G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
You know, I have yet to drive the Dragon and I live relatively near it. Lived in Asheville NC even for a while - although while there I was a fan of NC route 215.
Stopped at 12 Bones during my visit to Asheville, one of the best meals of my life
Old 03-01-2021, 09:18 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Lined up with the guys at Nissan for some pictures

The following 5 users liked this post by BULL:
BoomerSpeed01 (03-02-2021), deep0542 (03-08-2021), RosaP-37S-G (03-01-2021), rotarymike (03-02-2021), SwiftKit (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:35 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 326 Likes on 250 Posts
^the guys at my local dealerships have pretty cool cars too. I’ve not gone in without at least one offer to buy my car...

Sidenote, I kinda don’t mind that ding on the quarter panel, give the car a “used universe” vibe
Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I love these sorts of pics - very JDM vibe, and reminds me of early days with the RX7 crew in NC.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Car content - went by a wrap place close to my house to talk about getting the chrome delete on window surrounds and trunk finisher. Was quoted $800, which I believe is F-off pricing. I could get them professional painted for less.

Sigh. I'm *not* good at that sort of thing, and I know it - but I can waste a boat-load of vinyl and not come close to half that.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:10 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
LOL that's funny because I literally just ordered this today:
Amazon Amazon

I plan to get my windows tinted soon and I was going to delete the chrome trim on the windows - at least the bottom, flat strip. I'm not experienced in this sort of thing either, but I've heard the outrageous price quotes people have gotten to do this work, so I decided I'll just figure it out on my own. It's cheap enough. Also planning to get a CF trunk spoiler / lip.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:24 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I've looked at that. I had a quote about a year ago for $150 for just the window trim; I need to re-find that guy. Even if his costs have gone up, I can stomache about $200 for it... but not much more.

Same issue with powdercoating the wheels. $200 per wheel for just plain black? (with me doing the prep work and media blasting the wheels) I can buy brand new Enkeis for not much more in the color and size that I want. My last set of powdercoated wheels (the 18x7s on my RX8) were $200 for the *set*.

Prices are just oddly whack here in Charleston. Craigslist is useless, worn-out stuff is priced higher than new prices (canoes bikes being a great example).
Old 03-03-2021, 08:29 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Car content - went by a wrap place close to my house to talk about getting the chrome delete on window surrounds and trunk finisher. Was quoted $800, which I believe is F-off pricing. I could get them professional painted for less.

Sigh. I'm *not* good at that sort of thing, and I know it - but I can waste a boat-load of vinyl and not come close to half that.
That quote is absolutely insane...... How in the H*LL could they even justify that? I understand charging an arm and a leg for work you don't wanna do, but that's just insanity.
And I thought the quote I had gotten of $200 was ridiculous....

Originally Posted by backman_66
LOL that's funny because I literally just ordered this today: https://www.amazon.com/EZAUTOWRAP-Gl...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I plan to get my windows tinted soon and I was going to delete the chrome trim on the windows - at least the bottom, flat strip. I'm not experienced in this sort of thing either, but I've heard the outrageous price quotes people have gotten to do this work, so I decided I'll just figure it out on my own. It's cheap enough. Also planning to get a CF trunk spoiler / lip.
This is awesome! I've been looking for something like this so I can get my trim de-chromed.
I've seen G's both with and without the chrome around the windows with a number of different general setups on the car and I could go either way. If you leave some chrome on the car the chrome around the windows actually makes it look pretty sharp. But I've also seen some where absolutely all the chrome on the car has been painted or wrapped and that looks super clean too.
I plan to paint my grill, wheels and trunk lip here soon with the warm weather coming, so I won't have any chrome left besides the badging, which I think I may remove all of it besides the Infiniti emblem on the trunk. I'm also going to leave the emblem on the grill as chrome so it pops against the background of the painted grill. I did this when I had my coupe and it looked super clean.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
This is awesome! I've been looking for something like this so I can get my trim de-chromed.
I've seen G's both with and without the chrome around the windows with a number of different general setups on the car and I could go either way. If you leave some chrome on the car the chrome around the windows actually makes it look pretty sharp. But I've also seen some where absolutely all the chrome on the car has been painted or wrapped and that looks super clean too.
I plan to paint my grill, wheels and trunk lip here soon with the warm weather coming, so I won't have any chrome left besides the badging, which I think I may remove all of it besides the Infiniti emblem on the trunk. I'm also going to leave the emblem on the grill as chrome so it pops against the background of the painted grill. I did this when I had my coupe and it looked super clean.
I think it highly depends on the color of the car and the other accessories. My car being black, with dark windows and black wheels, the window trim stands out. I think I'll prefer it with no chrome though, and I need to black out the trunk to put the spoiler on without it looking weird. The only chrome left on the car will be the front emblem and the Skyline emblem in back, if I ever get to putting it on.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
I saved a couple pics of another member's G.. I think it's Saltman or something.

But his G inspired me to want to black out just the bottom strip on the windows.

But this one looks pretty good too.. and it's the same color as my G:

Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
But his G inspired me to want to black out just the bottom strip on the windows.
I did the same thing on my Moonlight White sedan like 6 years ago. Still there today, and I'm very happy with the look.

Go for it.

The following users liked this post:
DimX (03-10-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

I think it highly depends on the color of the car and the other accessories. My car being black, with dark windows and black wheels, the window trim stands out. I think I'll prefer it with no chrome though, and I need to black out the trunk to put the spoiler on without it looking weird. The only chrome left on the car will be the front emblem and the Skyline emblem in back, if I ever get to putting it on.
I saved a couple pics of another member's G.. I think it's Saltman or something.

But this one looks pretty good too.. and it's the same color as my G:

This is the point I was trying to make. Depending on the car's setup, it can look good with or without chrome. Just depends what's done to the car and what color it is.
My color, smoky quartz, doesn't seem to be a common color for those who modify their G's so it's difficult for me to find examples like these.
I might start with just the bottom trim and see how I like that first.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:53 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

@Rochester I never noticed that about your car. Subtle - I like it. Looks good on the red car too. @BoomerSpeed01 It's your car and your aesthetic. IMHO, I like the pic with the grey car - gray and black makes your brakes pop more. Just reads as more "Skyline" to me, and no I can't really define that. But, as mentioned, it's not that either look is objectively or subjectively worse than the other, just a matter of tastes. Which, sometimes, we agonize over the last .05% LOL - it's a car person thing. (As my wife would say, "Gearheads are crazy" with attendant eyeroll).

Mine is kinda glaring:

So I'm going to ask the guy who gave me a $150 quote a year or so ago on Friday.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Yes, it's a very subtle mod. The kind of thing almost no one would notice, so... mission accomplished, LOL.

That Vibrant Red Sedan is freaking gorgeous. I'm always been a sucker for the VR sedan. I mean, I'm good with my MW car, but if I could then I'd rather have VR.

A VR Sedan 6MT... that's the real unicorn, Mike.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:17 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

it's not that either look is objectively or subjectively worse than the other, just a matter of tastes. Which, sometimes, we agonize over the last .05% LOL - it's a car person thing.
Well said, and I agree. I just haven't done enough with the car yet to know if Id like it chrome or black.
Once I get some other other parts painted (grill, trunk lip, wheels) I'll have a much better idea of what I want to do wit the window trim. I also need to get the windows tinted, badly. That is also majorly affecting the overall look of the car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?