What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
short rear gears
Outside of adding forced induction, this is probably the most palpable mod you can make to a daily driver.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:27 PM
Josh South
Registered Member

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts
Everything he just said.

I suppose it depends how you use the car. If you live at the quarter mile, then sure, go for every ounce of peak HP you can squeeze out of it. Or if your hobby is all about numbers and bragging right, then shoot for that moon. But if you're driving the car, you know... like a normal person in traffic with other cars, then you want mid-range gains, because that's where you live.

I've always thought this was a strange argument. So much that I never bothered to get my car on the dyno. My completely unmeasured opinion is that the short rear gears, taut suspension and sticky tires all combine to give me low-end response. The intake & exhaust mods were initially providing top-end gains, until the tune cleaned things up and moved those gains into the mid-range.

IDK... not an engineer, but that's always been my thoughts on the matter. We live under the curve, not on it.

I agree, I was planning on keeping to stock airboxes with drop ins… I just loved how the engine bay looked with long tube intakes. I got my afe intakes used for a steal but always hated how they necked down. So I changed that 😎 and my tuner said they would tune for the bigger diameter, so why not. Now I just need to make it look pretty again. It’s too easy to fall into the realm of wanting to make your car faster/better but it’s always at the cost of YOUR wallet obviously. Lol
Old 06-21-2023, 08:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Outside of adding forced induction, this is probably the most palpable mod you can make to a daily driver.
I'm extremely happy with the 4.083:1 rear gears. Should have been a factory option for the 6MT.

I remember like 12 to 15 years ago, Ford offered three different rear gears in the Mustang GT, for no particular reason except that they could. I test drove two brand new GT Coupes, each with the 6MT, but one with the longer gears, and one with the shorter gears. The short-gear Mustang made a lasting impression on me, which is why years ago I made long plans to upgrade the gearing in my G.

Zero regrets. Best mod ever.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:15 PM
Josh South
Registered Member

I'm extremely happy with the 4.083:1 rear gears. Should have been a factory option for the 6MT.

I remember like 12 to 15 years ago, Ford offered three different rear gears in the Mustang GT, for no particular reason except that they could. I test drove two brand new GT Coupes, each with the 6MT, but one with the longer gears, and one with the shorter gears. The short-gear Mustang made a lasting impression on me, which is why years ago I made long plans to upgrade the gearing in my G.

Zero regrets. Best mod ever.
I don't think its possible on the AWD is it?
Old 06-24-2023, 10:42 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh South
I don't think its possible on the AWD is it?
That's my understanding as well. On a 7AT RWD, it's a heavy lift using a diff from the transition models (07-08), but possible if you can find a low mileage unit. There's also flanges that need to be changed for the driveshaft. Again, doable but requires alot of research and planning.

6MT is the most straight forward to upgrade based on my understanding as the diff itself is larger? Not sure why Infiniti decided to use different diffs across the platform.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Josh South
Registered Member

Intake update

Just updating y’all on the intakes I modified. I got a new tune file from z1 and have been driving it for a week or so. It seems to be the same through the rev range until you hit 5-6k rpm’s and it just screams all the way to the 7900 rpm redline. It now squeals the tires going into second. Whereas before it would fall off at the top a little. Throttle response has increased a little from what I can tell. Seems it helped a good amount. Not sure I would spend the $600 for 3inch intakes but if you can get some used one for a good price I’d say it’s definitely worth it.

Last edited by Josh South; 07-07-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-17-2023, 02:43 PM
Muck_Man
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Replaced the heater hose connector this weekend with a brass quick fit type unit from Home Depot. Mine was somewhat of a PITA to get out and did not fall apart like others on this forum. I only have 65k miles on a '13 so it might have been in better shape. It came out in one piece and was not brittal at all. Oh well.....one job done and piece of mind.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Muck_Man
Replaced the heater hose connector this weekend with a brass quick fit type unit from Home Depot. Mine was somewhat of a PITA to get out and did not fall apart like others on this forum. I only have 65k miles on a '13 so it might have been in better shape. It came out in one piece and was not brittal at all. Oh well.....one job done and piece of mind.
That's been on my mind for what seems like half a year now. Good for you.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:02 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

That's been on my mind for what seems like half a year now. Good for you.
Living on the edge :-)

You were talking about the need to do this a month or two ago.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Annual NYS Inspection this morning. All is fine.

In New York, shops can no longer install exhaust modifications to the catalytic converters, but if you show up with the work done, all they are required to do is verify that a catalytic converter is part of the system, OEM or otherwise. I expect even that loophole will someday be closed, and I'll have to put my OEM cats back on. But for now...
Old 07-21-2023, 10:25 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I mean, there's a current enforcement attempt to make modifying anything with emissions illegal even for off-road only vehicles, and that's interpreted as anything that increases power. Not the best link, but gets the gist: https://getjerry.com/insights/racing...sions-policies.

The idea that any street car has to keep the engine and emissions 100% stock even if converted into a race car and used off-road only.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:26 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
I installed my Z1 Long tube intakes. I already have Ark Grip Exhaust, and Berk HFC, so going to get a remote tube hopefully relatively soon.
The following users liked this post:
Josh South (07-23-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:05 AM
joe32288
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just ordered a silicon hose master set from Z1, new CSF radiator, and a new set of hood struts (I've been propping that sucker up with the wrench from my spare tire kit for like two years - way overdue).
Old 07-25-2023, 04:14 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Annual NYS Inspection this morning. All is fine.

In New York, shops can no longer install exhaust modifications to the catalytic converters, but if you show up with the work done, all they are required to do is verify that a catalytic converter is part of the system, OEM or otherwise. I expect even that loophole will someday be closed, and I'll have to put my OEM cats back on. But for now...
@Rochester - what’s an exhaust modification to the catalytic converter? Replacement (HFC or race pipes)? Or is NY just checking to make sure any form of cat exists? CA just created a requirement that says if a car comes with a y-pipe, then it cannot be replaced with any other design such as X or H pipes. My exhaust guy for over a decade told me that he had a mustang and Camaro fail because of an x pipe he installed. I looked it up online and there are people complaining. Still not sure how any of the three change emissions out of the tailpipe unless scavenging has an effect on emissions?
Old 07-25-2023, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
@Rochester - what’s an exhaust modification to the catalytic converter? Replacement (HFC or race pipes)? Or is NY just checking to make sure any form of cat exists? CA just created a requirement that says if a car comes with a y-pipe, then it cannot be replaced with any other design such as X or H pipes. My exhaust guy for over a decade told me that he had a mustang and Camaro fail because of an x pipe he installed. I looked it up online and there are people complaining. Still not sure how any of the three change emissions out of the tailpipe unless scavenging has an effect on emissions?
Things keep changing. Unless my FI RHFC setup is CARB certified...

You can't use FI cats in California, and I believe the current NY laws require California compliance.

https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Docum...ted%20pursuant

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?