G37 Sedan

Template for rear badge and lettering? Or other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:40 AM
08STLX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Template for rear badge and lettering? Or other suggestions?

I had this idea about painting the Infiniti logo, letters and numbers in black when I saw an Audi S4 rocking them a couple weeks back.

Then I saw FastEddie's post and fell in love
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...od-page-2.html

If I take those off to paint them can I put them back in the same spot without too much work? I am OCD about that crap.

I know I can leave the glue on there and realign that way but I really want to clay bar in those little spots in between.

Eddie used plasti but now that I think about it, that may not do well when I wax the car. I am open to any other suggestions! Don't want anything shiney. I love that matte look but it also likes to show any oil/debris too!

Thanks all.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:05 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Do you have access to a projector? You could either take a picture, project onto the car, or make a template to project. Otherwise, maybe use a laser level and a chalk line for a top and bottom line, and before removing the letters, hold a piece of paper, or a paper bag under the letters, touching the bottom of them, and make a pencil mark in the paper at each place the letters touch it. That should help with your left-right alignment.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by 08STLX
I had this idea about painting the Infiniti logo, letters and numbers in black when I saw an Audi S4 rocking them a couple weeks back.

Then I saw FastEddie's post and fell in love
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...od-page-2.html

If I take those off to paint them can I put them back in the same spot without too much work? I am OCD about that crap.

I know I can leave the glue on there and realign that way but I really want to clay bar in those little spots in between.

Eddie used plasti but now that I think about it, that may not do well when I wax the car. I am open to any other suggestions! Don't want anything shiney. I love that matte look but it also likes to show any oil/debris too!

Thanks all.
I did this yesterday. Use painter's tape and make a square around the badge. When you re-apply the badge, you have a perfect square on where to align it.

I'd suggest removing the factory adhesive, and reapplying 3M adhesive to the badge once you are done painting.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 AM
08STLX

Cool thanks, all! Clever idea with the projector too.

MaQ, did you paint yours or what did you do?
Old 10-02-2016, 04:49 PM
vmastros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you use the plastic dip spray. You can mask off a box around the items, spray and then you can pull the plastic dip off the paint and it will stay on the logos. I did it it's not too difficult. I used a toothpick to pull off the plastic dip that was on the paint; no problems. I have a black car, so I did the spoiler too. The spoiler came out a little blotchy. But I like it anyway.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by 08STLX
Cool thanks, all! Clever idea with the projector too.

MaQ, did you paint yours or what did you do?
I used a product called AutoDip and painted it. It is a high gloss peelable paint. I highly recommend it. It's a bit pricey but you can use it on projects such as your grille, mirrors, etc. Even if you use plastidip with glossifier, it will still have a matte appearance.

Autodip | The world's first sprayable vinyl wrap

Originally Posted by vmastros
If you use the plastic dip spray. You can mask off a box around the items, spray and then you can pull the plastic dip off the paint and it will stay on the logos. I did it it's not too difficult. I used a toothpick to pull off the plastic dip that was on the paint; no problems. I have a black car, so I did the spoiler too. The spoiler came out a little blotchy. But I like it anyway.
My friend did that and I took off the badge. Trust me, take off the badge. It will be quicker.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:46 AM
08STLX

Right on, thanks fellas!