G37 Sedan

Electronic beep instead of honk when locking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electronic beep instead of honk when locking?

A pet peeve I have is that the Gs honk when you lock them. I have remote start, and have to press lock 3 times to start it. I hate when my neighbors honk their horns for people to come outside, and now I'm that guy. I know I can turn off the honk by holding lock/unlock on key fob. But I still want to hear something indicating I did lock car. When you press the door button to lock, it gives a nice electronic beep. May other cars have a nice electronic beep, like Lexus. Anyone have an idea of how to do this, or seen a mod done? I read someone who thought hooking up a electronic beep to sound when the door lock solenoid is activated.

Last edited by Marcel4t; 04-26-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:29 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Why go through all that hassle, just curious? Why not just keep the horn and press it once. It isn't as if you honking it like crazy, it's a small sudden honk. Or keep it silent and press it as many times as you want and look at your headlights flash to make sure it's locked.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 AM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcel4t
A pet peeve I have is that the Gs honk when you lock them. I have remote start, and have to press lock 3 times to start it. I hate when my neighbors honk their horns for people to come outside, and now I'm that guy. I know I can turn off the honk by holding lock/unlock on key fob. But I still want to hear something indicating I did lock car. When you press the door button to lock, it gives a nice electronic beep. May other cars have a nice electronic beep, like Lexus. Anyone have an idea of how to do this, or seen a mod done? I read someone who thought hooking up a electronic beep to sound when the door lock solenoid is activated.
Yep I'm that guy (3 honks to start) every morning....Lol
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
Why go through all that hassle, just curious? Why not just keep the horn and press it once. It isn't as if you honking it like crazy, it's a small sudden honk. Or keep it silent and press it as many times as you want and look at your headlights flash to make sure it's locked.
Because he has a remote starter which requires him to press the unlock button 3 times which makes the car honk loudly 3 times
Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
cammattscott

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I did this on my 98 Maxima. Basically, there is (or should be, if I recall) a "line out", if you will, from the BCM that goes to the horn. All you have to do is find that wire and cut it (again, it goes to the horn) and install your favorite beeper. In fact, it's 12V so you could just buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or whatever 12V beeper you want and install in its place. Those piezo buzzers (beepers) run about $35-45 or you could get el cheapo from Radio Shack for $4-8.

Do at your own risk, but I don't see why it would be too difficult. I may consider doing it myself, and if I do I will write it up.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cammattscott
I did this on my 98 Maxima. Basically, there is (or should be, if I recall) a "line out", if you will, from the BCM that goes to the horn. All you have to do is find that wire and cut it (again, it goes to the horn) and install your favorite beeper. In fact, it's 12V so you could just buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or whatever 12V beeper you want and install in its place. Those piezo buzzers (beepers) run about $35-45 or you could get el cheapo from Radio Shack for $4-8.

Do at your own risk, but I don't see why it would be too difficult. I may consider doing it myself, and if I do I will write it up.
Humm..so may be a separate wire that goes to horn relay for locking as opposed to honking horn with steering wheel? Would this mean two separate relays to control horn?
I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Using Consult 3 you can select the answer back on locking/unlocking the car.
You can select horn, electronic beep or turn off the answer back.

You can also configure the hazard lights answer back on locking/unlocking:
lock/unlock, lock only, unlock only or you can turn off the hazard lights answer back.

The option is under Repair->BCM->Intelligent key->Work Support menu.
I was playing with this options just 2 days ago on my G37 sedan.
I am using a cheap chinese clone consult 3 interface and Nissan consult 3 software installed on windows Xp virtual machine. For some odd reason, consult 3 work only on win xp.

If you know someone who have consult 3 you can ask to change the settings. Or just go to a dealer and ask them to make the settings for you. But i think they will charge you for that.

If you want, i can post a screenshot with the menu and options there.
The following 3 users liked this post by Elco:
Marcel4t (04-26-2016), MetsFan (04-26-2016), p0on (04-29-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Elco
Using Consult 3 you can select the answer back on locking/unlocking the car.
You can select horn, electronic beep or turn off the answer back.

You can also configure the hazard lights answer back on locking/unlocking:
lock/unlock, lock only, unlock only or you can turn off the hazard lights answer back.

The option is under Repair->BCM->Intelligent key->Work Support menu.
I was playing with this options just 2 days ago on my G37 sedan.
I am using a cheap chinese clone consult 3 interface and Nissan consult 3 software installed on windows Xp virtual machine. For some odd reason, consult 3 work only on win xp.

If you know someone who have consult 3 you can ask to change the settings. Or just go to a dealer and ask them to make the settings for you. But i think they will charge you for that.

If you want, i can post a screenshot with the menu and options there.
Now this is why I love the internet. Ask some odd random question, and someone knows an answer. I have a buddy who is a mechanic about an hour away, I'll see if he has one. Thanks, and that screen shot may help too.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Elco
Registered Member

here is the screenshot

BTW!!!
Maxima, Altima, even Versa have the same option. I enabled the beep on my Tiida (European version of Versa)
Attached Thumbnails Electronic beep instead of honk when locking?-answer-back.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Marcel4t (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 PM
SoFlo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
KP Technologies
The following users liked this post:
Marcel4t (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 PM
MetsFan
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm picking up my car on Thursday and this would definitely have annoyed me since I also got the remote start. Where can I download Consult 3?
I come from a BMW and there is a phone app (icarly) that lets you change some settings. Is there anything like that for the G?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
@Elco - what chinese clone of Consult III are you using? I wanted to get one but wasn't sure which one to pull the trigger on. This would be super helpful in the long run for changing things and possibly updating the transmission firmware.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo
Well that's an awesome option too! SoFlo, where in SoFl are you? I'm in Boynton.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MetsFan
I'm picking up my car on Thursday and this would definitely have annoyed me since I also got the remote start. Where can I download Consult 3?
I come from a BMW and there is a phone app (icarly) that lets you change some settings. Is there anything like that for the G?
Just google for "Consult 3" and you will find it. No there is no option to change settings from the phone.

Originally Posted by djdiskino
@Elco - what chinese clone of Consult III are you using? I wanted to get one but wasn't sure which one to pull the trigger on. This would be super helpful in the long run for changing things and possibly updating the transmission firmware.
I am using this one: Best Quality for Nissan Consult 3 III Professional Diagnostic Tool Update by CD | eBay
because is the cheapest one.
This one is OK for diagnostic, changing settings or programming keys.But it have some stability issues: Random disconnects. This one connect ONLY by USB.

For reprogramming, i recommend using the higher quality version: Best for Nissan Consult 3 III Software Bluetooth Professional Diagnostic Tool | eBay
This one also have bluetooth connectivity, just like the original one.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
SoFlo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcel4t
Well that's an awesome option too! SoFlo, where in SoFl are you? I'm in Boynton.
Cool... I'm in Ft Lauderdale