G37 Sedan

Dealership won't assume responsibility, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 PM
el_donks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dealership won't assume responsibility, please advise.

Back in June, I was rear-ended while at a stand still. I contacted insurance and instead of going through one of their recommended repair shops, chose my own place of employment (a non-Infiniti dealership). They fixed most of the damages but unfortunately did their own damages in the process. I have approached them about correcting their mistakes, which they had attempted on a few things, but a few repairs are still not near perfect. I originally planned on having insurance issue the check directly to me but the amount of repair warranted the dealership as co-recipient. I ended up signing it just to get my car out of their hands, since I was anxious to get the car back and didn't trust them with it any longer.

I noticed, just the other day, that I have floorboards rising on both driver and passenger sides. After a brief inspection under the vehicle, it looks like they either jacked/lifted the car on the frame braces that run right next to the converter/Y-Pipe junctions. Some of the weatherproofing is missing at those spots and the floorboard humps are directly above them. I had spoken earlier today with both the service manager and body shop manager about this issue. They both treated it like the car must be rotting or that the damage is something that I had inflicted, instead of assuming responsibility for their own error

Who should I reach out to at this point? My insurance company? The local Infiniti dealer? BBB? My head is spinning on the matter and some outside insight would be of great use with setting me on the right track. It really sucks that I can't even trust my own co-workers on this one.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
you can contact your insurance to have them inspect your car. but usually that is only for the damages in that initial incident.

how long ago was the repairs done? i assume that you dont have photos of before and after. without evidence that the damage was done in their shop. i am not sure what you can do. call your insurance adjuster for that incident and ask them what can be done. see if there is some recourse they can take.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:05 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by el_donks
Back in June, I was rear-ended while at a stand still. I contacted insurance and instead of going through one of their recommended repair shops, chose my own place of employment (a non-Infiniti dealership). They fixed most of the damages but unfortunately did their own damages in the process.
Big mistake!

You should have listened to your insurance company.
They deal with accidents every day.
If you are so unhappy with your vehicle get another one and use the experience as a lesson learned.

Telcoman
Old 09-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Sad to say you're probably kind of screwed here. Since its your own place of employment its unlikely any of the normally recommended recourses will work.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
As they say, Don't #2 where you eat...
The following users liked this post:
el_donks (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Since you work at the place that screwed up your car, you're in a pickle. The insurance company might be able to put some pressure on them to correct the damage. But then you might risk issues with your employment.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:34 PM
el_donks

You all basically confirmed my fear in this predicament, there's hardly any chance that the issue will be corrected since they are my employer. My direct supervisor had warned me before that they're not too quick to help employees out. I could go as far as taking the car to Infiniti, having them give a specific diagnosis on the damage, then bring the report to my place of work but... that still probably wouldn't get my anywhere. It sucks that I cannot even trust them with properly placing my car on a lift or jack. Looks like it's time to break out a 2x4 and 5 lbs hammer, as others have suggested with the floorboards.

(That's me and the floorboard).
Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
is this a used back alley car lot or a competing new car dealership?

I can't possibly imagine wtf you were thinking in making these choices but I'm guessing you won't do it again.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM
el_donks

Originally Posted by IracknBack
is this a used back alley car lot or a competing new car dealership?

I can't possibly imagine wtf you were thinking in making these choices but I'm guessing you won't do it again.
It's a "legitimate" new car dealership. Definitely some lessons learned in this, mainly to not to use my own place of employment for repairs. Secondly, to take photos covering every inch of the interior and exterior after a collision (hopefully that never happens again). They were actually rather willing to help repair their other goofs, however, the workmanship fell a bit flat of exceptional (some swirl marks by masking their scratches, built up paint bubbles in creases, and now my raised floorboards). I can't help but be a perfectionist with a car that was once perfect to me.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

The thought of you filing a BBB dispute with the offending dealership, aka your employer, just screams to be televised on Judge Judy or similar.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:33 PM
el_donks

Originally Posted by Ryne
The thought of you filing a BBB dispute with the offending dealership, aka your employer, just screams to be televised on Judge Judy or similar.
It certainly isn't a route that I was hoping to take, nor will I go with, but wasn't sure if that was perhaps the proper way to proceed. It would be pretty funny to go face to face with the owner on some inane television show, since he constantly blanks on my name. The man knows what my name is, when speaking with my immediate co-workers, but just cannot address me directly with the correct name It really goes to show how valued I am as an employee.

Last edited by el_donks; 09-13-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by el_donks
It certainly isn't a route that I was hoping to take, nor will I go with, but wasn't sure if that was perhaps the proper way to proceed. It would pretty funny to go face to face with the owner on some inane television show, since he constantly blanks on my name. The man knows what my name is, when speaking with my immediate co-workers, but just cannot address me directly with the correct name It really goes to show how valued I am as an employee.
Brush up the resume and stick it to them then...
Old 09-13-2016, 05:51 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This is the reason why I don't trust anyone with my car. I do all the work from my own garage or call a "friend" so we can tackle the issue on hand together.

Have way too many bad experiences. No one will ever treat your car as you would treat it.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM
el_donks

Originally Posted by 2011-G
This is the reason why I don't trust anyone with my car. I do all the work from my own garage or call a "friend" so we can tackle the issue on hand together.

Have way too many bad experiences. No one will ever treat your car as you would treat it.
If it were just the bumper cover, I definitely would've went the DIY route on installation. Sadly though, almost everything behind the back seats had to be replaced. It's fine though... I'll fix the flooring as best I can then hold work grudges against anyone who wouldn't help me out
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
I work in the service department at a dealership. The managers of my service department do not get along with our collision center (body shop) lol.

Quick Reply: Dealership won't assume responsibility, please advise.