G37 Sedan

Headers and Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:42 PM
brian1194

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers and Steering Wheel

Wondering if anyone knows which headers are going to be a perfect fit out of the box for a 2012 G37xS sedan. Also, has anyone had their steering wheel leather changed and restitched? Mine wore out.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:40 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Redlinegoods.com for wheel wrap

Last edited by tank99; 12-28-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
You already have headers. So if you're new to the car, and assume a set of aftermarket headers would be the go-to power mod, might want to rethink things. I'm pretty sure Stillen is good fitment, really based on nothing except hearsay over the years, which could be completely wrong. Anyway, you might have better luck finding answers to headers in the Intake & Exhaust forum. Header swaps are rare in the Sedan forum, or at least rarely discussed.

And +1 on RedlineGoods for leather products.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-20-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
I have the Stillen headers and still have fitmet issues. On a hard right hand turn it will rub and cause vibrations. Stillen offered to send out new set but it would take 3 weeks to get here and I would have to pay to get it re-installed. They wouldn't cover any of the cost. Stillen's over all quality from things I've bought over the years is 50/50.
Haven't bought anything from them since. Pretty sure Stillen is the only option for a x. Z1 will not fit on an x. I went with the ceramic ones, but as mentioned above not the best power adder for the money cost me around $600 for install. Also changes sound keep that in mind.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:36 PM
James Osumah
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You already have headers. So if you're new to the car, and assume a set of aftermarket headers would be the go-to power mod, might want to rethink things. I'm pretty sure Stillen is good fitment, really based on nothing except hearsay over the years, which could be completely wrong. Anyway, you might have better luck finding answers to headers in the Intake & Exhaust forum. Header swaps are rare in the Sedan forum, or at least rarely discussed.

And +1 on RedlineGoods for leather products.
I really enjoy your posts and taste in your mods. So in advance just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me for many of my mods.
Now I have seen a holiday sale on headers..I am new person in this aspect of modding so why exactly shouldn't we change them and what would be the benefits of us changing the headers (i.e. sound, HP...)
Old 12-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by James Osumah
I really enjoy your posts and taste in your mods. So in advance just wanted to say thank you for inspiring me for many of my mods.
Awesome. Thanks for making my day.

Originally Posted by James Osumah
Now I have seen a holiday sale on headers..I am new person in this aspect of modding so why exactly shouldn't we change them and what would be the benefits of us changing the headers (i.e. sound, HP...)
Header swaps are relatively rare on this forum, probably because people feel the gains in aftermarket shorties aren't worth the cost, and long tube headers would negate the cats. If you're new to modding your car, good advice would be to start with something else.

But hey, the heart wants what the heart wants.

If you do this, we'd sure like to read about it.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're new to modding your car, good advice would be to start with something else.
Way to ease him on the shaft bro.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The ceramic coated DC headers I got from ConceptZPerformance fit my sedan perfectly, but I am not sure if you will have fitment issues with AWD since mine is RWD. I agree with Rochester that this should probably not be your first mod as the install is very time consuming and not a simple bolt on modification. If you are just trying to gain some power and more exhaust noise, I would do a catback exhaust 1st.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
From past experience, DC Headers have had the most consistent HP. You can get one that will have more top end power, but how often are you at 7000 rpm. The fitment should be as perfect as it can be as well.

I had a set of used headers on a past car. It was funny, they were tested. They made 3hp more than the DC on top, but actually lost hp at regular speeds. When you did go near read line you did feel it thought.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Quick, bolt on mods that might register higher on the butt dyno would be cat-back exhaust and intake. HFCs are also bolt on, but less quick (one bolt in particular per cat is nicknamed The Demon Bolt, and for good reason in my experience). If you browse the user classifieds, these things come up regularly as folks are upgrading, or returning to stock to as leases expire, etc.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
best bang for your buck performance mod in my opinion is sway bars. Makes it handle so much better, no extra power, but you can use it better :-)

My 2 cents. I'd also second the exhaust comments.

From what I've seen the performance gains of headers isn't worth the headache or the expense, as we have very limited options with AWD.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Hey OP- what is your reasoning behind headers? Do you want more power or sound? Or did you see that headers are cheaper than a cat back exhuast and figured you would do that first?