G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 08:34 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 325 Likes on 249 Posts
Ok here’s a video, maybe more like a trailer (didn’t realize how short it’d be). Chose the angle because 1) I’m a Star Wars geek and 2) I wanted show that the Motordyne system for the sedan doesn’t have the ground-clearance issue like it does for the coupe (those resonators seem to hang way low)

Side note: got the grill all dipped up, the matte mesh and gloss frame is the exact contrast I wanted (not to mention, better match for the lower grill) It’ll go on soon, with backless Fuji:

The following 2 users liked this post by STownSaint:
abrecos (02-24-2024), socketz67 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 10:04 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Rolled edge vs straight edge. Single wall, double wall, resonated. Round vs oval. Slash cut, flat cut. Clamp on, welded on. Dual tip, quad tip. Polished SS, powder coated, burnt Ti. 3 in, 3.5", 4", etc.

Options.
You’re right, get on one of these exhaust tip retailer’s website and there are a ton of filters. Going for a subtle look, so it’s a pretty easy down-select
  • Rolled edge vs straight edge.
  • Single wall, double wall,
  • resonated.
  • Round vs oval.
  • Slash cut, flat cut.
  • Clamp on, welded on.
  • Dual tip, quad tip.
  • Polished SS, powder coated, burnt Ti.
Slim pickins once I input 3 inch inlet and the above, so should zero-in pretty quickly
Old 02-25-2024, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,645 Likes on 3,475 Posts
Oh yeah, that sounds exactly right. On deceleration after heavy throttle must be awesome.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 11:04 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

There’s a big hill near my home, I don’t go fast as it’s a dense neighborhood, but I hit the speed limit quickly () then hit the downhill while in gear, with some engine braking. That sound was 🤌

Dont think I’ll have a setup for driving/POV videos anytime soon, but it’s a fantastic experience. Couldn’t be happier. Tony at Motordyne is an artist. Availability of a nice, buttery rumble, which can quickly and controllably turn into an F1-like scream, all the while keeping low-RPM driving around town or on the interstate nice and civilized.

Must imagine this is all attributable to the design process over at MD (from what I heard, Tony’s got a background as a rocket scientist or something like that)

Here’s on more shot, to show how those resonators kinda peek out just a little below the rear bumper cover. Will try to stop spamming the thread (for now…):

Last edited by STownSaint; 02-25-2024 at 11:19 AM.
abrecos (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:11 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
There’s a big hill near my home, I don’t go fast as it’s a dense neighborhood, but I hit the speed limit quickly () then hit the downhill while in gear, with some engine braking. That sound was 🤌

Dont think I’ll have a setup for driving/POV videos anytime soon, but it’s a fantastic experience. Couldn’t be happier. Tony at Motordyne is an artist. Availability of a nice, buttery rumble, which can quickly and controllably turn into an F1-like scream, all the while keeping low-RPM driving around town or on the interstate nice and civilized.

Must imagine this is all attributable to the design process over at MD (from what I heard, Tony’s got a background as a rocket scientist or something like that)

Here’s on more shot, to show how those resonators kinda peek out just a little below the rear bumper cover. Will try to stop spamming the thread (for now…):
Looks awesome and I personally love the look of big double wall polished round tips. It's reminds me my g37x Invidia Q300 tips.
STownSaint (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:46 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 219 Posts
OMG. That sounds ridiculous. R35-like via I'm guessing the x-pipe setup and gradually increasing the diameter of the tubing from 2.5" to 3.0".

Must sound like a symphony orchestra when you exit onto the highway and get up to speed.

Torque curve remains consistent? I'm assuming you still are using the factory cats since you reside in the Nation's Capital?

I was reading that the mileage even improves with this setup. Tony at MD knocked it out of the park with this exhaust.

Last edited by socketz67; 02-25-2024 at 01:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by socketz67:
abrecos (02-25-2024), STownSaint (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:09 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

It’s been a while since I’ve heard a stock R35 in-person. But I feel that if Nissan/Infiniti grew a pair and offered a sportier version of the G sedan (above the S trim package), it would sound similar to the MD exhaust. Amplifies the signature VQ engine sound, for when a driver would want it amplified. And with apparently minimal side effects (drone, rasp), although I prob need more seat time to confirm that.

You're right, stock cats. Stock everything, except for the catback exhaust and a few aesthetic tweaks. Next mod will almost certainly be sway bars, although I’d like to get a track day in with the stock ones first
abrecos (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:16 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve heard a stock R35 in-person. But I feel that if Nissan/Infiniti grew a pair and offered a sportier version of the G sedan (above the S trim package), it would sound similar to the MD exhaust. Amplifies the signature VQ engine sound, for when a driver would want it amplified. And with apparently minimal side effects (drone, rasp), although I prob need more seat time to confirm that.

You're right, stock cats. Stock everything, except for the catback exhaust and a few aesthetic tweaks. Next mod will almost certainly be sway bars, although I’d like to get a track day in with the stock ones first
You could add Injen full cold air intake that CARB certified for all 50 states and add even more sound and around 14 hp. I have this on my g37x and it's run amazing.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Next mod will almost certainly be sway bars
I support that goal. You will be very happy with how much more capable your car is with aftermarket sways.

After that, however... Short. Throw. Shifter.

What you'll like about that mod (other than the obvious) is it will send you down the rabbit hole of aftermarket shift *****, which is fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
abrecos (02-25-2024), STownSaint (02-28-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 01:44 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 219 Posts
Lots of threads debating whether or not the stock Sport Sways are any different than those on the stock Journey (springs/dampers are definitely stiffer); I've driving both and the handling is night and day. Some manufactures of aftermarket sway bars confirmed that the rear sport sway bar is indeed different (stiffer). I'm lowered, spaced with front and rear tower braces, PS-4s and alignment in spec and I sense close to zero body roll on my 2013 G37S. In fact, its pretty balanced and somewhat easy to modulate between over and understeer. This is why I have been a little shy about replacing the sway bars.
STownSaint (02-28-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:07 PM
Thedhc
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wanted wireless Carplay/Android auto for a while and today ordered one of those Chinese versions. Its not a new screen but one of those modules that hooks up to factory nav unit. Spoke to some shops on ali and found one that retained all factory options such camera and mic. For only $270 shipped. Will share how it performs when it arrives (12 or so days).
Old 02-26-2024, 02:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was trying to figure out where my thoughts were on your exhaust tips. It looked off to me somehow, even though I have similar sized and design tips.

And now I see what it is. My tips are seen against a larger SS background of the mufflers themselves, and you don't have anything there because of the Helmholtz design. The tips are just floating there, and the net effect is to assess them as being too large.

Maybe? So yeah... ovals might look better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
abrecos (02-26-2024), Krzysztof47 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:13 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
You added 10% to the pile of "painting the lower part of the bumper" as my next mod. Finding things to mod in this car that doesnt cost me $100+ and or searching in hillbilly junk yards I'll take it.

Not a mod but my OEM spoiler I found used but it had been pierced by a 9mm through both sides....

Do you know how bad of an aim you have to be to shoot a bullet in that angle?

A careful epoxy job had held nicely since.
Rochester (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:07 PM
LooseGoose3
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=STownSaint;4330535]Ok here’s a video, maybe more like a trailer (didn’t realize how short it’d be). Chose the angle because 1) I’m a Star Wars geek and 2) I wanted show that the Motordyne system for the sedan doesn’t have the ground-clearance issue like it does for the coupe (those resonators seem to hang way low)

Are you lowered?
Old 02-28-2024, 03:07 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts
Strategically planning when to put the insurance back on it and going for its first spin of 2024.

Not really sure what the plans are for the car this year. I might throw on the FI RHFCs I have sitting in the garage to add some more driving excitement since my plans for the CT5BW are on hold for another few years.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?