G37 Sedan

Would this be a downgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to give a response from the other side of the fence. In my eyes, it's definitely a downgrade. Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love the 370Z. It's a great looking car that is reliable, fun to drive, and has a presence all of its own. But to trade in/ sell your car for one that is less spacious, less luxurious, and will be more of a pain to live with on a daily basis just doesn't seem worth it to me. All for what? A car that looks better and is marginally faster, if it all?

Believe me, I understand you wanting a manual and the 7AT in the G is downright horrible at times. But I'm with Rochester on this. The G sedan is an awesome car in its own right. It may not have the flashy looks of the Z but its better in nearly every other category. If you were debating on going to the Z from something like an Audi TT or a BRZ/ FRS, then I'd say go for it without hesitation. It's just my opinion, but I think you'd be making a huge mistake here man. Try doing some subtle mods. Tires, axle back exhaust, sways, etc.

Last edited by Nitro15; 02-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitro15
Try doing some subtle mods. Tires, axle back exhaust, sways, etc.
He already has a brand new ARK Grip catback. Not too shabby.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...or-review.html

One has to assume he has aftermarket swaybars too, right? I mean, he's not an idiot. Hahahaha
Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I was wondering when someone was going to catch the "transportation to college" line and figure I'm on the younger side. As we all know Rochester, you are one of the top respected members up in this bitch, I mean forum, so of course I'll listen to you .

Realistically, you guys are right. I shouldn't be trading in the G as it's already a premium vehicle, but man thst manual bug got me. The reason is I bought a motorcycle a little after the G and it brought back the memories of a manual. Fast forward, someone ran a stop sign and hit me. Got $3000 from insurance and my bike is still in 9/10 condition (repaired salvaged CBR600 with 7k miles) so I can get another $2000 from selling it, total of $5000. I originally paid $3000 for the bike. That's why Ive been CRAVING a manual ever since.

Now as far as my G, I got an Ark Grip CBE , Z1 HFC, and Hotchkis sways (thanks Rochester), and that's about it. Haven't touched the cosmetics due to thinking about selling for a 6MT. I even bought a front chin spoiler recently and sold it FOR cheaper than what I paid to a member due to thinking of selling the G. I just figured, I already spent around $2000 on mods, why continue on a car that isn't 100% keepable (due to 7AT) and is also a quite expensive car to mod when looking at the $/gains ratio.

Don't get me wrong , if I had a 6MT, this thread would be instead named "FINALLY TUNED, DYNO INSIDE". I Ilove this car so don't think I don't. I'm just in a 6MT phase right now I guess.

Last edited by SkyG37; 02-28-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:03 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

I'm going to give a response from the other side of the fence. In my eyes, it's definitely a downgrade. Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love the 370Z. It's a great looking car that is reliable, fun to drive, and has a presence all of its own. But to trade in/ sell your car for one that is less spacious, less luxurious, and will be more of a pain to live with on a daily basis just doesn't seem worth it to me. All for what? A car that looks better and is marginally faster, if it all?

Believe me, I understand you wanting a manual and the 7AT in the G is downright horrible at times. But I'm with Rochester on this. The G sedan is an awesome car in its own right. It may not have the flashy looks of the Z but its better in nearly every other category. If you were debating on going to the Z from something like an Audi TT or a BRZ/ FRS, then I'd say go for it without hesitation. It's just my opinion, but I think you'd be making a huge mistake here man. Try doing some subtle mods. Tires, axle back exhaust, sways, etc.
you know what's crazy, I was looking at a frs / BRZ but I figured that was a huge downgrade. I'm not saying that in a "this car is better than your car cause it's THISBRAND and yours is THISBRAND". I like them cause they are light and i heard the stock block can take some nice power. For now, I'm in the G. Just thinking about it as it's all doable within a little bit of time.

​​​
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Essentially, don't do what I did when I was your age, which was trade in a perfectly gorgeous, completely affordable, and brand new Firebird after only one year, just so that I could buy an even older Trans Am with a manual transmission and a V8. It sucked up my time, my priorities, and my money... things that in hindsight would have been better directed towards school.

/oldmanadvicesoontobeignored
But if you hadn't done that, you might not be the car enthusiast you are today

I'd fall somewhere in the middle, not knowing OPs financial position, but I'd kinda lean "go for it".

By the time you graduate, things change. Responsibilities increase: job, house, marriage, etc. Why not enjoy the impracticality of a sports car while you're young?

I bought a low mileage 4th generation Trans Am the year I graduated college and kept it for 12 years as a second car. It was kid #2 that prompted me to finally sell it, but it at least funded a fence for the back yard and a cat-back for the G
Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
That's possible, Lego. Hard to say. What I do know is that I could have been a better student if I didn't waste so much time on the car. And I would have graduated with fewer student loans, if I didn't waste so much money on the car. I'm not blaming the car for everything, that's silly... but it really didn't help me at that time in my life. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it did help me get laid a few times.

Meh. Here's an argument that you yourself just unintentionally made... You don't have to be young to enjoy an impractical car.

OK, here's advice #3 for the OP. Whatever you do, do it with your eyes wide open, and take your time. Don't just dive into it because it's what your heart wants in the moment.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:40 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Since we are on the topic of school , might as well give you guys some info. I'm currently a junior boutta be senior (I'll graduate 2018) trying to obtain a B.S. in Computer Science. Living in the California, especially by silicon valley , tech industry is booming. So I figured once I get a degree, the starting pay should be around 70-80k/ yearly and I'll work my way up.

So I figure money shouldn't be an issue (I HOPE KNOCK ON WOOD) once I graduate and find a job. Shietttt does myG37 need a mobile APP? Lol. But that's why I figured I could spend this extra 2-4 grand + my G37S and it shouldn't hurt me financially.

And idk if you guys caught on too, but I've only owned the G for a year (bought around 01/16 since that's when I made my first few posts). And since the year of purchasing it, the value has gone done from 20gs to about 15gs. This makes me feel like I should trade it in sooner to get the most, but then again, thats how the market works. Stuff depreciates while others don't.

I should've bought a 6MT. Oh well. But I can't sell the car soon as I can't mess up these straight As (.. a few B's) as midterms are coming up. So I still have time to think.

Can we all still be G friends even tho I might get a Z haha
One thing I'll also miss is the clean *** front bumper with the sport bumper on the G. Waaaaay cleaner than the non sport. I always smile when I walk away and look back at the G all waxed and shiny haha. I hope a Z can do the same.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

What about a 6mt G? Coupe or sedan?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What about a 6mt G? Coupe or sedan?
no coupe. Not my style. I'm a sedan type of guy (when it comes to GS) to be honest but I would love a 6MT G, esepcially in white. I've been looking but I only found 1 for 23k with 25k miles on it. I think I would like to spend no more than an extra 4-5gs on top of the G, so 23 is a little bit out my budget. If one popped up for 19k with low miles, I would do it.

I just said 370z as well cause I was originally considering a 350z HR Nismo (these HRs are fast), but I wanted the SyncroRev the 370z offered.

I could always keep my G until I find a job, work a year, than buy a used Porsche. But.... Idk if that would be smart to spend my first years of paychecks on haha.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 332 Likes on 253 Posts
Always kinda awkward when folks over-divulge information about themselves, thread starts to read like an online diary...
Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
no coupe. Not my style. I'm a sedan type of guy (when it comes to GS) to be honest but I would love a 6MT G, esepcially in white. I've been looking but I only found 1 for 23k with 25k miles on it. I think I would like to spend no more than an extra 4-5gs on top of the G, so 23 is a little bit out my budget. If one popped up for 19k with low miles, I would do it.

I just said 370z as well cause I was originally considering a 350z HR Nismo (these HRs are fast), but I wanted the SyncroRev the 370z offered.

I could always keep my G until I find a job, work a year, than buy a used Porsche. But.... Idk if that would be smart to spend my first years of paychecks on haha.
wait what lol. a Z is a coupe.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
wait what lol. a Z is a coupe.
If you also bolded the next 5 words, it says "When it comes to G'S" . -_-
Old 03-02-2017, 01:15 AM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Believe me, I understand you wanting a manual and the 7AT in the G is downright horrible at times.
I've only owned this car for about a year, but the trans has been pretty decent IMO. What bugs you about it?

I owned a 2007 IS350 with paddles - there's a car with a sh1tty transmission. In manual mode, it would downshift by itself whenever you gave it enough gas which was infuriating, especially in corners as you are about to downshift yourself. It would hold at redline, though, so credit there.

I looked at an A6 (2012 I think) which I thought I wanted (love the interior), but on the test drive it upshifted by itself near redline, which is another huge peeve of mine. If you're gonna give a car a 'manual' mode, then don't let it f'ing shift by itself when in manual mode. That's what 'D' is for.

Pretty happy with the G so far. I drive in manual mode literally 95-98% of the time. Being able to throw it in auto if stuck in traffic or if I have to yell at my 2 boys is a nice option to have, haha. Sure I wish it was DCT or a ZF 8-spd (may look towards one of these for my next sedan in a couple years), but at least it always stays in the gear I've chosen and the rev matching blip is

I actually passed on a 6-spd that was 300 miles closer than the car I bought because apparently the manual sedans do not have rear AC vents. Was SHOCKED when I noticed that in pics before going to look at it. No bueno, especially in an upscale marque.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

All the 6MT envy is hilarious.

Driving an auto in manual mode 95-98% of the time??

Just. Get. A. Manual.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Initial B, in terms of the powertrain, I think that the transmission is by far the weakest point. A lot of people have used the term "lazy" when describing it and I think that's very accurate. My biggest gripe with the transmission is its hesitation to downshift. You literally have to floor it in order for it kick down a gear or two whenever you need to make a quick maneuver. It always wants to stay in the highest gear possible and because of that the engine is always bogged down when pressed for power.

I see that you drive in manual mode which obviously helps alleviate those issues but personally I don't have enough confidence in the transmission to use that feature daily. To be completely honest, I don't think Infiniti should have even offered that on the G. The shifts in manual mode are very clunky and I feel like I'm doing more harm than good sometimes so I just leave it in auto. I've mentioned in another thread that you can actually produce quick up-shifts if you drive the car hard but stop and go traffic is definitely not this cars strong suit.