G37 Sedan

Stick with the G or turn to the dark side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Stick with the G or turn to the dark side?

So if my budget is right and everything goes to plan, I'll have enough to pay off my remaining finance loan on my G in one go in about a year and a half. I love this car and it's also my first car, but would love something more comfortable. Spent about 8k in mods to turn it into a mean looking daily driver but is now low enough to the point that I can't carry more than 1 person in the back seat.

I'll be stuck with 2 options. Keep the G and do more work on it or potentially trade in after paying it off and get an M3. Can anyone who's had both cars relay some pros and cons to each one?

TL;DR: I'm considering breaking the bank for an M3 in about a year. Someone convince me otherwise please.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
never owned an M but had a 328i. Great fun and really easy to look at. But have fun paying for maintenance when the 2yrs runs out. And good luck keeping it on the road after 100k miles. mine was maintained meticulously and rarely beaten. but dumb stuff started breaking that drove me into the poor house.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by IracknBack
never owned an M but had a 328i. Great fun and really easy to look at. But have fun paying for maintenance when the 2yrs runs out. And good luck keeping it on the road after 100k miles. mine was maintained meticulously and rarely beaten. but dumb stuff started breaking that drove me into the poor house.
What sort of problems did you have? Did they offer an extended warranty option?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No personal experience, but every time I've considered switching to BMW and Audi, my research has always pointed to the same results: German cars are great if bought new and ditched when the warranty is up. Expensive to own, expensive to mod and expensive to keep running once everything randomly stops working for no reason at all. So, if its in your budget and you're ok with overpaying a dealership for stupid repairs, then go for it. In the end it just wasn't something I could bring myself to do, unfortunately. Love the look of the M3 though! Just wasn't for me. Good luck in your decision, at least you've got plenty of time to decide.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
I owned a 2011 BMW M3 sold it in around a year....it is a great car. However, the cost of the car, the cost of maintenance, cost of aftermarket modifications, cost of repair all bundled together in an unreliable car that has many issues had me leaving it. The primary thing they discussed on that forum was the S65 engines connecting rod bearing issues that had the engine blowing up all over the place. The main topic seemed to be doing blackstone reports and worrying and discussing this issue...BMW did not cover this..if the engine goes your talking 20K + ....Along with this the interior was bland....but the high revving engine was intoxicating....worth owning once but not twice IMOP.

If you question the reliability then this may help you see the light...

Here is my old car...
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Forget M3. M=Why not CTS-V coupe? It would walk an M3 all day everyday and it's a platform, that is actually pretty reliable compared to M3 and S6's and the like. That or why not a 07 Z06 if you want real power that will last. If you got that kind of scratch I assume you have no kids and having a coupe is ideal. **** if I had no kids I'd be rocking a newer Z06. For the money they cannot be beaten.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Forget M3. M=Why not CTS-V coupe? It would walk an M3 all day everyday and it's a platform, that is actually pretty reliable compared to M3 and S6's and the like. That or why not a 07 Z06 if you want real power that will last. If you got that kind of scratch I assume you have no kids and having a coupe is ideal. **** if I had no kids I'd be rocking a newer Z06. For the money they cannot be beaten.
I agree with the CTSV great option as it has the LS3 engine and its supercharged like the ZR1. But the Z06 has the valve train issues and they have engines blowing up all over the place just like the S65 engine. Just type in "Ls7 z06 engine valve train issues" in google and you will see how unreliable it is also.

CTSV is a winner...
Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
I agree with the CTSV great option as it has the LS3 engine and its supercharged like the ZR1. But the Z06 has the valve train issues and they have engines blowing up all over the place just like the S65 engine. Just type in "Ls7 z06 engine valve train issues" in google and you will see how unreliable it is also.

CTSV is a winner...
Even the brand new Camaro SS is getting sweet reviews, head and shoulders above the last version.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
No kids, but do have family members that I occasionally ferry around. Which is why I didn't buy a G coupe, so my options for future cars have to be sedans too. The M3 seems like the reasonable choice. Able to carry multiple people comfortably along with good performance for the price. Seems like most here are in agreement on reliability issues with it. Any other alternatives that offer similar comfort? M5 would cost too much. Same with an RS7
Old 04-07-2016, 07:46 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll assume your on coilovers, and since your worried about being comfortable, why not, change to lowering Springs or factory shocks n struts.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Honestly I would look at a C63, E63 or even the E550. Personally Benz is an overall better car, more fun, better power options and has better reliability than BMW couterparts. If you go anything German you're going to pay ludicrous amounts of money to keep it on the road so you might aswell splurge for the top of the heap.

Honestly if it's me and I'm about to throw $40k-$50k on a used sports car I'm getting a GTR. My second option would be a C63 coupe and my third would be CTSv.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Audi's reliability has been very good the last few years... Maybe look at an S5?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 AM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Even the brand new Camaro SS is getting sweet reviews, head and shoulders above the last version.
I would actually considering buying one now. I've always loved the look and what it was but not the pathetic excuse that Chevy put in its interior...
Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Audi S6 or E63 would be my overall pick. Honestly BMW's are not that unreliable. We have an 09 128i and it's been completely reliable with only needing one issue that was taken care of under warranty(oil filter housing gasket). I would say the MB products are built better. For your price range though, I would actually suggest the Audi S3. It's insanely fun to drive and freaking quick.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
It's not entirely about reliability.

It's the fact that something will eventually need replacing, and the parts themselves are expensive in many cases.