G37 Sedan

Stick with the G or turn to the dark side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx
...I love this car and it's also my first car, but would love something more comfortable...
^ if you're after more comfort then i doubt an M3 or even a CTS-V is the car for you. you should be avoiding the hi-po spec of the cars mentioned with 'comfort' being the driver. stick with the regular spec versions (i.e. CTS/ATS non V edition), or consider some of the MB options from above. they are well known for a comfortable interior and compliant ride. same thing with some Audi's as well.

that being said, the G37 is a pretty fricken sweet car to have as a guy's first car so my suggestion would be to stay with the G. not sure your income potential, assuming you're a younger guy, but the overall cost of ownership and bang-for-buck of the G platform makes it a winner. and considering you've dumped $8k in mods it must be set up pretty nice as is. perhaps soften up the suspension, and even 'raise' (oh no!) it so you can carry passengers?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ if you're after more comfort then i doubt an M3 or even a CTS-V is the car for you. you should be avoiding the hi-po spec of the cars mentioned with 'comfort' being the driver. stick with the regular spec versions (i.e. CTS/ATS non V edition), or consider some of the MB options from above. they are well known for a comfortable interior and compliant ride. same thing with some Audi's as well.

that being said, the G37 is a pretty fricken sweet car to have as a guy's first car so my suggestion would be to stay with the G. not sure your income potential, assuming you're a younger guy, but the overall cost of ownership and bang-for-buck of the G platform makes it a winner. and considering you've dumped $8k in mods it must be set up pretty nice as is. perhaps soften up the suspension, and even 'raise' (oh no!) it so you can carry passengers?
Hersey!!!! how dare you!? Jk..I feel like im in a minority who doesn't necessarily want to lower his G...Whoops Im off topic my bad.
The following users liked this post:
G37sGraphite (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
From a financial perspective, it's a better idea to keep your car for the long haul. You'll recoup at most 75% of what you spent on those mods, and it's not like you can use them on any other car. Your car shouldn't break the bank, and if it does you'll probably end up despising it and trading it in for a more affordable model (hint: your current car). Many of us had a lot less for our first cars so just enjoy it for now, then save up so you can comfortably live with an upgrade in the future and a thicker wallet.

As canucklehead said, consider raising it so the car can function properly as a sedan that can take 5 people from point A to B.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:47 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
same boat as you. except the G has been paid off for a while now. lookin to jump in to a S4 this summer
Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Are we talking a new M3?

I'd have no reservations leasing a new M3 and letting BMW cover everything for 3 years.

Used? It would have to be CPO with a warranty, and I'd get rid of it before the warrany expired.

Higher mileage non CPO M3? No way. My FIL had a M6 and it had constant issues.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Marky-Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's hard, because you say more comfortable, but then mention an m3? If you want comfort, you need a lexus or a chrysler 300. If you want performance, and comfort.........and reliability, Lexus is-f is similar to m3. I heard brake job is 2 grand each time, but reliability is better than m3. You know, although the M3 engine is great (v8 I'm assuming you want), I'm not impressed with the way it looks, inside or out. Making the price unjustifiable. The new mustangs are comfortable and fast and nice to look at, but problem is they are way too common. I don't think I'd take an m3, or even a 335i even if it was free, because of cost of maintenence. BUT!- if money doesn't matter, I imagine M3 is a great car to own and drive.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:52 PM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
Audi S6 or E63 would be my overall pick. Honestly BMW's are not that unreliable. We have an 09 128i and it's been completely reliable with only needing one issue that was taken care of under warranty(oil filter housing gasket). I would say the MB products are built better. For your price range though, I would actually suggest the Audi S3. It's insanely fun to drive and freaking quick.
An 09 of course should be relatively reliable. It is probably just about to or around 100K miles, which is when the real problems would start.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
An 09 of course should be relatively reliable. It is probably just about to or around 100K miles, which is when the real problems would start.
It's at 80k now, but I have plenty of friends with 150k plus bimmers inclduding newer 7 series and 5 series and they honestly have not had any more issues than I've had with any of my japanese cars, in fact my last car had more issues than my friends 745i and they had the same mileage.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
It's at 80k now, but I have plenty of friends with 150k plus bimmers inclduding newer 7 series and 5 series and they honestly have not had any more issues than I've had with any of my japanese cars, in fact my last car had more issues than my friends 745i and they had the same mileage.
I worked at carmax when I was in college. They calculator their maxcare extended warranty pricing depending on repair data gathered on that model from every 335 that goes through service . When I had free time, I'd check out common repair bills for the 335i and compare them against the G37S. This data was only available to employees to use it as a selling point for the warranty. The repairs for the BMW were eye opening, and that's when I totally eliminated the 335 from the running.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
That's funny, my best friend who only buys BMW/Audi products worked at Carmax in college too. He often bought the cars that were going to auction and never had major issues. 335i's have issues on the earlier models but the f30 and later e9x are pretty reliable cars.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Marky-Mark
I don't think I'd take an m3, or even a 335i even if it was free, because of cost of maintenence.
If I had a free M3, I would easily be able to afford the maintenance. I don't think they cost more than $400/mo on average for maintenance (do they?) which is a healthy car payment. Bump it to $500 if you're comfortable paying that for a payment.

Start a savings fund and put as much as you can into it for repairs on your free M3

The only trouble now is finding someone to buy me an M3...
Old 04-08-2016, 09:11 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

You gotta be kiddin' M3!
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Hersey!!!! how dare you!? Jk..I feel like im in a minority who doesn't necessarily want to lower his G...Whoops Im off topic my bad.
Decrease performance and look like a low rider...nah I am with you.

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Honestly I would look at a C63, E63 or even the E550. Personally Benz is an overall better car, more fun, better power options and has better reliability than BMW couterparts. If you go anything German you're going to pay ludicrous amounts of money to keep it on the road so you might aswell splurge for the top of the heap.
Agreed^^^^
Back on topic:
C63 AMG or CLA45 AMG I dig the CLA AMG with the turbo charged 4 banger and the crazy pops and gurgles! Camaro is a great alternative also.....I hear allot on Audi on this forum but they are overpriced, expensive and ugly..had a friend with one complained all the time about issues...Heck I would rather have the M3.

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 04-08-2016 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Marky-Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah so I'm just saying M3 and 335i. I don't actually know about m3, but I know 335i has it's issues. I know that 328i and usually all the other straight 6 NA engines do well long term, but I feel like that car isn't worth it either because of looks aren't great, interior is unimpressive, and performance is bad. Any other v6 or even turbo 4's outperform that engine. when I drive 328's, I feel the 100hp and extra gears missing that the G has.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
If I had a free M3, I would easily be able to afford the maintenance. I don't think they cost more than $400/mo on average for maintenance (do they?) which is a healthy car payment. Bump it to $500 if you're comfortable paying that for a payment.

Start a savings fund and put as much as you can into it for repairs on your free M3

The only trouble now is finding someone to buy me an M3...
Part of the cost of maintenance on those is a second car payment for the vehicle you have to drive while M3 is in the shop for half the month every few months.