G37 Sedan

Carbon Buildup/Decarbonization Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Carbon Buildup/Decarbonization Service

So, took my car into the dealership this morning to get it diagnosed for the occasional sluggish acceleration. This happens very minimal and I thought my factory warranty was still good for a few more months. Turns out it expired last Wednesday (Jan 4th). My fault for not checking.

So I decided to let them diagnose anyway so that I could have the peace of mind and paying the $155 for that isnt a huge deal to me. I already had the car there and a loaner (Q50) all lined up.

They just called and said they checked everything and they could not find 1 single issue except for carbon buildup and that they highly suggested that I do this maintenance.

It isnt that big of a cost ($220) but is it worth doing? I am not familiar with the process. How much would this improve my driving experience?

In case anyone is wondering, I am at 44k miles.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
well if it isn't a big cost, pay me $150, I'll sea foam it and you'll save around $80.

Seriously though, google/you tube sea foam. Lots and lots of feedback about this product. I've used it in the past with no issues and it seemed to do the trick. Either that or the placebo effect kicked in. Either way, I wouldn't waste my money at the dealership when its the same process for them as it would be for you at home.
The following users liked this post:
James Harden (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
well if it isn't a big cost, pay me $150, I'll sea foam it and you'll save around $80.

Seriously though, google/you tube sea foam. Lots and lots of feedback about this product. I've used it in the past with no issues and it seemed to do the trick. Either that or the placebo effect kicked in. Either way, I wouldn't waste my money at the dealership when its the same process for them as it would be for you at home.
Thanks for the heads up. Ill check that out.

On another note. I like my G37 way better than the Q50.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:49 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
You should tell them to apply the diagnostic fee towards the service or you will think about it first or get it elsewhere. Otherwise not worth the it.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM
BionicG35

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just buy a can of Sea Foam and DIY. Those types of services are very profitable for service departments and they may just be trying to sell you on it.