G37 Sedan

How is G37's reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
My neighbor loves his sedan but knows nothing about cars at all. Its never left him stranded in the 4 years I've known him. In fact I've never seen him change the oil, hell, even pop the hood. He just drives it everyday and throws the kids in the back and the occasional bike on the trunk rack. With regular oil and filter changes, the G could last forever.

I bet he has no idea of its capabilities...
Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitro15
I cant speak for high mileage G37's since I'm currently at 42k but my car has been absolutely bulletproof thus far. The only issue I've had is the light ring around the analog clock burning out fairly early. I had it replaced under warranty and all is well now. I do keep a strict schedule on oil changes and tire rotations but other than that I have not done anything outside of the norm as far maintenance goes. Once I hit 50k, I plan on changing the rear differential and transfer case fluid and maybe the transmission fluid depending on the total cost.

This car has been great to me and has done everything I've asked it to without a sputter. I know its still relatively young in terms of mileage just thought I'd share my experience so far. I'm coming from an Audi that gave me nothing but problems so this car has been a breath of fresh air to say the least.

In my opinion, the car's weak point is the transmission. I don't mean that in terms of reliability but rather in smoothness/operation. It is very lazy at times and is hesitant to downshift, especially with quick applications of the throttle when merging onto highways and things of that nature. It does take a little time finding its sweet spots in certain gears but you'll find that the transmission does actually produce quick, smooth shifts especially as the revs climb. The best way to describe it is the faster you drive, the better it becomes. That's the way its been for me at least. Hope this helps.

Nick
Everything Nitro15 said. My transmission is identical - I couldn't have described it better. It shifts great some days and others we are just not on the same wavelength. Usually I can throw it in sport mode and coast in traffic a bit better. It hates days where it's muggy/balmy whatever you call it. Love the car. I'm at 52k no issues and I maintain mine strict because it's my baby.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Of course after I post in this I start having issues. Car failed to start several times yesterday, worse it was at a car meet at our Maserati, Mercedes, Porsche dealer lol. Steering wheel got really heavy while driving aNd transmission wouldn't up shift for a while. Wouldn't start due to dirty throttle bodies likely, easy fix. The steering and transmission behavior are a concern.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
My neighbor loves his sedan but knows nothing about cars at all. Its never left him stranded in the 4 years I've known him. In fact I've never seen him change the oil, hell, even pop the hood. He just drives it everyday and throws the kids in the back and the occasional bike on the trunk rack. With regular oil and filter changes, the G could last forever.

I bet he has no idea of its capabilities...
He probably takes it somewhere to get the oil changed.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
Of course after I post in this I start having issues. Car failed to start several times yesterday, worse it was at a car meet at our Maserati, Mercedes, Porsche dealer lol. Steering wheel got really heavy while driving aNd transmission wouldn't up shift for a while. Wouldn't start due to dirty throttle bodies likely, easy fix. The steering and transmission behavior are a concern.
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've recently encountered. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Are you throwing any codes? Could your power steering fluid possibly be low?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM
infamous84
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
How many miles does your car have?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 AM
eurtsx

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm at 92k miles on my 2010 X, and it hasn't had a single problem. All routine maintenance done.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
I've owner my car for almost two years now. I picked it up with 91k on the dash, and now have 109k. I've only had to replace the driver's side bearings. To my knowledge, all routine maintenance had been followed by the previous owner, as he traveled with it a lot! I took her in for the 100k mile maintenance, where the bearings were replace, and all else checked out. I've been doing regular oil changes, along with the other checks and balances. No issues!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by Nitro15
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've recently encountered. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Are you throwing any codes? Could your power steering fluid possibly be low?
No codes, it could just be low, but I'm going to do the DIY fluid change with a hand pump. Hopefully that helps. I think it really could be a wheel bearing issue, those are being taken care of in a couple of days.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by infamous84
How many miles does your car have?
72k on it as of last week.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had my 2010 G37 for two years, put on 25k.
Aside from consumables (belts, rotors/pads, oil) I had the fuel baffle replaced (ticking noise). The sway bar end links still need replacing, and I've had a few occasions where the car wouldn't start due to the dirty throttle body. I may also need to replace the wheel bearings, I hear grinding when coming to a stop.
It is a night and day difference in terms of reliability, coming from Saab.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by eurtsx
I'm at 92k miles on my 2010 X, and it hasn't had a single problem. All routine maintenance done.
I'm in a similar boat. 2010 X sedan with 106k miles. No issues that haven't been self inflicted from modding.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:55 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
overall my '09 6MT sedan has been very solid at 52k. as was my '04 6MT G35 sedan. in general only routine maintenance which it should be noted is very reasonable and aligns with most standard Nissan fare.

i am a somewhat fastidious owner so while my cars were covered by warranty i made sure to action any 'issue' i found, whether real or perceived. i think the list is limited to:

- rear timing cover gasket on the 37S, replaced under warranty. this was by far the most serious issue i have dealt with on either car. it did throw codes and left me in limp mode, but did not strand me. all other 'problems' were livable and not deal breakers, but the paper gasket that is prone to failure on pre-2012 VQ's is a joke. the replacement part is not expensive, but the labour costs are in the thousands. all-in guys on the forum have paid $3k+ for the fix. up in Canada it's closer to $4k at the dealer.
- brake judder on the 37S. dealer replaced front rotors and pads, added splash shields under warranty. ultimately it turned out to be the rears brakes, uneven pad deposits. i replaced rotors and pads on my own.
- sunroof cartridge on the 37S. replaced under warranty just before B2B expired, small cracks in the black plastic trim/molding. only way i saw it was when detailing my car up close.
- replaced steering wheel trim due to chipping on 37S. dealer gave a smoking deal on labour as B2B had expired, i bought parts online for $40.
- CSC replacement on 37S, due to 'leaking', under warranty. however, i think the dealer just ran out of excuses trying to get me to go away on this issue. i paid for the MC to be replaced, and paid 1/2 hr labour for them to re+re the clutch/flywheel assembly with a newer OEM unit i bought off this forum.
- door gasket replacement on the 37S due to tearing, under warranty.
- gearbox & clutch replacement on my G35 due to bad synchros, under warranty.

Last edited by canucklehead; 05-25-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
Buzzing and rattles only, most of which you can chase and subdue without too much work.

Typical Nissanish stuff.

With this exception of the oil consumption issues some of the early models experienced, the cars are pretty much bulletproof.

The Q50s got hit for some early DAS issues, but I think they are pretty much in the same camp since essentially they are a G37 with different sheet metal (and DAS). I do think the Q50 eliminated alot of the buzzing/rattles found on the G37 as that's another area where Infiniti made improvements.

The Turbos introduced in the new models will change this perception quite a bit, but that's my opinion.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 PM
maxdrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No issues at all with mine; nothing but routine maintenance. Bought it new in early 2010 and it now has about 65k miles. Will be having the 60k service done in a couple of weeks. The G's are a tremendous value!

Quick Reply: How is G37's reliability?