G37 Sedan

Sedan weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:03 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

Are you referring to the tire weights? If so, it is listed on Tire Rack.
I meant the scale. I'm sure I could find one closer but who knows I may end up near Appleton.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I meant the scale. I'm sure I could find one closer but who knows I may end up near Appleton.
Gotcha. Carew concrete in Appleton. They have 2 scales and they are free to use anytime they are open. I am sure there a bunch of them in Milwaukee too. Usually any truck stop, moving company, or business where trucks haul things by weight will have them. Finding them free to use may be another situation.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Parker Johnson
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37xS brackets

Hello I’m new here and have been following this thread. I bought a 2013 G37xS coupe with 13k miles on it recently. It’s perfect inside and out and has an amazing engine. It’s a 7AT. Thinking about doing weight reduction myself. I took out the rear seats because they are pointless as well as the crap in the trunk. As I see it I lost weight and have much more trunk space now. I think with a lithium battery, light seats, light wheels and tires and a few other things here and there I can shave 200lbs off. No I don’t want a 370Z because the rear end is ugly as sin and because the atessa awd system is awesome especially if supercharged. I already have a nice fast intentions exhaust and test pipes but that’s it. Unfortunately the guy before me put heavy 32lb 20 inch niche wheels on and cheap nangkang tires.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Parker Johnson
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brackets

Does anyone know about the cars brackets underneath that can be removed or replaced with lighter ones? There’s gotta be some replacements that save a good chunk of weight like I mentioned brackets or control arms etc any sort of brace
Old 07-17-2020, 06:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Parker Johnson
Does anyone know about the cars brackets underneath that can be removed or replaced with lighter ones? There’s gotta be some replacements that save a good chunk of weight like I mentioned brackets or control arms etc any sort of brace
Well, you can probably definitely save some weight in the wheel department. A lot of the suspension components on this car are aluminum, but switching to coilovers can save some weight. 200 lbs. is a lot of weight to shave. It can definitely be done, but you will probably need to pull our your carpet, headliner, dash, etc. What are you trying to accomplish with your weight savings?
Old 07-11-2022, 01:05 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So here are the results on an empty tank with everything out of the car. Better than I expected. In talking to Rochester I just remembered that my new Yokohama front tires shaved off another whopping 2 lbs.

Nice! Mine would be the same with an empty tank. Mine weighed 3,460 with 1/4 tank the other day:

The following 4 users liked this post by backman_66:
2.2Lude (09-13-2022), 4DRZ (07-11-2022), projectpanda13 (07-13-2022), SupraOfDoom (07-29-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 09:19 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Alright I need some more ideas for the front of the car. So far I have done:
  • Lightweight Odyssey Battery
  • CF Fenders and CF hood
  • Titanium Test pipes
  • Headers
  • Washer fluid reservoir delete
  • 2 piece rotors
  • Wheels
Still think I've reduced more in the back, however the big old wing I added may keep the weight a bit more balanced front to rear now.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:41 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
I don't know what else you can do besides starting to take out interior stuff
Old 09-13-2022, 10:55 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
  • CF Fenders and CF hood
  • Titanium Test pipes
  • Headers
  • 2 piece rotors
  • Wheels
Still think I've reduced more in the back, however the big old wing I added may keep the weight a bit more balanced front to rear now.
AC delete.
Swap to lighter crash bar.
Lightweight flywheel if MT.
battery relocate to rear.
chase bays brake booster swap.
delete the coolant loop to throttle bodies, and the rear metal lines to only the necessary vacuum hoses.
Some CAI may provide weight reduction.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:24 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 14Q60awdSPORT
AC delete.
Swap to lighter crash bar.
Lightweight flywheel if MT.
battery relocate to rear.
chase bays brake booster swap.
delete the coolant loop to throttle bodies, and the rear metal lines to only the necessary vacuum hoses.
Some CAI may provide weight reduction.
I do have Titanium CAI but I doubt it adds much for weight reduction. I feel like the bash bar is pretty light as is. Battery I just went with a lower weight battery instead, running the cables to the back probably would add more weight. The brake booster swap would be interesting but I already have the Z1 master cylinder brace so probably not going to do that one.

Fly wheel I have planned.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 AM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I do have Titanium CAI but I doubt it adds much for weight reduction. I feel like the bash bar is pretty light as is. Battery I just went with a lower weight battery instead, running the cables to the back probably would add more weight. The brake booster swap would be interesting but I already have the Z1 master cylinder brace so probably not going to do that one.

Fly wheel I have planned.
Aside from an engine delete, not sure what more you are looking for / can do in the front to drop weight besides what I mentioned.
Could swap a couple pulleys I guess.

The battery relocate would probably add about 6lbs overall but this would be spread evenly across front through to rear and be low center of gravity, and it'll shift the weight of the battery to the rear improving front/rear weight distribution.

besides interior delete, seat delete, spare delete getting any real meaningful weight reduction is either very expensive or going to be negligible.
AC deletes usually drop a good 25-30lbs in the front though and is cheap to do, but you do sacrifice AC.

I should have weighed my oem / soho bumper bar. but on my 17' Toyota 86 swapping the bar was a 7lbs reduction.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

• CF Fenders and CF hood
  • Titanium Test pipes
  • Headers
  • 2 piece rotors
  • Wheels
A set of Sparcos (or similar lightweight front seats) and decent coilovers will probably save the most weight if you have not done those already.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Oh yeah, stock seats are stupidly heavy. Sport seats are even heavier!
Old 06-14-2023, 03:32 PM
gomez015
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still there?

Hey, i’m in the process of converting my daily G37 coupe to a time attack/streetable purposed car as well. Last time I corner balanced the car, i was at 3450lbs with 3/4 tank of gas, but i should be around 3350lbs now due to removing passenger seat and replacing driver with sparco pro2000.

How much weight did you save with the carbon fiber hood? I’d like to know if its worth it?

Also, this will add weight, but since this is the only serious performance focused g37 thread i can find, has anyone found a functional rear undertray to diffuser? I’m sure it would be different for the sedan, but still interested. I’ll probably end up building one to fit my single exit exhaust setup. My last track day made me realize how much i was suffering without more rear downforce, but my entire body is stock and i’m not ready to add a wing yet.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Your aluminum hood is already much lighter than steel. The carbon fiber hood will probably save you a few pounds, but definitely not worth the cost for weight reduction due to the fact that you will probably need hood pins minimizing your weight savings. The other issue is fitment. Most of the carbon fiber hoods do not have great fitment. If you move to a carbon fiber hood I would only do it to get more ventilation for the engine. You will notice more reliable performance with better engine cooling than you will by saving a few pounds.

I would go custom for the rear diffuser if you want actual downforce. Everything premade I have seen is pretty tame.

Quick Reply: Sedan weight reduction