouble making teenager. So, they tend to let me slide versus a 95 Civic EG with an exhaust when it comes to getting pulled over. So I do got to give credit to the G for getting me out of a few tickets haha.

I'm going to also look for 6MT Sedans (If I find a white, I'll fall in love)
Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
I guess I have to think this over I think.. Will my insurance change from going from the G to a 370Z you think?
No need to guess, just get a quote directly from your insurance company.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Count me in the "upgrade" group.

And FYI, the 6MT Sedan doesn't have the auto moving seat.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SkyG37
Thanks for the replies guys. If anything, I am really considering going this route but I would have to wait until around May due to using my G as my main transportation to college. If I could afford a Nismo at this moment, I would def. get one, but they seem to be all around 28-35$ grand, way out of my budget ( I spent $19.8 on my G a year ago ). I am looking at spending around the value of my G37S + around 4-5 grand on top for the new 370Z, but I am always open to spending less

Regardless, I love the G37S to death (except the 7AT), but I am dying for the 6MT bug. I could of course look for a 6MT Sedan, but I would love a performance upgrade.
I found myself re-reading this just now, and feel compelled to offer advice, seemingly opposite my first response. Since you can't stop me, here it is. Keep your car. Enjoy your car. Continue to mod your car. In the meantime, get through college with the car you've got, because it's already pretty awesome. By the time you graduate, you'll be better situated with a career and experience and whatever you want in Next Car.

Essentially, don't do what I did when I was your age, which was trade in a perfectly gorgeous, completely affordable, and brand new Firebird after only one year, just so that I could buy an even older Trans Am with a manual transmission and a V8. It sucked up my time, my priorities, and my money... things that in hindsight would have been better directed towards school.

/oldmanadvicesoontobeignored