G37 Sedan

Is an extended warranty worth it/ how reliable is the G37S sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Is an extended warranty worth it/ how reliable is the G37S sedan?

The electronics part of the warranty for my car is up in March, but I would still have powertrain warranty left. I can get a good extended warranty for my car for probably $1,300-$2,000 depending on the coverage through work.

I normally do not get extended warranties because I either do not keep the car long enough or it is performance oriented so the electronic gizmos are at a minimum.

I like the G37S sedan and think I may keep it a while. It is only the second car I have ever had with navigation, memory power seats, sunroof, etc. So it has a lot of stuff that could go wrong. However, I work with Nissans on a daily basis that hardly have any issues so I am not sure I would use the warranty.

Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:23 PM
valdaviper1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I honestly don't think you need one. On the forums and the FB pages it is very very rare to have anything electronic or interior or even mechanical fail on the car. I've had 3 G37's without any issues, 08 coupe, 13, and 12, all 6mt models. The most common issues I've seen are sunroof drains getting clogged and thus water soaking floorboard, early year differential/axle leaks, and interior trim pieces like wheel and doors getting scratched or have paint peel. I haven't had any of these except the water soaking on my 08. Even if something breaks it's such a common car that parts are quite easy to find. My replacement ISF I just picked up I sprung for a full warranty, but it's an 08 and pretty much anything powertrain is $$$ to replace.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I usually pass on extended warranties, but opted for the Infiniti warranty when I bought out my lease as I'm now planning to keep the car longer than expected. The warranty was ~1300.

I recently had the clock replaced (light was burned out) and backup camera fixed (faulty connection) under the warranty, which was my first claim. I paid the $100 deductible instead of the 600 bill.

One catch though....say something big brakes--like the clutch slave cylinder--the new part is covered by a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. If it goes out in after that window, it won't be covered.

My rear differential bushing is blown, a common issue, and this is what the dealer told me. I'm going to replace it with the whiteline bushing and skip the claim, so it will be ~400 instead of 100.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:27 PM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the Infiniti Elite warranty is worth it. I'm at 52k miles and have had to get my brake booster replaced (over 1k job) and the clock replaced which the clock alone is over $350. I have a zero dollar deductible so i never pay a cent.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was a little leary of the nav system having issues down the road because unlike standard double din units, I cannot just replace it with something more modern. I have seen people selling the units used fairly inexpensively though.

The other thing that made me think of it was when I had a short, but loud squeal coming from the car on start up that was hard to diagnose. Everything was covered under warranty, but they replaced the belt tensioner, belt, slave cylinder, etc, before they replaced the defective starter. It would have been over $3k in parts and labor if I did not have a warranty.

That's a good point rsinger about the zero deductible. I would definitely do that. If I had $100 deductible when they replaced the starter that would have cost me quite a good deal because I had to bring it back multiple times. Or maybe if it is the same issue they don't require you to keep paying a deductible for misdiagnosis.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I would get it. My g has been back to the dealer 4 times in 6 months for anything ranging from steering column motor burned out, steering column switch broken, and 2 door locks not working/making noise. My car had 27k miles when I got it and was a CPO.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM
chopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two data points

I just used mine on my 2010 Journey to replace both of the external mirrors about a month ago. I also bought the $0 deductible so there was no charge. However, I understand the mirrors are about $750 each. I got the warranty on a special deal so it paid for itself on this one repair. It did surprise me that the two mirrors failed in only 28000 miles, but that's what happened.

FWIW, I also bought an extended warranty on my former Saturn LW300 station wagon. The dealer had to replace the steering rack (it started leaking; how often does that happen?) and that repair alone exceeded the cost of the extended warranty.

I usually don't buy extended warranties, especially on electronics, but sometimes it pays off.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I've had my alternator, radiator, thermostat, engine, wheel bearings replaced all within a year from 25k to 51k miles. Motor was probably replaced under power train warranty and other parts under Infiniti elite! I have zero deductible so you can see how much I have saved
Old 11-11-2016, 01:26 AM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I've had my alternator, radiator, thermostat, engine, wheel bearings replaced all within a year from 25k to 51k miles. Motor was probably replaced under power train warranty and other parts under Infiniti elite! I have zero deductible so you can see how much I have saved
That's quite a list. What year of your car and what happened to the engine?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I also have the Infiniti Elite warranty, bought at 58k and now @ 101k and have had,
both axles, both headlights( Condensation) rear links, drivers mid range speaker( Twice!) shifter sensor, car would not stay in M or DS mode, both front wheel bearings. For was well worth it. As the warranty has paid for itself already. If you plan on keeping it I'd get it.
Mine runs out at 118k.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I was facing the exact same considerations two years ago as you are now. And to be honest, it could have gone either way, but in the end I decided to pass, and roll the dice with the only other known, big-ticket failure that could happen with my car (the rear timing gasket.) But that's a non-worry for your 2013. And since my CSC already failed while under warranty, and I take what I like to think is exceptional care and maintenance with the car... with low miles up to now and expected in the foreseeable future... I passed on the warranty.

My advice is more so to you personally than it is in general. You know cars much more than most, you do your research, and it doesn't seem like you're an idiot. I don't think you need it.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:11 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Are you sure about the 13's not have the rear gasket issue. Isn't there one on here with a 13?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...t-failure.html
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rsingerG37
That's quite a list. What year of your car and what happened to the engine?
2011 and engine kept over heating at idle on high temperature days in AZ. First they changed the thermostat, then took it back and changed the radiator. After the radiator the engine still overheated they left it for a day and decided to do the head gaskets so I was like okay. After head gaskets still overheated and got approved from Infiniti for a new engine. It was such a mess I had no idea why but it happened. I was glad they were able to work with me in so happy i had zero deductible I took it so many times
Old 11-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Bdub08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Better Safe than sorry. My G is a 08 but i have a warranty as well i never used. I thought about canceling it since the car was trouble free all this time. This week i almost had to use it due to thinking my Oil Gallery Gasket blew but it turned out my car needed a new computer program. Im glad im still covered another year. Better safe than sorry my friend. You just NEVER know with Nissan cars or ANY car for that matter.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
2011 and engine kept over heating at idle on high temperature days in AZ. First they changed the thermostat, then took it back and changed the radiator. After the radiator the engine still overheated they left it for a day and decided to do the head gaskets so I was like okay. After head gaskets still overheated and got approved from Infiniti for a new engine. It was such a mess I had no idea why but it happened. I was glad they were able to work with me in so happy i had zero deductible I took it so many times
If you keep bringing it back for the same issue that was not fixed, I don't believe they charge you a deductible again. I suppose it depends on the warranty company too.

I'm still on the fence a bit. Like any car it seems like things do go wrong with the G37S sedan, but not a ton considering how much tech the car has. I am pretty handy and can fix most things myself. At the same time, I can get a pretty good deal on the warranty through work and get money back if I ever sell the car. Hmm...

Quick Reply: Is an extended warranty worth it/ how reliable is the G37S sedan?