G37 Sedan

Would this be a downgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
If you can afford the Z (in your current financial condition), go for it.
If you will be able to afford it (in the future with a full-time job), postpone it.

You seem pretty convinced that the Z is the right car for you. I had similar cravings for other cars last year too. One thing that I learned is to treat switching cars like getting a tattoo - if you still want it after 6-12 months, just go for it.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
@InitialB
The reason I dislike the 7AT is, as mentioned by Nitro, it has sort of a hesitation to it. Don't get me wrong, its a fast car. But it doesn't have super quick shifts which is why some members recommend doing a grounding kit / tune to help enhance and improve the shifts. I also find that, as mentioned, you need to press on the gas pretty noticeably in order to downshift (even with my exhaust + HFC / ECU relearn) . I also find that when I'm driving and cruising (giving no gas but just cruising), it doesn't know whether to be in the higher gear around 1.8-2k RPM or the lower gear being at 1.2k RPM. Lastly, it puts me in the highest gear possible whenever it can (can be going 35 in 6th in D), but this can be argued to be an economy saving mode to achieve the best MPG.

As when it comes down to the paddle shifters (manual mode), it's not the most impressive but the G is the only car I've driven which offered such a feature. No matter how much I use it, there is still no clutch... Meaning, I can't just shift down into neutral or press in the clutch when I need to brake hard or something. I have to manually go through each gear to get into 1 or just shove it into D again, but who knows how much wear that causes while driving. I can't cruise into a stop or cruise downhill simply by being in neutral (6MT) but I have to be in 6th gear going 40 in order to cruise or I get engine braking which slows me down. Overall, the clutch is like an on and off button for neutral, and after driving a 5SPD to now paddle shifters, nothing is like a manual transmission (Unless we are talking about a Porsche 911 auto, but still). A few reasons why I don't like the paddle shifters / manual mode

You asked for it... sorry for the long paragraphs. I still love the G lol.

@kickintheglass
Not set on the Z. I'm still looking at other options, can't be more than 20k tho. Or I'm trying to not break 20k. 370Z, some FRS / BRZ, S2K (idk tho..). I could also go the dark side and get a n45 or n55 335i to get a turbo, my n54 friends are constantly working on their car. Idk about n55. I might even just shut up soon and keep the G haha

Thanks for the responses

Last edited by SkyG37; 03-02-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You could keep the G for your daily and look at something like an older BMW 135i (seen them in the $12k range now & then on ebay motors) to get your MT fix and those things are little go-carts on rails, a blast to drive.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:34 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Not at all. Lighter, faster, and tons more fun. Get the car you want, backseats be damned.
I agree 100%!

But beware bc the Z Forum isn't as cool as this one and they can be a bit douchey over there
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
All the 6MT envy is hilarious.

Driving an auto in manual mode 95-98% of the time??

Just. Get. A. Manual.
No envy here, because the manual sedans miss out on rear AC vents for my kids. It's not a Sentra - it should absolutely have them. But yes, I'm pretty much always in manual mode and I love the paddles on the column (where they should be).

But I've never once used the shift kn0b because Infiniti reversed the pattern like idiots and I haven't found the time/desire to correct that.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyG37
@InitialB
The reason I dislike the 7AT is, as mentioned by Nitro, it has sort of a hesitation to it. But it doesn't have super quick shifts which is why some members recommend doing a grounding kit / tune to help enhance and improve the shifts. I also find that, as mentioned, you need to press on the gas pretty noticeably in order to downshift (even with my exhaust + HFC / ECU relearn) . I also find that when I'm driving and cruising (giving no gas but just cruising), it doesn't know whether to be in the higher gear around 1.8-2k RPM or the lower gear being at 1.2k RPM. Lastly, it puts me in the highest gear possible whenever it can (can be going 35 in 6th in D), but this can be argued to be an economy saving mode to achieve the best MPG.
OK, I can see that. My IS350 was actually really good in auto mode, but again that doesn't help me much. If you like controlling the gears then try driving in manual mode more often. It would pretty much eliminate all of your complaints (minus the clutch). I agree that shifts could be quicker, but I've given up on trying to find the perfect car, there always seems to be a compromise.

That being said, if I was you - young, no kids - then I'd go for the 370Z haha. But then I'd miss having a sunroof. Like I said, always a compromise
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial B
No envy here, because the manual sedans miss out on rear AC vents for my kids. It's not a Sentra - it should absolutely have them. But yes, I'm pretty much always in manual mode and I love the paddles on the column (where they should be).

But I've never once used the shift kn0b because Infiniti reversed the pattern like idiots and I haven't found the time/desire to correct that.
There are vents under the seats

I've never had adults or my kids complain.

You get to keep both hands on the wheel too. I hear it's safer
The following users liked this post:
SkyG37 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts

Giving up on the manual sedan for vents . . Hey , guess everyone has their requirements .
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Maan what have I started?! LOL
You just made me laugh so hard in my last class right now with that last line everyone looking at me funny now @Lego LOLOLOL.

@blnewt See I would, but I know for a fact I won't be able to afford insurance on both cars (The G IS EXPENSIVE for my age already) as well as gas, and all the mods and everything at my age. As much as I would love 2 cars while I'm in my low 20's, that seems like a financial disaster for myself . So, no 2 cars for me I would've bought a 300zx already to get sideways and solve my 6MT bug if I could

@Kenny I already dislike their forums. It's been a week since I made an account and the mods haven't accepted my account yet I can't even post yet alone look at the mods profile to message him -_- Maybe its because under "What do you drive", I wrote "2011 G37S Sedan" They don't love us

@InitialB TBH, I think driving in manual mode (especially in stop and go traffic) is more dangerous than an actually 6MT (my opinion). This is due to the fact, as I mentioned, I have to parse through each gear. If I need to slam on the brakes cause some jackass cut me off at the last minute to beat traffic or if I need to slam to serve out the way of a dog, I have to literally downshift each gear. I know it can automatically downshift for you, but I'm not quite sure how "good" or "safe" that is for the transmission / ECU. in a 6MT, Press in the clutch or shift into N and just slam on the brakes, way more simple and safe (I think). I do agree tho I like how the shifters are on the steering column tho.

@Lego hahaha I'm still laughing everytime I read that **** . LOL after Roch posted it, I found it immediately

Last edited by SkyG37; 03-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Charlotte might be a bit different than where I live. From a local weather site:

Phoenix tops 110-degree mark for 30th time in 2016

So yeah, rear console vents are a must. I'm disappointed it didn't come with remote start like some the Altimas do, to be honest.

Most of my past cars have been stick, and my '97 TT Supra was a 6-spd, so don't worry - I don't always choose an auto. But I'm fine with the 7AT and a nice cool cabin.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyG37

@InitialB TBH, I think driving in manual mode (especially in stop and go traffic) is more dangerous than an actually 6MT (my opinion). This is due to the fact, as I mentioned, I have to parse through each gear. If I need to slam on the brakes cause some jackass cut me off at the last minute to beat traffic or if I need to slam to serve out the way of a dog, I have to literally downshift each gear. I know it can automatically downshift for you, but I'm not quite sure how "good" or "safe" that is for the transmission / ECU. in a 6MT, Press in the clutch or shift into N and just slam on the brakes, way more simple and safe (I think).
Dude, there's no reason you'd need to downshift each (or any) gear, the trans will not put undue stress on itself. But even if you want to, just bang em with the paddle. No issues doing that here. Nissan knows that enthusiasts choose this car over a Camry and have engineered it as such. Relax and enjoy the car
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you looked into a WRX at all? The 2018's are going to be released this Spring and they supposedly have received some slight updates with regards to suspension tuning, brakes, infotainment, etc. This way you can still get a manual and have the practicality of a sedan. I know it's a love/ hate thing with them but I freaking love em'!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:01 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitro15
Just out of curiosity, have you looked into a WRX at all? The 2018's are going to be released this Spring and they supposedly have received some slight updates with regards to suspension tuning, brakes, infotainment, etc. This way you can still get a manual and have the practicality of a sedan. I know it's a love/ hate thing with them but I freaking love em'!

I loved them and i really wanted one until i test drove a brand new fully loaded WRX STI a few weeks ago. It was honestly underwhelming. It didn't feel like it was any faster than my 10 year old G lol. Now i don't know what i want
Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nitro15
i love WRXs. I wanted a WRX before I got the G and was actually looking for one. Until the ones I was looking at , couldn't find a good one under 20 grand as well as read about loosing all the power in the top end. That's when I found the G for high 19s.

I'm still looking at cars (6MT G, 370Z, FRS/BRZ) as well as thinking about keeping the g. Idk what else to consider. Mustang 5.0? Haha. Idk. this is advice for anybody coming from a stick and looking at a G, get a 6MT.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I loved them and i really wanted one until i test drove a brand new fully loaded WRX STI a few weeks ago. It was honestly underwhelming. It didn't feel like it was any faster than my 10 year old G lol. Now i don't know what i want
The STI does technically have more power, but it's using a crazy old engine. The WRX might still be worth a drive with the new engine in it.