G37 Sedan

Optima optum red top battery install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 AM
tsb
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Optima optum red top battery install

i just installed a new red top in my 2010 G (oem still working after 6 years but sluggish in cold mornings).

it's far from a perfect fit. the battery is much smaller than oem - the height is too short and the width is too narrow for the oem tie down. the included spacer fixed the height issue.

i had to bend the hold down to fit properly - i simply bent the tie down in the center to make it fit the more narrow red top. when i tighten the tie down the contact points pulled into position just find. The hold down adjustment is not an issue but the battery is far from plug and play.

The red top is not as long as the oem which is a good thing. the oem was jammed up against a electrical connector.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:22 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
yeah, the spacer worked fine for the height issue on my install. i was surprised since i expected batteries in that class to be uniform. i didn't have to bend anything though, and no issues with the X-Y dimensions.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 239 Posts
i dont think it has to fit perfect with the tie down just as long as its bolted down its not gonna move imo
Old 11-23-2016, 08:11 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I have the redtop for my sedan as well. I bought a universal adjustable tie down from O'Reilly's. It works pretty well, think it costed like $6.

The redtop will save you about 8 lbs over the OEM battery, so I am not complaining.