G37 Sedan

New G37x owner...with a big comfort problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:51 PM
SeanC77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New G37x owner...with a big comfort problem.

Hello,

About a month ago I purchased a 2012 G37x w/52k miles. I had been looking at these cars for some time and never had any problems on any test drives, including the one on the vehicle I bought. Which brings me to my issue.

Although all seemed well on the test drives, when it came time for my 50 minutes each way backroad commute to work, I find that I can't get comfortable. No matter how I adjust the seat or play with the lumbar(which feels as though it's too low and just puts pressure on rather than helping), I can' get comfortable. 20 minutes into the ride I'm looking forward to the end of it. The pain is in my lower back, as well as the back of my hipline, and also my butt as if the seat it too firm, sciatica maybe?

I may have never in my life before this owned, perhaps even ridden in, a car with such an uncomfortable seat. I enjoy the car otherwise, but if I can't get this figured out it'll probably have to go. So I'm here seeking advice from anyone who has had a similar problem and how they may have solved it. I hate the thought of having to use some kind of cushion, but I've been trying and trying to give the thing a chance hoping I'd just need time to get used to it. I've searched around and it seems like people often have trouble with the sport seats, but I haven't found much posted about the journey seats.

Again, the car is a 2012 G37x, non sport.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and my apologies for what I now see has turned into a rather long-winded first post.

-Sean
Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Hi Sean, welcome to the site, sorry that your first post isn't on a better note

If this is truly the only seat that's given you problems maybe taking it to an auto upholstery shop will help, might be worth asking a pro in the business what they would recommend as I'm sure they have helped others in their line of work. I think that's what I'd do prior to giving up what seems to be a car that you really like otherwise.
G/L sir.

FWIW our 09 (without sport seats) w/ 85k miles has very comfortable seats, at least IMO, and I've had a history of back issues. Our 07 G35 had the same seats as well and zero comfort problems. We go on many long road trips (over 1500 miles) several times a year and never felt bad after the drives vs. other cars we've owned.

I would have bought the S model G in both cases but my wife couldn't get comfortable in the Sport seats as they are a bit more confining and firm.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
To the OP, what are you dimensions? That may shed some light on what might be at issue.

I'm 6' #200 (and dropping). Done 500-700 mi day trips in the car. While tired at the end, I can't say I was hurting. I do think the sport seats are a little more bolstered than regular journey so perhaps more supportive.

Really, you need to try to determine where the issue is. Is it lack of padding in certain areas, general seat shape?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:14 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're not liking the seats

I'm actually surprised bc I went from non sport seats to sport seats in my coupe and I must say even though the sport seats look great they can definitely be a bit uncomfortable, but as for the non sport seats they were insanely comfortable for me. This is actually the first time I've ever read anybody ever complain about the discomfort on a non sport seat. I would take blnewt's advice and going to an upholstery shop bc they tend to work miracles sometimes.

This might be a weird request but try to snap a few pictures of the seat itself bc I can't possibly imagine anybody ever complaining about their comfort. I feel as if it might be an issue maybe with thay specific seat? Have you tried sitting in the passenger seat and seeing if you still feel the discomfort?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 AM
SeanC77

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try having my wife drive the next time we go on a trip somewhere and sit in the passenger seat to see if there's a difference, good idea. She actually hasn't been in the car yet, so her first time might be as driver.

As far as I go, I'm 5'9" 170lbs, so I am not unusually dimensioned and usually fit fine in anything. I do get back pain from time to time due to my career as a machinist and standing for 10 hour shifts the last 21 years or so and I can't attribute it to end of the day discomfort totally because I've been having this discomfort on my way in to work as well.

I haven't in a while, but I was also lifting weights(deadlifts/bench/ other compound lifts) and practicing martial arts , so I'm in basically in good shape with no odd ailments or physical issues. I think part of the problem for me is the firmness of the seat, I'm coming out of an 8 year run with an '05 Subaru Outback XT with a cloth interior and the seats in this seem quite a bit harder? Which confuses me for a luxury car.

-Sean
Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Rewsta
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new to my G37 as well and experienced some back problem for the first few weeks on my 1 hour drive to work. But it seems to have gone away now and I find the car comfortable. At first, I thought it was the bolsters because I have the sport seats combined with my big butt. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and had back surgery just over a year ago.

Maybe give it a bit more time to get use to it?
I find now that after driving my G for 2 months, I cant get comfortable in my wife's SUV because the seats arent firm enough or bolstered.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:06 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
I had trouble at first until I found the adjustable thigh bolster. For daily drives I don't notice the seat at all now. Only long drives make me squirm but that's expected when sitting in a chair for three hours.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:23 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
To the OP, what are you dimensions? That may shed some light on what might be at issue...

and your age...
Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 AM
SeanC77

Originally Posted by micafd3s
and your age...
I'm 39.

I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs.

Sean
Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Herbicider

i have a 2012 G37x and my wife has a 2010 G37x, both are sedans.
I have the same problem with lower lumbar pain as well. I found it is because the lumbar support was too low for my height (5'9, 180lb, asian) and while turning the heavy steering wheel i have to use my lower back as a support point (a nicely fit seat should hold you still in the seat, like my old subaru did T_T. In the G37 i can swing to left and right in the seat).
What helped me a little was firstly not using the lumbar support at all, elevate the seat front to firmly pushing my thighs. Secondly try my best not to use lumbar as a support point while turning the wheel (very important! G37 steering wheel is heavy, doing so would definitely ruin your lower back). I tried many many seat positions, not sure if i have a bad driving posture or the G37 seat just isn't for me.
It took me a while to get use to the new driving position/posture, but that helped me with the lower back pain sometimes.... I was ok driving 150mi from Milwaukee to Door County a month ago without a problem, BUT i had the pain again a week ago driving 100mi from Milwaukee to Madison.
I wish my experience would help.
Take home message, pay attention to you support point while you turn the steering wheel, especially when turn and gas/brake at the same time. (we are engaging drivers with a G37 :-P)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
To each his own. Sorry that's not much help.

I have a '13 Sport Coupe and this is by far the most comfortable seat I've driven in.
Had a QX4, currently have a FX35 and a Nismo Juke.

The G37 sport seat holds me like it was tailored. I'm over 6'2" and 250lbs an have an hour daily commute each way.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
My build is similar to your, albeit I'm only 155lbs, but I get some back pain after an hour or so of driving. Lower back pain is mainly caused by the hips rotating backwards and tugging on the muscles in your lumbar back while shortening your hamstrings. You should try making the seat more upright and move closer to the wheel. Focus on pushing your hips all the way back to the crease in the seat and make sure that your lumbar back is straight, if not slightly flexed. Adjusting the angle of the back rest, rather than just the lumbar support, will ensure this. I also find it helpful to contract my core from time to time to keep my posture in check, since it's easy to inch your butt forward on leather.

This could also be a good reason to swap the seat out for recaros...
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm 5'9" 153 and I find the sport seats to be perfect. I make sure to have the thigh support extended and the bolsters all the way in. Hugs me perfectly and keeps me comfy for hours. Oddly enough my gf who is 5'6" 110 finds them uncomfortable compared to her BMW.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
My build is similar to your, albeit I'm only 155lbs, ...
Ha! For a second there I thought you were talking to me, and I was all ORLY?!?
Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Ha! For a second there I thought you were talking to me, and I was all ORLY?!?
If we stood next to each other, we practically look like twins!

Quick Reply: New G37x owner...with a big comfort problem.