G37 Sedan

Ever hear something rolling around inside a body panel occasionally in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:41 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
lol! happy ending finally. that's pretty funny
Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I'm predisposed to tease you for being so obsessive, but fact is that I'm genuinely impressed.

Clark Griswald's got nothing on you, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:08 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is there an award for "Most entertaining thread 2016"?
Old 11-25-2016, 05:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
lol! happy ending finally. that's pretty funny
Originally Posted by SomeName
Is there an award for "Most entertaining thread 2016"?
I am glad my suffering can bring all of you laughter. Haha! The car sounded like a damn pinball machine every time I went around a corner. I thought I was going to go insane, but instead I just became an alcoholic trying to cope. Fair trade. lol

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm predisposed to tease you for being so obsessive, but fact is that I'm genuinely impressed.

Clark Griswald's got nothing on you, man.

It did literally sound like many "Italian twinkle lights" sliding around when cornering. So glad that driving my car no longer reminds me of Chinese water torture.
The following users liked this post:
limequat (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, kudos, to you 4DRZ.

I still have my noise, wasn't able to find anything in driver's side HVAC vent.
Do you have pics of where you were fishing in the frame rail?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:31 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I heard a thunk on a hard right turn, figured it might be a bushing, probably a sway bar bushing. What say you?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by limequat
Wow, kudos, to you 4DRZ.

I still have my noise, wasn't able to find anything in driver's side HVAC vent.
Do you have pics of where you were fishing in the frame rail?
See that big white bar with the two big holes in it between the carpet and floor mat in the pic on the passenger side? It is that bar, but on the driver's side. The rear seat rails bolt into it.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ezbme
I heard a thunk on a hard right turn, figured it might be a bushing, probably a sway bar bushing. What say you?
The sway bar bushings are probably ok, but the endlinks do fail- especially if you have bigger sway bars. My right front end link failed at my first track day with the Hotchkis sway bars. I replaced them with Moog endlinks and they held up fine the rest of the year.

But this is just a wild guess which will do absolutely no good without actually diagnosing the car itself. As you can see by my thread, some noises can be a real bitch to track down.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
But this is just a wild guess which will do absolutely no good without actually diagnosing the car itself. As you can see by my thread, some noises can be a real bitch to track down.
On that topic... here's another one. The first year that I had my car, I kept hearing a persistent creaking noise when getting in and out of my car. I could repeat the noise by pushing on the rear trunk by hand, and was convinced the OEM rear swaybar bushings needed to be greased. Under warranty, the dealership saw the car 3 times in service, to address the problem. Two loaner cars, PITA time out of my days, yadah yadah.

It was the 3rd visit where the cause was finally located. The parking brake shoes would squeak when engaged, parked and the car was rocking.

Weird noises. Meh.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
On that topic... here's another one. The first year that I had my car, I kept hearing a persistent creaking noise when getting in and out of my car. I could repeat the noise by pushing on the rear trunk by hand, and was convinced the OEM rear swaybar bushings needed to be greased. Under warranty, the dealership saw the car 3 times in service, to address the problem. Two loaner cars, PITA time out of my days, yadah yadah.

It was the 3rd visit where the cause was finally located. The parking brake shoes would squeak when engaged, parked and the car was rocking.

Weird noises. Meh.
I agree, tracking down squeaks and rattles can really suck. I am thinking of starting a support group.
Old 10-21-2023, 03:24 PM
sin. robinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going through the same thing

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So I have just recently started to hear a new noise I am trying to track down. It sounds like something really small is rolling around behind the front seats maybe in the roof or a door panel.

It sounds like something came loose as I have only heard this very sporadically for the last couple of weeks. It only happens in certain corners and only lasts very briefly. Nothing is loose in the car or any compartment. Just wondering if this is common or anyone had a similar situation occur.
I do not know if you are currently still acknowledging this website, but this helps that you are not alone I am experiencing the same thing I hear the role of noise when I am turning my vehicle or when I am coming to a stop it sounds like either a small pebble is rolling around inside of my door panel or a penny. I’ve been hearing it for weeks and it’s so annoying
Old 10-21-2023, 07:22 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
In my old G I had a quarter fall into the vents at the bottom of the windsheild and it would rattle anytime I had the fan on. Learned never to trust those sticky mats that go on the dash to hold onto change.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sin. robinson
I do not know if you are currently still acknowledging this website, but this helps that you are not alone I am experiencing the same thing I hear the role of noise when I am turning my vehicle or when I am coming to a stop it sounds like either a small pebble is rolling around inside of my door panel or a penny. I’ve been hearing it for weeks and it’s so annoying
Hopefully, you don't have to go through the same ordeal as me to fix the problem. Way to track down a 7 year old thread! I completely forgot about it. Now I will have nightmares about trying to find that noise. That was easily the most pain in the butt experience I have ever had with a car, but also the most rewarding to finally fix. Best of luck with your noise!