G37 Sedan
View Poll Results: Which is the best option for those wanting a newer fun performance sedan?
Q50S/Red Sport 400
30.00%
Late Model low mile G37S
55.00%
Another brand/model all together (S4, CLA45, IS350, 335i etc.)
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Q50S/Red Sport (RWD) VS G35/37S Sedan (RWD) - Which is the better Sport Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Q50S/Red Sport (RWD) VS G35/37S Sedan (RWD) - Which is the better Sport Sedan?

This is for everyone interested in or considering the new Q50S and new Red Sport compared to the G35S and G37S sedans. Now if you have owned both or put in multiple hours on both we would love your reviews and opinions. I've been doing my research (which takes me yrs) before I buy a new car as mine will soon need to be replaced.

The three main things I want from my next sport sedan are as follows
- equal to better performance (handling, shifting, and quickness)
- atleast the same fun to drive level if not more
- somewhat reliable and fairly in expensive to maintain

Now when comparing the 07 G35S, 14 Q50S, and 11 G37S I have listed the specs below for weight, power, dimensions etc. I used these models as there are the major refresh or first model year of a new design.

From what I have researched here are the main things between the Q50S and Gs
- No V-LSD on the RWD models anymore (big factor I think)
- DAS and or eletric enhanced steering
- No manual option
- more nannies with VDC and safety features.

I personally have only put in a small amount of seat time in a base Q50 compared to my 07 and another 13 G37S sedan I've driven so I won't call that enough to compare myself.

Now the final question:
Is the Q50S enough of a fun, sideways sliding, smile provoking sedan that we have all loved with our Gs? Or should we find anot her newer low mileage G or even switch brands if we are wanting a fun performance sedan?

Last edited by Mkhlmnn; 05-13-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:27 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
You mean the 3.7 Sport Q50 right? Because the Red sport is a new 2016 with a Twin Turbo V6 only a few people have them. Heck Im still waiting on 3 so that we can start selling them.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by eljoker
You mean the 3.7 Sport Q50 right? Because the Red sport is a new 2016 with a Twin Turbo V6 only a few people have them. Heck Im still waiting on 3 so that we can start selling them.
Bot to be honest, there are two members that have tested the Red Sport already and one is an owner so I was hoping to get their input and any one else that has experience with it. All in all those it's a main comparison of the Q50S platform and G35S/G37S platform themselves. Which is more fun and the least intrusive, a better sport sedan if one were to take it to the track, and the better drivers car overall.

The new tech and lack of LSD are my biggest concerns when comparing it to the G35S Sport sedans. Which I already believe the VDC is too intrusive to begin with
Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Based on the reviews I've read. the Q50 TT and a G37 won't compare. However, a modded G37 will to an extent.

The reviews I've seen say that the Q50 TT transmission is tons better, a lot more torque and the handling is a lot better than a G37, even with aftermarket sways.

My biggest question is why are we comparing a car that can be bought for 20-25k Canadian to a car that is 60k Canadian?

In regards to additional options, I would say Infiniti is on the cheaper side of maintenance costs, especially compared to a Merc, BMW and Audi.
The following users liked this post:
IPL Twin (07-31-2019)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Heck Im still waiting on 3 so that we can start selling them.
^ sorry for off-topic, but when are the 300hp versions being released? my local dealers (Vancouver, Canada) have a bunch of 2.0T and a few RD400, but they won't be getting the 300hp version for a while, they said. what gives? i would expect the 300hp version to the the volume seller.

the dealers also have a bunch of '15 3.7L models in stock too. deep discounts on those.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by gavingw
Based on the reviews I've read. the Q50 TT and a G37 won't compare. However, a modded G37 will to an extent.

The reviews I've seen say that the Q50 TT transmission is tons better, a lot more torque and the handling is a lot better than a G37, even with aftermarket sways.

My biggest question is why are we comparing a car that can be bought for 20-25k Canadian to a car that is 60k Canadian?

In regards to additional options, I would say Infiniti is on the cheaper side of maintenance costs, especially compared to a Merc, BMW and Audi.
Well a 13 G37S and 14 Q50S are going to be selling at a very close price, and if the Red Sport 400 starts at 50k USD then say a year down the road or so they will probably be under 40K used. Add in the fact these are all models that US sedan owners would be cross shopping if we enjoy our current car, it makes sense to compare. Especially with your point made that the Q50S, especially the new Red Sport is more expensive to own and possibly maintain but maybe (point of the thread is to figure this out) for some reason doesn't end up being a better sport sedan (maybe due to extra tech or lack of lsd) then why waste the extra money on it?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:08 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ sorry for off-topic, but when are the 300hp versions being released? my local dealers (Vancouver, Canada) have a bunch of 2.0T and a few RD400, but they won't be getting the 300hp version for a while, they said. what gives? i would expect the 300hp version to the the volume seller.

the dealers also have a bunch of '15 3.7L models in stock too. deep discounts on those.
In the states I heard June. But I was also supposed to have RSs in 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:42 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts
It's possible that the earthquake in Japan a few weeks ago disrupted the supply chain. It wasn't has bad as Fukushima but nevertheless, it was a moderate 6.2 shaker. Kyushu island is quite a ways from Tochigi, but they do have suppliers all over the country, and it's possible that parts are constrained.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
For me the definition of a "fun" performance sport sedan includes the 3rd pedal. For that reason alone I still go with the g over the q.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:46 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
From what I've heard, the VLSD isn't even all that great. It's not a TRUE LSD per say, and once the viscous fluid loses its viscosity, you essentially have an open LSD. The viscous fluid is different from the differential fluid that you can change out. This is just from what some personal research and input from others though. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.
The following users liked this post:
Mkhlmnn (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Falker11
For me the definition of a "fun" performance sport sedan includes the 3rd pedal. For that reason alone I still go with the g over the q.
I'm with you.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by 35Sport
I'm with you.
If you would have asked me 2 years ago when I sold my car, or hell even a year and half ago i would have 110% agreed with. My last car was a 6 speed and I owned for 4 years as my only car. I loved it and am still a die hard manual lover, but and its a big BUT these days they are harder and harder to come by. Especially with japanese brands which I prefer most. I do really enjoy the paddles and transmission on my 5at in my G *when it does what I want*. If they made the G a little bit more tuner friendly or the VQ wasn't close to tapped potential wise from the factory I woudnt have even made this thread. However the new autos in certain vehicles are becoming increasingly fun to drive (the ones that wont override the drivers decision to shift or not) Driving my G with a stock G37S manual sedan my G is more aggressive to drive, shifts harder and is faster. I have learned to enjoy the auto, not as much as manual but enough that I can enjoy it as a daily.

I still wish to get a manual at the very least for a project car to accompany my next vehicle. However finding a high performance modern manual Japanese car is about as hard as finding a stripper that is virgin these days lol difficult but I am sure they are out there lol I still would prefer a manual which is why I still am considering a G37S sedan or other brands for the which. However I do love the Q50 looks and if it outperforms stock for stock with a G considerably or is equal to a tuned G and a stock Q50S it may be worth considering.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:56 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
In the states I heard June. But I was also supposed to have RSs in 2 weeks ago.
^ i actually drove a 300hp 'silver S' back to back with an RS400 today at my local dealer. i posted a review in the current RS400 first impression post.

i was very impressed with the 300hp version. it did not feel 33.3% softer. it was a stout package for sure and will clearly be the volume seller in N.A.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkhlmnn
If you would have asked me 2 years ago when I sold my car, or hell even a year and half ago i would have 110% agreed with. My last car was a 6 speed and I owned for 4 years as my only car. I loved it and am still a die hard manual lover, but and its a big BUT these days they are harder and harder to come by. Especially with japanese brands which I prefer most. I do really enjoy the paddles and transmission on my 5at in my G *when it does what I want*. If they made the G a little bit more tuner friendly or the VQ wasn't close to tapped potential wise from the factory I woudnt have even made this thread. However the new autos in certain vehicles are becoming increasingly fun to drive (the ones that wont override the drivers decision to shift or not) Driving my G with a stock G37S manual sedan my G is more aggressive to drive, shifts harder and is faster. I have learned to enjoy the auto, not as much as manual but enough that I can enjoy it as a daily.

I still wish to get a manual at the very least for a project car to accompany my next vehicle. However finding a high performance modern manual Japanese car is about as hard as finding a stripper that is virgin these days lol difficult but I am sure they are out there lol I still would prefer a manual which is why I still am considering a G37S sedan or other brands for the which. However I do love the Q50 looks and if it outperforms stock for stock with a G considerably or is equal to a tuned G and a stock Q50S it may be worth considering.
I pretty much agree with this but for me right now I just prioritize having the manual over many other options a car can have. The year in between my coupe and my sedan I had an auto - and while I loved a lot of the other creature comforts the car had, i just wasn't having fun without the manual. this was just an altima - so nothing special at all.

I travel a lot for work and rent cars pretty often - sometimes I get upgraded. The auto in a BMW 3 series was incredible in sport mode, rev matched and everything...i personally just dont get as much enjoyment out of it as I do stick.

I think the G sedan is pretty much the perfect car for me.

[A]I need a sedan because 1 kid + 1 on the way
[B]Japanese reliability since I plan to keep it long term.
[C]Since i plan to keep it long term, I can mod it.
[D]You can find one in 6MT!!

Sure there are a few other sedans you can find in 6MT
at the time
Accord - pretty bare bone - no nav/leather
BMW - can't satisfy B/C
Audi - can't satisfy B/C
Suburu WRX- I'm 32 not 23

Maybe there are some others I missed, but you get the point

Yes I had to pay carmax 500 to ship one across the country for me...but worth it.

I'm going to enjoy the heck out of my G until it dies. It's quite possible that when that happens manual will be completely phased out. So I am going to enjoy it while I still can.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
You already did Infiniti with your current car. For your next car, do something new. Get out of that rut and explore. BTW, that's a do-as-i-say-not-as-i-do kind of thing, because my G is my fourth consecutive Nissan in 24 years. Also, the Q50 styling is fine, but it's also generic and looks like so many other cars on the road, particularly the Mazda6. Not that it's unattractive... it's just not special.

Anyway... get something unique and personal.

Quick Reply: Q50S/Red Sport (RWD) VS G35/37S Sedan (RWD) - Which is the better Sport Sedan?