G37 Sedan

Gas station pump stops before tank is full

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas station pump stops before tank is full

For the last couple of times when i have stopped for gas now, i have noticed that the pump will stop before full, right around half a tank to be exact....i'm not so sure its an issue with the car... the most recent occurence, after only half tank was filled, i left and came back 30 minutes later and the pump worked just fine and filled the tank to full. So this is a first for me and have never had this issue before, anyone know what the cause or problem could be?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:25 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Mine does this too. Sometimes it stops at the half mark from 3/4 to full. Othertimes it shows above the F
Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the issue, but, only at some pumps.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I think it has to do with the length and curvature of the nozzle. Try reorienting the nozzle in relation to the fill pipe.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
It is not the car... Don't shove the nozzle all the way in.
Put it all the way in and then pull it out 1/2" - 1" and all will be fine.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:04 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Flip the pump handle upside down or even sideways. This works for me at a pump that gives me issues.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bingpwr
Flip the pump handle upside down or even sideways. This works for me at a pump that gives me issues.
You should never do this as you risk over-filling the car due to the design of the gas pump and the location of the sensor that shuts off the pump.

See explanation here:

As for OP, as SonicVQ mentioned, don't force the nozzle all the way in, when you do this the gas can end up splashing on the fill tube, or foaming too fast [filling up a glass using a funnel] for the air to escape, and it triggers the shut off.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:44 PM
ajmr2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed the same thing after I bought my 2008 G37S in April. I read about pulling the rear seats and going into the tank. Yikes! But I found that if I filled it too fast or used the pump's flow lock on max flow, it shuts off less than 3/4 full. If I pump at half speed till I hear the gurgling and then slow the flow, it fills up no problem. It's worth the extra minute. I just kinda stand there admiring the car. haha
AJ
Old 11-15-2016, 06:24 PM
deeliciousqueen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine would only do this at costco pumps lol, regardless of the location and even if I slightly insert in an angle it still clicks early and stopped.

My car literally told me he hates costco gas, I found out when I went to Shell and Chevron and never had that issue again. Picky....
Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
Mine would only do this at costco pumps lol, regardless of the location and even if I slightly insert in an angle it still clicks early and stopped.

My car literally told me he hates costco gas, I found out when I went to Shell and Chevron and never had that issue again. Picky....
funny, Costco is the only place i get my gas, maybe its just their pumps/nozzles??
Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 PM
deeliciousqueen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I only go costco to fill up my dd, for the G been using shell. I also noticed the difference with acceleration.

Try other gas station that's not costco n see if it still does the same.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:48 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^Better or worse?
Old 11-16-2016, 12:09 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by C1Forged
You should never do this as you risk over-filling the car due to the design of the gas pump and the location of the sensor that shuts off the pump.

See explanation here:
How Does a Gas Nozzle Know When to Shut Off?

As for OP, as SonicVQ mentioned, don't force the nozzle all the way in, when you do this the gas can end up splashing on the fill tube, or foaming too fast [filling up a glass using a funnel] for the air to escape, and it triggers the shut off.
Damn, good to know. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM
08STLX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah props on the vid! I love that stuff. I have had it happen a few times to me where it just shuts off so I go old school and pump it my manually squeezing the handle but normally that doesn't work. Based on the vid probably would have to do with that diaphragm.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had an issue with a couple pumps around town where it'll give me a half gallon and click off, just like when the tanks full and you're topping it off, but it's clearly not full. Other gas stations, fills like it should. I just avoid the one's that have given me problems in the past. Not sure what the deal is with it.