G37 Sedan

Sedan weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
FWIW, spray your carpet underside with white vinegar while it is out. Will help keep it from forming mildew. Works on the white insulation too.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
FWIW, spray your carpet underside with white vinegar while it is out. Will help keep it from forming mildew. Works on the white insulation too.
Good to know. My carpet is still wet after a week out of the car.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:10 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a PC680 Odyssey battery. I was going to relocate my other nice AGM battery to the trunk but I don't think its worth the hassle that comes along with it, and my daily G35X could use a new battery anyway. We'll see how I like it.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:38 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I pulled the trigger on a PC680 Odyssey battery. I was going to relocate my other nice AGM battery to the trunk but I don't think its worth the hassle that comes along with it, and my daily G35X could use a new battery anyway. We'll see how I like it.
I say the same thing we location of the battery was something that I contemplated as I do and most of my vehicles however these cars and their compartment takes care of the battery being in the way I do not think it's worth the hassle if anything go with a lighter AGM.
SupraOfDoom (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I'm curious to see what you think and how it works in our winters. How much lighter is it than stock?

Edit: I just looked up that battery. It only has 170CCA?!? Are you just planning to use it in the summer?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:20 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I'm curious to see what you think and how it works in our winters. How much lighter is it than stock?

Edit: I just looked up that battery. It only has 170CCA?!? Are you just planning to use it in the summer?
Yes I put the 6MT away all winter on a battery tender. No winter driving for that car. Battery is 15 lbs.

Sedan weight reduction-rfhrq9hh.jpg
PNW_IPL (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:31 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

An update: I did buy Bride rails but after some test fitting of myself in seats I think these may be more suited for a smaller guy as bigger seats typically don't play well with this bracket. I took a bit of a risk and bought the coupe rails that have been said to work from Braum, as well as some Braum seats. I'll let you guys know how it all works out.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:22 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

An update: I did buy Bride rails but after some test fitting of myself in seats I think these may be more suited for a smaller guy as bigger seats typically don't play well with this bracket. I took a bit of a risk and bought the coupe rails that have been said to work from Braum, as well as some Braum seats. I'll let you guys know how it all works out.
The rails have nothing to do with the size of the seat. It has to deal with the location of the holes in the rails and the seat. Even then, things do not always match up. I had to elongate one hole in each rail set of my Bride rails, even though my Sparco seats had exactly the same dimensions for the hardware down to the millimeter.

I am curious to see how it goes with the coupe rails and Braum seats. I liked the look of the Braum seats and I think they would be great for most street driving. Just don't take them to a track. I was strongly advised by Braum that their seats do not hold up to the g-forces of a track day.
PNW_IPL (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:32 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

The rails have nothing to do with the size of the seat. It has to deal with the location of the holes in the rails and the seat. Even then, things do not always match up. I had to elongate one hole in each rail set of my Bride rails, even though my Sparco seats had exactly the same dimensions for the hardware down to the millimeter.

I am curious to see how it goes with the coupe rails and Braum seats. I liked the look of the Braum seats and I think they would be great for most street driving. Just don't take them to a track. I was strongly advised by Braum that their seats do not hold up to the g-forces of a track day.
Yeah but when I was searching most of the seats I found without elongating stuff were very small. I'm sure I could have kept looking and found a seat that worked but it seemed like my options were a bit more limited. (I took them to 2 performance shops in person)
As far as the Braum seats for racing, I did at least buy their FIA approved seats, which have been tested to be up to snuff. Do they compare to the higher end stuff? Maybe not, but at least it's probably better than their pure sport seats.

Last edited by SupraOfDoom; 02-29-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:07 PM
jdog78
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for starting another awesome thread 4DRZ! Question for you all with your racing seats installed, using OEM seat belts. It occurred to me yesterday that the OEM seat belts are bolted to the stock seats... How are you attaching them to your aftermarket seats/rails? I'll be starting my project in a few weeks. If all goes well, everyone that has a G37 Sedan will have a alternative to Bride rails and more seat options (stay tuned for that)

On another note, installing NonStopTuning Pulleys (or similar) will shave off rotating weight and sprung weight. There was a noticeable different in weight when I did my 3 years back. There wasn't any HP/TQ gains... That's a bunch of BS... But it made my G feel lighter on it's feet.
https://www.nonstoptuning.co/store/p...NST13710K.html

Last edited by jdog78; 03-01-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:26 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
[Engine] pulleys are purely sprung weight.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:16 PM
jdog78
Registered Member

That's right, technically it's a reduction of rotational weight, like a light weight flywheel, flex plate or driveshaft. The alteration was most noticeable at lower speeds / gears. Overall my G felt lighter, it could rev up easier, even at startup. I also have a carbon fiber driveshaft, 3.69 gears and light weight racing wheels. With all those working together, the car feels much lighter and accelerates much quicker from a dead stop. It's not as much noticeable at higher speeds. Anyway, I will post some pics of my racing seats / brackets when I get them in a few weeks and how to order them. My fully loaded journey should be down to under 3600 pounds with full tank of gas and everything in it

Last edited by jdog78; 03-01-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah but when I was searching most of the seats I found without elongating stuff were very small. I'm sure I could have kept looking and found a seat that worked but it seemed like my options were a bit more limited. (I took them to 2 performance shops in person)
As far as the Braum seats for racing, I did at least buy their FIA approved seats, which have been tested to be up to snuff. Do they compare to the higher end stuff? Maybe not, but at least it's probably better than their pure sport seats.
I did not have to elongate anything on the seat. The RAILS were what needed to be modified. As long as the mounting hole locations for the seat and rails have the same measurement (usually in mm) everything should bolt up. Usually it is by the brand of seat, not the size of the seat that changes the mounting hole measurements. For example, I believe all of the Sparco seats have the same mounting hole measurements, but they vary greatly in size.

I didn't realize you were going with fixed back Braum seats. Let me know how that works for you for daily driving getting in and out of every day. Hopefully, it is not too bad. How is it going with the coupe rails? Any luck?

Originally Posted by jdog78
Thanks for starting another awesome thread 4DRZ! Question for you all with your racing seats installed, using OEM seat belts. It occurred to me yesterday that the OEM seat belts are bolted to the stock seats... How are you attaching them to your aftermarket seats/rails? I'll be starting my project in a few weeks. If all goes well, everyone that has a G37 Sedan will have a alternative to Bride rails and more seat options (stay tuned for that)

On another note, installing NonStopTuning Pulleys (or similar) will shave off rotating weight and sprung weight. There was a noticeable different in weight when I did my 3 years back. There wasn't any HP/TQ gains... That's a bunch of BS... But it made my G feel lighter on it's feet.
https://www.nonstoptuning.co/store/p...NST13710K.html
Hey, no problem. I answered your seat belt question in my other thread that you asked the same question.

At the top of this thread you will see that the Stillen crank pulley shaves off 4 lbs. without being under-driven. (Don't do under-driven (smaller) pulleys unless you want your headlights to dim when you idle.) You will never notice that weight difference, but like a lightened flywheel you will feel it rev faster because there is less weight to spin. You would never notice more HP or TQ on a dyno, but it does free up power that you would normally lose from the excess weight of the oem pulley.

Originally Posted by jdog78
That's right, technically it's a reduction of rotational weight, like a light weight flywheel, flex plate or driveshaft. The alteration was most noticeable at lower speeds / gears. Overall my G felt lighter, it could rev up easier, even at startup. I also have a carbon fiber driveshaft, 3.69 gears and light weight racing wheels. With all those working together, the car feels much lighter and accelerates much quicker from a dead stop. It's not as much noticeable at higher speeds. Anyway, I will post some pics of my racing seats / brackets when I get them in a few weeks and how to order them. My fully loaded journey should be down to under 3600 pounds with full tank of gas and everything in it
You have a carbon fiber driveshaft on a sedan? Who makes that? I have been looking for one of those, but only see it for the coupe.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:52 PM
jdog78
Registered Member

I did not have to elongate anything on the seat. The RAILS were what needed to be modified. As long as the mounting hole locations for the seat and rails have the same measurement (usually in mm) everything should bolt up. Usually it is by the brand of seat, not the size of the seat that changes the mounting hole measurements. For example, I believe all of the Sparco seats have the same mounting hole measurements, but they vary greatly in size.

I didn't realize you were going with fixed back Braum seats. Let me know how that works for you for daily driving getting in and out of every day. Hopefully, it is not too bad. How is it going with the coupe rails? Any luck?

Hey, no problem. I answered your seat belt question in my other thread that you asked the same question.

At the top of this thread you will see that the Stillen crank pulley shaves off 4 lbs. without being under-driven. (Don't do under-driven (smaller) pulleys unless you want your headlights to dim when you idle.) You will never notice that weight difference, but like a lightened flywheel you will feel it rev faster because there is less weight to spin. You would never notice more HP or TQ on a dyno, but it does free up power that you would normally lose from the excess weight of the oem pulley.

You have a carbon fiber driveshaft on a sedan? Who makes that? I have been looking for one of those, but only see it for the coupe.
I had one custom made at https://www.driveshaftpro.com/whittier, ask for Adrian. He should still have the measures in their system. Part number is 3191-318CF.
SupraOfDoom (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 05:41 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

I didn't mean modifying the seats I meant rails, as you meant. Either way, I still have them, and when I get my seats in I can actually visualize what it could take to get a larger seat working with them. I haven't got the seats or coupe brackets yet but I'll update when I do. Yeah they are fixed seats but this is not a daily driver really only take it out for shows/meets/ and eventually track/course, so I'm okay with a little difficulty.

Quick Reply: Sedan weight reduction